PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

[Old 2020 thread] NFL Free Agency/Trade Rumors:

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think fans underestimate how much the success of the offense is the result of play design, scheming and the QB/players being on the same page about what to do given a coverage they see presnap/postsnap.

Which is why I think players like e.g. Henry who are pretty good receivers but also successful as blockers are extremely valuable because you make defenses less confident about what is coming their way. And if defenses start guessing they become easier to read which makes the job for a QB simpler in terms of finding the right read quickly.

I think Henry would be someone that simplifies the game for whoever ends up being QB much more than Ertz, who I consider just to be a bigger slot receiver.

Now whether Mariota has the ability to take advantage of all that even at a rate of 80% of what Brady was able to do I don't know and can't answer. But as I said before given the realistic options to me Mariota or Jimmy would be the ones I'd be most happy with.
Ok, thanks.

So you think BB should go after Mariota / Henry aggressively to end up where? What's your expectation with these moves? 10-6, 9-7, 11-5?

I'm thinking Henry will be the most expensive of the free agent TEs, probably get $12M APY. Do you think BB will give a TE $12M? More importantly, do you think Henry signs with Patriots given: 1. He doesn't know who'll be throwing to him, 2. Team has low odds of making playoffs.

Honestly, Chargers probably end up tagging him again to give Herbert more weapons. I think they're doing ok cap space wise.

Ok, thanks.

So you think BB should go after Mariota / Henry aggressively to end up where? What's your expectation with these moves? 10-6, 9-7, 11-5?

I'm thinking Henry will be the most expensive of the free agent TEs, probably get $12M APY. Do you think BB will give a TE $12M? More importantly, do you think Henry signs with Patriots given: 1. He doesn't know who'll be throwing to him, 2. Team has low odds of making playoffs.

Honestly, Chargers probably end up tagging him again to give Herbert more weapons. I think they're doing ok cap space wise.
I think they decide on a qb before the start of the new league year. I feel a trade coming.

The beauty of a trade is that NE would have exclusive negotiating rights with Ertz.

If Ertz is cut, then NE is competing with other buyers and that gives Ertz leverage in discussions with his new team. I believe that if someone like Jimmy was cut, that he would prefer to land back in NE, but Im not certain that he would give the Brady discount if a bigger pile of money was waiting elsewhere. NE probably has to fork over a draft pick for the Jimmy.
Yeah I'd flip a 2nd for Jimmy and a 3rd for Ertz. Before Free Agency. Then get a top-shelf receiver in FA, re-sign Andrews, and draft a guy like Waddle in the first. Boom, way better offense. Just gotta hope Stidham can be serviceable if/when Jimmy gets hurt.

Ok, thanks.

If the Chargers end up tagging him again then so be it. That's outside of anyone's control.

I agree that Henry might end up being the most expensive out of all of them and @long distance has created an amazing post with a list of potential TE targets just recently in his GM Lounge thread. I love Henry and what he brings to the table in both the pass and the run game so I am clearly biased. But I'd rather pay him 10-12M APY than 8.2M to Ertz. Clearly there will be alternatives that might be cheaper and if we can sign one of them and get somewhat similar production then that's an even better scenario. That being said personally I hope we put some money into either a WR or TE just to make the life for whoever ends up being the QB easier.

You make a good point about the likelihood of top skill players signing with us without knowing who will throw them the ball. I think it was Reiss who recently echo'd exactly the same sentiment and why he thinks that QB will be done pretty quickly this offseason.

As to the expected records. I don't have any opinion on numbers but my expectation would be a functional offense that can move the ball consistently with pass and run.

In the end the only thing I truly want when the second week of FA is over is a vet QB on the roster to not repeat last year's situation where the eventual starter only had 2-3 weeks to learn an entire playbook and system before camp. The one exception would be a delayed JimmyG signing because he wouldn't start from scratch.

Yeah I'd flip a 2nd for Jimmy and a 3rd for Ertz. Before Free Agency. Then get a top-shelf receiver in FA, re-sign Andrews, and draft a guy like Waddle in the first. Boom, way better offense. Just gotta hope Stidham can be serviceable if/when Jimmy gets hurt.
Way too much put into the offense while ignoring the defense. Ignoring the lines is not how BB builds his teams. And more is needed than just resigning Andrews for the O-line.. In fact, it will be a huge letdown if they re-sign him over Thuney.

Way too much put into the offense while ignoring the defense. Ignoring the lines is not how BB builds his teams. And more is needed than just resigning Andrews for the O-line.. In fact, it will be a huge letdown if they re-sign him over Thuney.
I agree that it is a lot of investment just in skill positions, but I feel like the complete lack of any talent at QB and relatively little talent at WR necessitates it. I agree though that DL is a big need too. OL is probably OK but could use reinforcement.

Are we the jets who play their Super Bowl when they play us.

Let us focus on our division and the playoffs, not one game with an NFC team. I would rather beat Miami.

Panthers just released Kawaan Short. Played sparingly last 2 seasons due to shoulder injuries/surgeries. Hes 32, not that old. The big ? is his health going forward. Was one of the best dts in league a few years ago. Expendable now
that they have excellent rookie Derrick Brown and one of best front 7's in the
league. My guess is he's willing to rework his contract now for less$. A position of need for us. Worth kickin' the tires on.

Very true.

Very true.
Thuney is a better player than Andrews but they have no in house alternative to Andrews

Thuney to Onwenu is a definite downgrade but not a massive one if we buy into what Onwenu showed last year

Andrews to some random rookie or low end veteran is a major issue for pass protection.

I agree that it is a lot of investment just in skill positions, but I feel like the complete lack of any talent at QB and relatively little talent at WR necessitates it. I agree though that DL is a big need too. OL is probably OK but could use reinforcement.

We'll have to agree to disagree. You don't throw away draft picks on 30 something year old TEs who are coming off injury plagued seasons who stand to be a UFA at the end of the year. Ertz isn't worth a 3rd round pick. They'll be better off looking to see who else is available than making a trade for Ertz which will eat up over $8M in cap space and cost the Pats much needed draft capitol.

I can agree that the Pats need to add a WR, but, in all honesty, no WR they draft is going to come in and be a savior or have any MAJOR impact during their first year. This idea that people have that it will happen is nonsensical. Even Deion Branch took more than a year before he was comfortable in the offense. I'm not sure if BB is enamored with any of the names floating around at WR and that includes Odell Beckham.

The Pats priority, first and foremost, is going to be a QB. But I don't see them shelling out big draft capitol (like a 2nd) to bring Garoppolo back. As much as I despise the idea of Newton coming back, I think that BB will have him put through the paces to see where that shoulder is at. Then BB will decide what he wants to do. Especially as there stands to be some talent released in the next few weeks before the start of Free Agency. Oh. and I don't believe BB has any intent of drafting a QB in either of the 1st two rounds this year.

OL is only "OK" if Cajuste and Cunningham are actually worthty of roster spots. Nothing I've seen say that Cunningham is anything more than a warm body who, in theory, knows what he's supposed to do. He's gotten minimal snaps the past two seasons. Andrews is an adequate to above average Center. He's a poor man's Koppen, imho. He gets burned more on stunts and delayed blitzes than Koppen did. And Andrews isn't really stout against the "NT" type player. That's why I'm hoping they keep Thuney and move him to center permanently because I fee he can do what Andrews couldn't.

And Andrews isn't really stout against the "NT" type player. That's why I'm hoping they keep Thuney and move him to center permanently because I fee he can do what Andrews couldn't.

Andrews is very good C for BB - IQ, glue & lucky charm of this OL - and id be surprised if they dont bring him back at 29 y old unless there are bigger worries about his health. He will be cheap enough id guess. They might bring in some strong G/C rookie in a very good OL draft.

Paying Thuney 12-15M apy and move him to center is not a very sound move and im surprised our roster guru would suggest something like that. They have Mason on 10M already and Wynn's 5th yr option / extension is coming up so even if we assume Cannon's contract is dropped that would be way too much money on one position. Also, there are probably teams that see Thuney as LT and will be happy to pay the projected price.

Paying Thuney 12-15M apy and move him to center is not a very sound move and im surprised our roster guru would suggest something like that. They have Mason on 10M already and Wynn's 5th yr option / extension is coming up so even if we assume Cannon's contract is dropped that would be way too much money on one position. Also, there are probably teams that see Thuney as LT and will be happy to pay the projected price.
Wait, @DaBruinz is a guru? Damn, I'm glad I backed off on the cap stuff earlier. You never go up against a guru. Or is that a Gura (Giant Underwater Rubber Animal)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes