PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

On to Baltimore!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if anyone saying the Pats have an easy schedule and division notice how bad the AFC North is this year and I’m not that impressed with their games agsinst their division so far.... plus the Ravens (like the Pats) also got to smack around the Dolphins.

I'm one of those people saying that the Pats have had a very easy schedule so far. They have and there's no denying that fact. That will change from here on.

I agree that the North is the weakest of the AFC divisions, but they also play the NFCW, which has 3 solid teams and a better than usual Arizona team.

Using my own ranking method prior to this week, I had the divisions ranked this way (lower is better);

NFCN - 44 (the over-rating of the Bears has helped)
NFCW - 46 (they should take over the top spot soon)
AFCS - 61 (no top team but 4 decent ones)
AFCE - 70 (two good/two bad)
NFCS - 71 (the Saints are the only top team)
AFCW - 72 (KC and the Sundon'tshine band)
AFCN - 78 (btw, this division is the least likable)
NFCE - 84 (easily the worst division in spite of the hype)

It wasn't like the Browns got up big early. That game was either 1 score or tied until the end of the 3rd quarter when Browns forced a fumble and drove 75 yards to score and go up 2 scores.

kinda sounds like how the ravens beat the seahawks

Glad to see I'm not the only one taking this game lightly. The win over the Seahawks was a BIG signature win for Jackson. How many times has Brady won in Seattle? Jackson is for real and to try to downplay his talent and abilities is ludicrous. They have another excellent running back in Ingram and have just added a all pro talent to the back end of that defense. Peters and Thomas are pretty flippin good. Factor in the coaching and bye week to prepare you have all the makings of a Ravens win. The Pats could pull one out but it will come down to the wire for sure.

mods really need to do something about the concern trolling

We’re not losing this game.

The offense- without defensive/ST points in the calculation is average 26ppg. Not their best but not horrific.

Is it ugly? Yep. Is it running at optimal efficiency? Nope. Could they use help on the o-line and at TE? Yep.

Can they score points? Yep.
Hopefully they can establish a good running game again before the playoffs.

I think we lucked out that most of the best teams are in the NFC. Only have to beat one of the Saints, Niners, Packers, Seahawks, and even Cowboys or Eagles could be decent by season's end.

Most likely we play one horribly underqualified divisional round team that we smash and then have to beat the Chiefs unless they pull their usual act and lose early.

just don't get the "scared of this ravens team" stuff

at home vs a rookie QB Kyler Murray they only beat the cardinals by 6

against the chiefs they were down 30-13 going into the 4th quarter

at home lost by 15 to the browns

needed to go to OT with the steelers who finished the game with their #3 QB

at home against the winless bengals they only won by 6

against the seahawks, that's a solid team win, bu that's the same seahawks team who only beat the bengals by 1 (in seattle), steelers by 2, rams by 1 (in seattle), browns by 4, falcons by 7 and were down by 19 with 2 minutes to play against the saints (in seattle) . so seahawks aren't exactly a dominating team, their point differential at home is -18.

Hopefully they can establish a good running game again before the playoffs.

I think we lucked out that most of the best teams are in the NFC. Only have to beat one of the Saints, Niners, Packers, Seahawks, and even Cowboys or Eagles could be decent by season's end.

Most likely we play one horribly underqualified divisional round team that we smash and then have to beat the Chiefs unless they pull their usual act and lose early.
Agree.

If we played the top 10 teams in the NFL - and we were healthy, we'd go 12-4.

just don't get the "scared of this ravens team" stuff

at home vs a rookie QB Kyler Murray they only beat the cardinals by 6

against the chiefs they were down 30-13 going into the 4th quarter

at home lost by 15 to the browns

needed to go to OT with the steelers who finished the game with their #3 QB

at home against the winless bengals they only won by 6

against the seahawks, that's a solid team win, bu that's the same seahawks team who only beat the bengals by 1 (in seattle), steelers by 2, rams by 1 (in seattle), browns by 4, falcons by 7 and were down by 19 with 2 minutes to play against the saints (in seattle) . so seahawks aren't exactly a dominating team, their point differential at home is -18.
So what you are telling me is that I should be concerned.

Awful.

The Patriots have become synonymous with electricity, wi-fi and hot showers. When it doesn't happen the way and when you expect it, there is a problem.

They've set a ridiculous stylistic standard of winning that the common fan now takes for granted when in actuality it should be the exception.

With that said, the team holds itself to that same standard as it should. The difference is for coaches and players perfection is strived for but never achieved. Its the journey of constant improvement. For fans it's the expectation.

For fans who have actually played competitive sports in their lives they should understand that. Seems like most have forgotten it and think they are watching Madden instead of real life.
What a great effing post.

What a great effing post.
Thanks. It really bothers me with what I see on this board sometimes.

I understand the expectations. Even I get caught up in it. Just need to step back and enjoy the imperfections and the bumpy road to victory.

We have it so goddamn good its not even funny.

Last edited:
Bill Belichick on Lamar Jackson: “He’s definitely a problem”

Two weeks ago, Seahawks coach Pete Carroll talked up Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson before Seattle hosted Baltimore. And that didn’t keep Baltimore from winning the game.

With six days to go until the Patriots get their first shot at trying to slow down the best quarterback from the 2018 draft class, New England coach Bill Belichick already is talking up Jackson.

“[H]e’s very fast and he’s definitely a hard guy to handle,” Belichick told reporters on Monday. “That’s definitely a problem. He’s fast and that’s really a big problem. A lot of times he just outruns people. I mean, he’s got good moves, too. . . . [A] lot of times he just outruns people with his speed.

“Catching him is an issue, especially when he keeps the ball. A lot of times he’s running against a defensive end and the ends just aren’t fast enough. They have him but they don’t have him. He’s a problem. He’s definitely a problem.”

He’s more than a problem — he’s an MVP candidate who is becoming the dual-threat quarterback that he was at Louisville, with his skills translating well to the NFL game. Buoyed by that win in Seattle, the Ravens will emerge from the bye hoping to tighten up the race for the top seed in the AFC.

Although Belichick-coached defenses typically fare very well against first- and second-year quarterbacks. Belichick-coached defenses also have struggled at times with mobile quarterbacks. Combine that with the reality that John Harbaugh-coached Ravens teams have competed well against the Patriots, and next Sunday night’s game on NBC could be a very good one.

Ravens haven’t beaten us since...2012. Hard to believe.

they have a lot of mobile QBs coming up. Too bad they have to face the best first.

Ravens don't have a great receiving corp. The team we just beat, beat the Ravens in B-more.
So, if NE wins, it was just another tomato can!

images

5DB5C644-C1DB-4A5E-B143-1AE925B3533E.jpeg CEF17AD8-1AC3-4AA1-9555-563A82A899AE.jpeg

Word is spreading...

Lmao too accurate

mods really need to do something about the concern trolling
Who has been concern trolling? Most people in this thread are confident. God forbid someone could suggest this game might be challenging. Ban them!

Ravens haven’t beaten us since...2012. Hard to believe.
Giants haven’t beaten us since XLVI. Also hard to believe :)

Let's look at the ratbirds

QB – Lamar needs no introduction. He runs for nearly 90 yards a game and there isn't much you can do on defense to stop him from running around a bit. As far as being a passer he has improved since last year. However don't buy into his stat line for passing. He had that amazing 2 week stretch of the Dolphins and Cards to start the year where he went 7 TDs 0 Ints. Since then not so good. Even if you just take out that one amazing dolphin game he is 6 passing TDs 5 Ints in the other 6 games. While he has improved as a passer he isn't great. Also while he averages about 90 yards a week running it isn't consistent. And that number is more important than you think. In games he has run for 6, 46, 66, 70, 116, 120 and 146 yards. The 6 yards was the Miami game which you can throw out the window. The other 3 games he was held to 70 or below were Cle, KC and Pitt. Loss, Loss and OT win. See a pattern there?

RB – They have a committee but it doesn't seem to matter who they run with. They all produce. Ingram, Edwards and sometimes Hill. They all pick up nice chunks. Mostly the first 2 with Ingram a bit more of a pass catching threat than the others. We'll get to that next. Overall they tend to run very well but their biggest running threat and producer by far is Jackson. Most yards on the team by over 100.

WRs/Pass catchers – Their #1 threat is Mark Andrews and he is a problem. Some Tight Ends are Tight Ends in name only. Not Andrews. He plays like he has 40 pounds on you on the field. He leads them in everything. Targets, Yards, Receptions. Brown is their clear cut #2 Option. He missed a few games but gets about as many YPG as Andrews. Brown is more of a home run hitter and a feast or famine player. He's expected to return for this game. Their #3 option is Snead who while capable isn't amazing. Boyle and Hurst are next in line at TE. While they haven't thrown a lot of passes to RBs this year they have the guys to do it. Over all they can throw any formation or personnel grouping they want at you and you need to respect it. That being said if you slow down Andrews and Brown who are the clear 1 and 2 no matter how much they mix it up it won't matter.

TEs – I won't spend much time here as I went over this group in the above post some. What I will say is they like to use their TEs a lot. It isn't at all unusual to see them have 2 out there. The Pats need to be ready for that.

OL – Their OL starters from left to right are Ronnie Stanley, Bradley Bozeman, Matt Skura, Marshall Yanda and Orlando Brown. They have been healthy pretty much all year. At tackle Stanley is one of the best young tackles in the NFL. While Brown is a 2nd year player still trying to figure it out. Not horrible but not good. At guard Yanda needs no introduction. Still among the best at his position. Bozeman is a 2nd year player and really struggling . As for Skura he isn't good either. Below average for his spot. So overall they have 2 very good lineman, 2 so-so ones and a bad one. They're better in run blocking than pass protection as many have stated.

DL – The Ravens run a 3-4 D with Wormley, Michel Pierce and Brandon Williams listed as the starters. Those 3 play most of the snaps for the DL but they tend to go lite and take them off the field often. All of them are good players but it could be argued Brandon Williams is looking a little off this year. Some of these big body guys hit 30 and it takes a little bit out of them. Their backups play a little bit but none are worth mentioning really. Interesting note. Patrick Ricard who plays snaps for them here is a 2 way player. Also a FB.

LB/EDGE - Matthew Judon and Jaylon Ferguson handle the Edge duties mostly. Judon has been a mainstay while Ferguson the rookie has been brought along and is now the clear cut #2. Not that he has been good, but they are trying hard to work him in. As for Judon he is close to an every down player and has been okay for them as a starter. PFF has him down this year but much of that is due to him having to cover for the struggling youngster, and he just isn't good enough to do it. A 2nd tier Edge guy forced into a 1st tier role and not being up to snuff. As for their other players at edge, McPhee was their starter with the plan to let Ferguson ease in (before he went on IR). Losing him hurts them badly here. This elevates Tyus Bowser to the #3 spot. Frankly he's better than Ferg but not a great player either. At this point I think they stick with Ferg and ride it out for better or worse, which is good for us for this week.

LB – Chris Board and Patrick Onwuasor are listed as starters. Onwuasor's injury is worth monitoring. When healthy Onw doesn't leave the field, but he isn't very good tbh. Board's role has quickly shrunk to nothing. It's unclear who the #2 inside LB is. Could be L.J. Fort or Josh Bynes. My guess is Bynes. Since being signed on Oct 2 he has really played well and has a history of playing well in this league. Both of them are playing at a solid level right now though. Frankly Onwu coming back may be a good thing for the Patriots.

CB – Marlon Humphrey and new addition Marcus Peters are the outside CBs. Peters was recently traded as many of you will remember. His first game here went well. Humphrey is a very solid #1 CB. Peters of course is a risk taker who can make game changing plays either way. Their #3 guy is Brandon Carr. He use to be okay in his role, but at 33 he is starting to look a little old out there. Having one of his worst years according to PFF. You won't see them put many other CBs on the field unless they absolutely have to.

S - At safety Earl Thomas and Chuck Clark handler nearly all the duties. Thomas is still good but no longer what he was. Clark is grading well this year but I don't really buy it. I still think he is a weak link and can be attacked. While it possible other guys may be seen back here I think it will pretty much be these 2. It is worth noting Tony Jefferson was the clear starter next to Thomas until going on IR

Overall. As others have noted this offense has struggled to find consistency sense week 1. As explosive as individual players may be it doesn't sustain well for long drives. Take away defensive scores and garbage time points and you really start to see a big issue here. While listed as one of the best offenses in the NFL that Miami game in week 1 when they put up 59 needs to be taken with a grain of salt. In reality they are more like a team that scores around 20 PPG than 30. The Pats D has some tough things to watch out for but they can be contained.

On defense they are solid but not great. They have a good DL but the pressure and sacks really come from the edge. The DL is more about stopping the run and they do that well. As for their edge pressure losing McPhee hurts them here. Ferg has been nearly invisible but they seem committed to him now. As for Onwa he is still unknown but we will see how that goes. Getting Bynes helped them in the middle making the heart of the D harder to attack. At CB Peters may be worth challenging and Carr is a guy they want to target. Pick on their back up safety too. He is better than most back ups but still a back up. This ravens D is solid but has a few holes and even though they made things hard for Wilson I question their pass rush talent now without McPhee. Running yards may be hard to come by.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey