PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Brandon Marshall to Miami for 2010 2nd and 2011 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marshall is a great WR, but not the best in the NFL. The Patriots don't make anybody the highest paid player at his position. Not even Brady. There's no way they can justify paying Marshall almost 3 times as much as they're paying Welker. Especially with Marshall's big mouth and Brady's contract coming up. There's also absolutely no evidence that Marshall cares about winning, which is something this ownership and coaching staff care about just a little bit.

I believe the Patriots just made Wilfork the highest paid NT in the league. They also made Seymour the highest paid DL at the time when Seymour first renegotiated his contract.

I believe the Patriots just made Wilfork the highest paid NT in the league. They also made Seymour the highest paid DL at the time when Seymour first renegotiated his contract.

Since Seymour signed an extension and not a new deal he wasn't ever the highest paid DE. He got $10M AAV in new money for the 3 additional years, but he had to finish out the remaining year on his 6 year rookie deal, so over 4 years he earned $32M and averaged $8M. NT is a position in the 3-4 occupied by a DT. Vince is not nearly the highest paid DT in the league. It's called spin. The team was prepared to keep Adam as the highest paid kicker in the league...only on a deal with no bonus or guaranteed money...ergo he would not be the highest paid kicker... And at the moment it seems Shanny has Hanesworth, the highest paid DT in the league, penciled in as the highest paid NT in the league in 2010...by a wide margin.

Alge Crumpler

Perhaps you can point me to the relevant area on his profile that would support your claim that he's injury prone.

SIKIDS.com - NFL - AlgeCrumpler Injuries

And that just lists the injuries he had up to 2007. And remember the trouble he had recovering from last year's injury?? Its only going to get worse.

Yeah, you'd probably say the same thing after looking at Wilfork's career stat-line :rolleyes:

And as for Peppers (too expensive) and Taylor (done), I'm, err, surprised those are the players you'd cite when attempting to indict the front office.

Who isn't too expensive?? Kraft really needs to open up his wallet for once and fix the problems. He is one of the wealthiest owners in the NFL but is also notoriously cheap. We've been able to get away with it up until recent years but now that other teams have the "win now at any cost" mentality and are paying big money to improve their teams, we have to do the same or fall behind.

His stats are decent but we needed a real pass-rusher not another Vince Wilfork. Peppers and Taylor would have filled that position until we could find a better alternative. We haven't addressed the pass-rush at all during the offseason up to this point.

Who isn't too expensive?? Kraft really needs to open up his wallet for once and fix the problems. He is one of the wealthiest owners in the NFL but is also notoriously cheap. We've been able to get away with it up until recent years but now that other teams have the "win now at any cost" mentality and are paying big money to improve their teams, we have to do the same or fall behind.

As a thrifty Scot I am a personal expert on cheapness and I kinna say that Bob Kraft is cheap. Not cheap but a prudent businessman who risked his personal fortune on the Pats 3 different times, his initial stadium buy, purchasing the sorry franchise and finally building Gillette and Patriot Place.

Marshall is a great WR, but not the best in the NFL. The Patriots don't make anybody the highest paid player at his position. Not even Brady. There's no way they can justify paying Marshall almost 3 times as much as they're paying Welker. Especially with Marshall's big mouth and Brady's contract coming up. There's also absolutely no evidence that Marshall cares about winning, which is something this ownership and coaching staff care about just a little bit.

Marshall is ONE of the best wide receivers in the NFL and can only improve. He may not of even hit his prime yet. Moss will only go down hill and fast. When Larry Fitzgerald negotiates his contract it will be bigger than Brandon's. As for him not caring about winning....... Every time he steps on the field no one fights harder for the ball. They double, triple cover him and he shines while Moss can't handle a shading safety.

SIKIDS.com - NFL - AlgeCrumpler Injuries

And that just lists the injuries he had up to 2007. And remember the trouble he had recovering from last year's injury?? Its only going to get worse.

I don't know what that list is. It appears to note his presence on the injury report, which as we both know in and of itself means nothing.

If you look at the time he's missed throughout his career, the picture you'll see is not one of an injury-prone player.

Who isn't too expensive??

Wilfork, apparently.

Kraft really needs to open up his wallet for once and fix the problems. He is one of the wealthiest owners in the NFL but is also notoriously cheap. We've been able to get away with it up until recent years but now that other teams have the "win now at any cost" mentality and are paying big money to improve their teams, we have to do the same or fall behind.

Kraft is notoriously cheap? According to whom?

The Patriots made a fair offer to Peppers. The Bears offered him millions more, because they're a desperate and not particularly well-run organization, at least as of late.

I would have thought the coin they offered to retain Wilfork and to a lesser extent Bodden would have squelched this myth about Kraft, but sadly that doesn't seem to be the case.

His stats are decent but we needed a real pass-rusher not another Vince Wilfork. Peppers and Taylor would have filled that position until we could find a better alternative. We haven't addressed the pass-rush at all during the offseason up to this point.

What we needed was a replacement for Green, and we got that (I'd even call it an improvement, given Green's unspectacular play as of late).

Just because he haven't addressed the pass-rush to this point by signing an overpriced DE and an over-the-hill OLB doesn't mean improvements aren't in the cards. By all indications, they are. No point in getting wrapped around the axle until we see what unfolds.

Last edited:
Yep Rebuilding...or giving up 2010. You happy about that Cous.....sorry, fella?
Don't take all of this so seriously. This is for fun. I didn't start a war with you. I told you about respect.
Unless you gamble, the Patriots moves make no difference on the quality of your life.
DW Toys
You don't have respect because of your posting history. I suggest you change it then you may get from others what you so desperately wish for. People that harp on about respect are the most annoying types. So sorely wanting yet lack the ability to display it unto others.

I have no issue with the Patriots moves because the off-season hasn't finished. I want to see how everything progresses and the moves the Patriots make through the draft rather than throwing myriads of hypothetical circumstances which almost always ridiculously benefit the Patriots. Something about trusting in the process and awaiting the outcome.

that is just knuckleheaded.

The Dolphins' offense is better, but their defense is worse. I don't know if the addition of Marshall will offset that. He will definitely make Henne better, but I don't think Marshall is the difference between making them a 7-9 team last year to a division winner this year.

Here is Miami's starting defense right now (as best I can figure it out):

DE: Randy Starks
NT: Tony McDaniels
DE: Kendall Langford
OLB: Cameron Wake
ILB: Dansby
ILB: Crowder
OLB: Quentin Moses
CB: Vonte Davis
FS: Chris Clemons
SS: Yerimiah Bell
CB: Sean Smith

Close but couple of changes.
DE Starks had a great year and was close to a pro bowler (many thought he was robbed).
NT Soliai - Young player with potential played pretty well at times when Fergy went down.
DE Langford - solid player
OLB Wake was Miami's best pass rusher if you measure it by sacks or pressures per snaps played, not sure about the rest of his game.
ILB Dansby - Best ILB Miami will have and HUGE upgrade over Adolye
ILB Crowder - Solid especially with someone better than him next to him
OLB Moses/Anderson - I Agree UGH. Anderson has shown flashes but nothing consistently.
CB Davis - 2 picks of Brady in 2 games is a good start
CB Smith - Solid young corner
FS Culver - I think Ty Culver would start over Clemons but still a huge question mark. However if you watched Gibril Wilson last year you'd realize that in coverage it can't get much worse.
SS Bell Pro bowl safety, excellent in run support

Not as bad as you think. I'd feel better with a new OLB, FS and NT. It wouldn't surprise me to see JT come back despite all this Jets talk.

The Dolphins and Jets look like they've improved but as long as NE has Brady and Belechick they're the team to beat in my eyes.

Close but couple of changes.
DE Starks had a great year and was close to a pro bowler (many thought he was robbed).
NT Soliai - Young player with potential played pretty well at times when Fergy went down.
DE Langford - solid player
OLB Wake was Miami's best pass rusher if you measure it by sacks or pressures per snaps played, not sure about the rest of his game.
ILB Dansby - Best ILB Miami will have and HUGE upgrade over Adolye
ILB Crowder - Solid especially with someone better than him next to him
OLB Moses/Anderson - I Agree UGH. Anderson has shown flashes but nothing consistently.
CB Davis - 2 picks of Brady in 2 games is a good start
CB Smith - Solid young corner
FS Culver - I think Ty Culver would start over Clemons but still a huge question mark. However if you watched Gibril Wilson last year you'd realize that in coverage it can't get much worse.
SS Bell Pro bowl safety, excellent in run support

Not as bad as you think. I'd feel better with a new OLB, FS and NT. It wouldn't surprise me to see JT come back despite all this Jets talk.

The Dolphins and Jets look like they've improved but as long as NE has Brady and Belechick they're the team to beat in my eyes.

I disagree about Crowder. I think he's just north of awful actually. I'll never forget watching that Atlanta game last year and seeing Gonzalez catching a TD pass in the end zone with Crowder (who was covering) just gingerly jogging behind him.

Since Seymour signed an extension and not a new deal he wasn't ever the highest paid DE. He got $10M AAV in new money for the 3 additional years, but he had to finish out the remaining year on his 6 year rookie deal, so over 4 years he earned $32M and averaged $8M. NT is a position in the 3-4 occupied by a DT. Vince is not nearly the highest paid DT in the league. It's called spin. The team was prepared to keep Adam as the highest paid kicker in the league...only on a deal with no bonus or guaranteed money...ergo he would not be the highest paid kicker... And at the moment it seems Shanny has Hanesworth, the highest paid DT in the league, penciled in as the highest paid NT in the league in 2010...by a wide margin.

LOL at the hypocrisy of your post. If you're gonna lump Vince with the DTs, then you might as well lump Seymour with DTs because that's what he would play in a 4-3.

Regardless, NT in a 3-4 is completely different than a 4-3 DT. Different technique and skillset and considered different positions by NFL personnel. I'm not implying that players who play one position can't play the other, but teams scale their salaries based on positions. The fact that now Shanahan wants to impliment a 3-4 in DC and wants to move Haynesworth over to NT doesn't change the fact that the Redskins signed Haynesworth to that enormous contract as a 4-3 DT.

Last edited:
ok so i cant post a new thread because i dont have 100 posts but i have a question. im a dolphins fan living in colorado and in the next few months im moving to boston to go to college. im a big sox fan which i thought would help but now it just seems hypocritical and i feel like im going to get **** on by everyone in new england for being a dolphins fan. god forbid brandon marshall does great this year then the attention of pats fans might be taken off of the jets and put on miami. which is bad for me.

how much do pats fans really hate the dolphins? is it worse that im a sox fan?

ok so i cant post a new thread because i dont have 100 posts but i have a question. im a dolphins fan living in colorado and in the next few months im moving to boston to go to college. im a big sox fan which i thought would help but now it just seems hypocritical and i feel like im going to get **** on by everyone in new england for being a dolphins fan. god forbid brandon marshall does great this year then the attention of pats fans might be taken off of the jets and put on miami. which is bad for me.

I live in Texas so I can't answer for the Boston area but I personally don't hate any fans of any team as long as they aren't pricks about it. I work with passionate fans of the Texans, Cowboys, Redskins and Titans. My parents were raised in Lousiana and love the Saints. (I wish my grandpa could have lived three more years so he could have seen it) In the end, like me, they just want their team to do well. I didn't even talk trash to the Titans fan after we won 59-0 last season.

So again, I can't really say what you'll face but I would hope it depends on how you act much more than just wearing the shirt.

Just use common sense and you'll be all right.

Don't be an idiot, don't be obnoxious, and don't start fights when you're outnumbered 10-1 in a crowd and you'll be fine.

Obviously you're going to get some heat but it's not like people are going to physically abuse you. Besides, Boston and New York fans are infatuated with each other. Being a Dolphin fan barely creates a blip on the radar. The only thing less noticeable is being a Bills fan.

You should be treated with a fair amount of respect. Most of us don't hate Dolphin fans as much as Jets fans. As others have said, just don't be obnoxious.

I lived in New England for a year, and I'm a Dolphins fan and...Yankees fan[though I dont like baseball all that much, and I dont care when the Yankees lose.] It's not so bad, of course I had people randomly yell things at me like "Dolphins suck!" but that's about it. It's not nearly as bad as being here in NY around Jets fans, though Jets fans just go into hiding when the Jets start to collapse. Every team has their good fans and the obnoxious ones. With the Jets...it's about 88% obnoxious. Plus...when your team wins, you get to show off your Dolphins jersey in the enemy territory, which is sweet. I had a blast doing that after we swept the Jets this year and won the division in "their"[Giants] stadium in 08.

Plus, Patriots have a bigger rivalry with the Jets, and we obviously have a bigger rivalry with the Jets also that dates back to the 70s. I really only hate the Patriots the week leading up to when we play them, or when we need them to lose for standing purposes. But I'd much rather see the Patriots in 1st than the Jets. I ******* hate the Jets...even in April.

Maybe I should post here more. And oh wait this thread is about BMarsh. Well, my view can wait til tomorrow. But for now... he's amazing.

Last edited:
yeah, the jets really suck.

I can at least respect the 'phins.

how much do pats fans really hate the dolphins?
is it worse that im a sox fan?

short answer: a lot

As for Marshall, he seems to be excited to be in Miami. At his Presser he owned up to making mistakes in the past instead of trying to make excuses, and said he has changed. I don't really see him as a diva, Favre is way more of a diva than Marshall. His problems in Denver were with the Broncos. Mike Nolan also left Denver, and came to Miami as well. You know he put in good word with the Phins. I dont see him causing problems, he also just got married. Hopefully he really is looking just to win and become one of the best WRs of all time. I don't see him as a diva, just a rock star. He has the potential to become a star on the level on Marino, if he doesnt screw up. I dont think he will.

And he will open up the Dolphins offense completely. One of the best rushing teams should get better, #1 before Brown's injury, with defenses unable to stack the box and beat up on them. And obviously the entire WR corps will improve around him. And now they can focus almost entirely on defense in the draft.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case