PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

[Old 2020 thread] NFL Free Agency/Trade Rumors:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Detroit has to win now. Both Matty P and Quinn are on the hot seat.

if we were to trade with them it would be us giving up a Gilmore, Thuney type and picks.

Is he willing to sign for the veteran minimum?

We say that about almost every seasoned vet, and then complain when they sign elsewhere.

The question is a simple one. Is it worth it to bring it a veteran to only add 2-3 wins? I think this result is likely. Also, I understand two of other positions. One is that we should tank, trading picks into 2021. The other position is that belichick is so much better than the rest of the league in evaluating draftees that Stidham is our franchise QB, and that no veteran backup is needed except Hoyer.

The question is a simple one. Is it worth it to bring it a veteran to only add 2-3 wins? I think this result is likely. Also, I understand two of other positions. One is that we should tank, trading picks into 2021. The other position is that Belichick is so much better than the rest of the league in evaluating draftees that Stidham is our franchise QB, and that no veteran backup is needed except Hoyer.
Count me as among those who do not subscribe to the other position...

We say that about almost every seasoned vet, and then complain when they sign elsewhere.

The question is a simple one. Is it worth it to bring it a veteran to only add 2-3 wins? I think this result is likely. Also, I understand two of other positions. One is that we should tank, trading picks into 2021. The other position is that belichick is so much better than the rest of the league in evaluating draftees that Stidham is our franchise QB, and that no veteran backup is needed except Hoyer.

It wasn't really a serious question. Of course he wouldn't sign for the veteran minimum, and none of us should be upset about that.

Pass. He can go “look at me” elsewhere. Don’t even want him for free.
People can change as they mature. He has a ton of raw talent and experience. McDaniels and BB would obviously have to be convinced that he could buy into a team first approach and a new scheme.
Cam Newton is so far and away more talented than Stidham or Brian Hoyer. He would not have to sign for the veteran minimum but he would have to take less than full value. If he would take one year for 10 million and he will commit to not being all about himself, the Pats should jump at it. he would be so motivated to prove himself this year so he could get long term big $ in free agency next year.

Cam's scouting report when he was drafted:

NFL Draft & Combine Profile - Cameron Newton | NFL.com

I realize he has been injured and is older...but come on if you could get him for 10 million for 1 year...yes you do that!

• Newton has a rare blend of height, strength and speed
  • Fierce competitor and emotional leader
  • Flashes the ability to zip the ball into tight spots
  • Has a quick, over-the-top delivery
  • Puts a ton of revolutions on the ball and can make all the throws
  • Frequently evades the rush for second-chance opportunities
  • Threat to pick up large chunks when he tucks

People can change as they mature. He has a ton of raw talent and experience. McDaniels and BB would obviously have to be convinced that he could buy into a team first approach and a new scheme.
Cam Newton is so far and away more talented than Stidham or Brian Hoyer. He would not have too sign for the veteran min mum but he would have to take less than full value. If he would take one year for 10 million and he will commit to not being all about himself, the Pats should jump at it.

I realize he has been injured and is older...but come on if you could get him for 10 million for 1 year...yes you do that!

People act like he's the only QB with an ego when that's pretty much the norm.

Cam Newton is so far and away more talented than Stidham or Brian Hoyer. He would not have too sign for the veteran min mum but he would have to take less than full value. If he would take one year for 10 million and he will commit to not being all about himself, the Pats should jump at it.

upload_2020-4-12_17-57-44.jpeg

« Look at me, everyone ! I’m a personality ! »

Hard pass. Let’s see what we have in Stiddy for 2020 and reassess.

People act like he's the only QB with an ego when that's pretty much the norm.
Ego, in terms of « believing in their ability » is fine. Being a personality first - pass.

Wentz, Ryan, Jackson, Mahomes. They are all MUCH more low key. Brees & Wilson are a bit more « out there in public » but their production is far and away ahead of Cam’s.

View attachment 26866

« Look at me, everyone ! I’m a personality ! »

Hard pass. Let’s see what we have in Stiddy for 2020 and reassess.

Understand you do not like Newton's persona (I do not either). But the opportunity to get such a talented QB for pennies on the dollar even if for just a year is a rare one. If he committed to toning it down for this year...would be so entertaining.

I do not see Stidham as a long term answer at QB based on his work in college. Can he be a very good backup or solid spot starter yes...but BB wants to win EVERY year.

Cam Newton would give Pats a chance to compete this year. They will not compete with Stidham this year.

Understand you do not like Newton's persona (I do not either). But the opportunity to get such a talented QB for pennies on the dollar even if for just a year is a rare one. If he committed to toning it down for this year...would be so entertaining.

I do not see Stidham as a long term answer at QB based on his work in college. Can he be a very good backup or solid spot starter yes...but BB wants to win EVERY year.

Cam Newton would give Pats a chance to compete this year. They will not compete with Stidham this year.
Maybe you’re right. I think Cam is too inaccurate.

David Johnson sucks, Will Fuller can't stay healthy, Brandin Cooks has failed to live up to expectations everywhere, and Kenny Stills is a journeyman. Hopkins was arguably the best receiver in the league and his contract was totally reasonable. It's unclear how they're "competing" with the Chiefs and Ravens; offenses don't play each other.
AHHHAAA. Prime...Therein lies the problem. Hopkins wanted a raise.
DW Toys

AHHHAAA. Prime...Therein lies the problem. Hopkins wanted a raise.
DW Toys
They still could've held onto him for one more year instead of taking back two bad contracts with players in decline (one in a massive decline) and signing Cobb which almost adds up to what Hopkins was asking for.

Rumor is that O'Brien was getting irritated players were looking up to Hopkins more than the actual HC.

Cam Newton is so far and away more talented than Stidham or Brian Hoyer. He would not have to sign for the veteran minimum but he would have to take less than full value. If he would take one year for 10 million and he will commit to not being all about himself, the Pats should jump at it. he would be so motivated to prove himself this year so he could get long term big $ in free agency next year.

Plus those two superbowls he almost single handedly won!

Count me as among those who do not subscribe to the other position...

Bill has Lieutenants who handle the Draft. Not a Fan of them or their picks.
I think BB is great in gambling off the street players and trades.
His won and lost but for the most part say 50% is a success rate. Even say 40% For every Hainsworth there is a Talib etc.
The Pats record in the Draft success is probably less than 20%.
The league average upon success is between 17% and 19%, That is about 1 and 1/4 player success over a three year period of time.
So in a three year period of time each Team might keep 4 players that are starters, pro bowl caliber or valuable back up.
The rest are replaceable or cut.
Now each Team might have a great Draft class to bend the curve and the highest success or keeping picks are bad Teams.
In the past three years, we have two starters, a punter, a part time pass rusher and a definite maybe at QB. Amazingly 6 of last year's picks are still with the Team but other than Harry certainly replaceable or injury release possibilities.
So say 5 out of 28 NFL authorized picks of 7 per year and the Pats are at 17.8%. If Harry makes it, the % gets better but then I see them moving Michel at some point and Stidham?????....who knows?
So successful in the Draft? Nay nay.
DW Toys

Detroit has to win now. Both Matty P and Quinn are on the hot seat.

if we were to trade with them it would be us giving up a Gilmore, Thuney type and picks.

Say if it was Gilmore, our 1st and a 3rd for the 3rd overall pick. Would people do that deal? Would Bill?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe