PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

On to Baltimore!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd actually have either JMac or DMac do it. I think they are both faster and more agile.

Either of those two or Chung have been used in that role as well. Running QBs are often faster than LBs, but not DBs. Plus all three of those guys are good wrap tacklers.

Either of those two or Chung have been used in that role as well. Running QBs are often faster than LBs, but not DBs. Plus all three of those guys are good wrap tacklers.

I don't think you want Chung with his speed on Jackson. DMac or JJackson seems like the more likely choices to me. He really doesn't have much physical strength (e.g. Cam Newton) so being fast enough to cut down potential running angles will most probably be the primary concern when selecting.

Also I would assume different players will have that responsibility situationally.

Either way I am looking forward to this game because facing a real running threat was one of the big missing tests so far for this defense.

I am much, much more interested in the defensive adjustments throughout the game than anything else.

People keep posting this but this information is wrong. He has to miss 8 games not weeks. The bylaws were changed in 2018:

He can't be active until the Cowboys game.

My bad. I posted that before I saw your tweet referencing the 2018 rule change. NESN, Patriots.com, NBC Sports Boston and Reiss have all posted articles that articles referencing a week 11 return. I’m surprised that none of the got it right, especially Reiss.

My bad. I posted that before I saw your tweet referencing the 2018 rule change. NESN, Patriots.com, NBC Sports Boston and Reiss have all posted articles that articles referencing a week 11 return. I’m surprised that none of the got it right, especially Reiss.

I didnt know either before Miguel pointed it out. It really is a weird situation with so many missing this.

Am really not sure how good the Ravens offense is. They scored 59 points week one against Miami so that has inflated their scoring numbers a bit. Only other time they scored 30 was against the Seahawks and that included 2 defensive scores. Won a close OT game against Steelers who were down to their 3rd string QB and only beat the Bengals by a TD. If BB can figure out a way to keep Jackson in the pocket I am not sure what answers the Ravens will have.

Am really not sure how good the Ravens offense is. They scored 59 points week one against Miami so that has inflated their scoring numbers a bit. Only other time they scored 30 was against the Seahawks and that included 2 defensive scores. Won a close OT game against Steelers who were down to their 3rd string QB and only beat the Bengals by a TD. If BB can figure out a way to keep Jackson in the pocket I am not sure what answers the Ravens will have.

Its really just meh, honestly. The receivers aren't great and our secondary will blanket then with ease. A lot of their passing game comes from the TE. They are a run first team, with the QB having most of those yards.

The objective is to bottle Jackson up, don't give him space to scramble and make 50-yard run plays. (That's what he does best) He can sometimes make a deep pass but we cover those well and that doesn't scare me with him. In fact, we'd rather him be in the pocket, throwing the ball, that's when he makes mistakes and with this secondary, that equates to picks.

No way, IMO, eventually they are going to need a kicker who can make a kick that is longer than 30 yards. I don’t understand why they chose him in the first place, unless Bailey is secretly practicing to be their long distance FG kicker. He was a top rated kicker (and punter) in HS.
Maybe they are teaching Nugent how to hold for Bailey.

Jackson is becoming just like Vick. If you have team speed on defense and keep him in the pocket you’re on your way you rendering the offense ineffective. They also have an issue with drops from the receivers when he does make a pass as evident in their game against Seattle. But you could blame that on the weather.

It’s gonna be a fascinating matchup defensively for us. I’m really curious to see what we do.

The issue with Jackson is you can put together the perfect gameplan and he can still beat it. He is simply too fast to contain at times. We don't have 4.4 speed at linebacker that's my concern.

And please don't let Ingram average 6 yards per carry.

The issue with Jackson is you can put together the perfect gameplan and he can still beat it. He is simply too fast to contain at times. We don't have 4.4 speed at linebacker that's my concern.

And please don't let Ingram average 6 yards per carry.

Agreed.

You just have to limit that as much as possible. We have the defense for that so hopefully they can keep those plays tempered. I wonder how they will blitz with this type of game. The good thing is there receivers are average, if that so they will be covered. He may have to scramble for most of his offensive snaps honestly. Flush him right into the defense.

Living in MD, i've seen a good amount of Lamar.

His passing stats won't 'wow' you but what's impressive about him is converting critical 3rd downs using his legs.

The Brown beat the Ravens by going ahead multiple scores and forcing the Ravens to pass which isn't Jackson's strength right now.

We definitely can't let their running game dictate. 3rd and 6+ yards where they almost have to pass is ideal. But 3rd and short they will attack with RPO and Harbaugh has been going for 4th down consistently this year. Rationale being they can get the short yardage in two plays.

On offense, get ready to go up against a blitz happy defense. Browns beat them by making them pay for all the blitz they threw. Their OL picked up the blitzes majority of the time and Baker hit receivers down the field. The Seahawks didn't fair too well even with a mobile Wilson.

I like what McD did when he started using screens to counter all the pressure Brady was facing against the Brown yesterday. We'll definitely need some timely play-calling against this D.

I wonder if anyone saying the Pats have an easy schedule and division notice how bad the AFC North is this year and I’m not that impressed with their games agsinst their division so far.... plus the Ravens (like the Pats) also got to smack around the Dolphins.

Their D sucks.

We are going to roll chix little
True but our offense isn’t that good. Not scoring that much without all the defense points. Would be nice to see them light these guys up.

It'll be ugly but we'll be fine

Yeah, most of the Pats games this year have been kinda ugly. Back to 2003-2004 type of games. I like them. For some wacky reason, I feel happier when I trust the defense as opposed to having to trust the offense to always win the game.

True but our offense isn’t that good. Not scoring that much without all the defense points. Would be nice to see them light these guys up.

Our offense scored 20 points with another 3 coming on a short field. Not great, at all.

Pats rolled the Tebow Broncos twice, same kind of offense and the Broncos had a better defense than what the Ravens will show us Sunday night.

I don’t think BB is losing any sleep facing these guys. I’m also sure he and Brady would love to embarrass Harbaugh for obvious reasons.

Pats win big imo.

Last edited:
This is how I always game planned for fast, shifty QB's, obviously at a much lower level, but the concepts scale.

1. Inteeior DL: Gap integrity without penetration - clog the hole and sit. Do not penetrate or chase. Stay home

2. DE: set the edge, stay home, do not get deeper than the QB, and do not chase. Let him come to you. And he will! He will get frustrated/nervous standing in the pocket and will ultimately try to run. Let him run to you.

3. LB's: same as the Interior Linemen, gap integrity, don't chase let him come to you. One LB (possibly a safety) will spy the QB. His only responsibility is to shadow the QB, again not looking for penetration.

4. DBs: Mostly man coverage, don't spend time watching the QB just worry about your man.

You want to make him sit in the pocket without giving him any running lanes. If the coverage is there, He will either scramble around and run to a waiting defender or the pocket will collapse on him naturally from all sides.

I respect the Ravens, it will be a tough place to play on the road etc...but this is not some unfathomable team. They are mediocre. With that said the odds of going 16-0 are slim so probably going to drop one or two along the way and this could very well be one of them. However if we do lose it will probably be a 13-10 type score. Hopefully Mason will be back this week.

I do not expect Harry to be anything special for the Ravens game. Remember that it will be his first NFL game ever.

On the plus side, he isn't just one week in the system like other WR/TE additions have been. I still have a feeling he'll be surprisingly productive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back