PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

[Old 2020 thread] NFL Free Agency/Trade Rumors:

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Texans have no draft picks and Cooks adds very little that Fuller and Stills don't already provide. Cooks was a #3 receiver on the Rams; in this group he's going to need to be the #1. In isolation, it's fine - Cooks is better than Sanu, though the Patriots paid a premium for desperation - but it's just apocalyptically bad once you consider the context of the Hopkins trade. They essentially turned DeAndre Hopkins into Brandin Cooks and David Johnson, and didn't actually save any money because Johnson is obscenely overpaid.

Apocalyptically bad?

Clearly, Bill O'Brien and Jack Easterby are going all in for speed to compete with the Ravens and the Chiefs. Trading Hopkins was questionable, but even more questionable was the deal they signed him to in 2017. They got out from under that for only $3M in dead cap money for 2020.

David Johnson is due $10.5M with a $956K roster bonus - fully guaranteed. The positional group at RB/FB for the Texans is a total 2020 cap hit of $17.3M The New England Patriots positional cap hit at RB/FB is $17.4M.

David Johnson is expected to produce.

Apocalyptically bad?

Clearly, Bill O'Brien and Jack Easterby are going all in for speed to compete with the Ravens and the Chiefs. Trading Hopkins was questionable, but even more questionable was the deal they signed him to in 2017. They got out from under that for only $3M in dead cap money for 2020.

David Johnson is due $10.5M with a $956K roster bonus - fully guaranteed. The positional group at RB/FB for the Texans is a total 2020 cap hit of $17.3M The New England Patriots positional cap hit at RB/FB is $17.4M.

David Johnson sucks, Will Fuller can't stay healthy, Brandin Cooks has failed to live up to expectations everywhere, and Kenny Stills is a journeyman. Hopkins was arguably the best receiver in the league and his contract was totally reasonable. It's unclear how they're "competing" with the Chiefs and Ravens; offenses don't play each other.

Thuney (be it extension or trade) seems blindingly obvious so it definitely will not be Thuney.

Or Thuney could be cut.

Cutting Thuney might sound outrageous, but that's where we were before free agency started; we expected that we wouldn't sign Thuney.

It is Belichick's style to cut a player (doing him a solid) instead of just taking a 6th from some terrible team. Obviously, if Belichick can get a significant draft choice, he'll take it.

Of course, cutting Thuney would be sad since we'd be losing the equivalent of a 2021 3rd from the comp system.

Or Thuney could be cut.

Cutting Thuney might sound outrageous, but that's where we were before free agency started; we expected that we wouldn't sign Thuney.

It is Belichick's style to cut a player (doing him a solid) instead of just taking a 6th from some terrible team. Obviously, if Belichick can get a significant draft choice, he'll take it.

Of course, cutting Thuney would be sad since we'd be losing the equivalent of a 2021 3rd from the comp system.
That would be a bold move seeing his contract is guaranteed.

David Johnson sucks, Will Fuller can't stay healthy, Brandin Cooks has failed to live up to expectations everywhere, and Kenny Stills is a journeyman. Hopkins was arguably the best receiver in the league and his contract was totally reasonable. It's unclear how they're "competing" with the Chiefs and Ravens; offenses don't play each other.

We'll see. Going into the draft, Bill O'Brien has good players in each of his offensive skill positions. I'd argue that they are better off at QB, WR, TE than the Patriots right now. RB depends on whether their gamble on David Johnson pays off.

The Texans have won 4 out of the past 5 AFC South titles. O'Brien's got a winning culture down there, due in large part to his New England Patriots coaching and front office staff.

To your point that offenses don't play offenses, I completely disagree with that. To compete when you get to the playoffs, it's crucial to be able to put points on the board to match high octane opponents. The Patriots do not win the AFCC against the Chiefs two years ago unless Brady and the offense could match Mahomes and his offense score for score.

Last edited:
That would be a bold move seeing his contract is guaranteed.

my bad. Once Thuney signed, his contract is guaranteed. So, a trade would be required.

I'd argue that they are better off at QB, WR, TE than the Patriots right now. .

There aren't many teams in the AFC that aren't better off than we are at QB, WR and TE.

We'll see. Going into the draft, Bill O'Brien has good players in each of his offensive skill positions. I'd argue that they are better off at QB, WR, TE than the Patriots right now. RB depends on whether their gamble on David Johnson pays off.

The Texans have won 4 out of the past 5 AFC South titles. O'Brien's got a winning culture down there, due in large part to his New England Patriots coaching and front office staff.

To your point that offenses don't play offenses, I completely disagree with that. To compete when you get to the playoffs, it's crucial to be able to put points on the board to match high octane opponents. The Patriots do not win the AFCC against the Chiefs two years ago unless Brady and the offense could match Mahomes and his offense score for score.

The Ravens lost to a slow-paced rushing offense in the playoffs. The 2018 Patriots were hardly a fast-paced team.

O'Brien's a bad coach with a good quarterback who was previously throwing to a great wide receiver. There's your winning culture. He got rid of the great receiver. Their current crop of receivers all look very similar. He has no draft picks. He's paying a bunch of money for a bad running back. Their offense is worse than it was last year and they're without a 1st rounder til 2022. The Titans are an ascending team. The Colts could be too if Rivers is better than Brissett.

There aren't many teams in the AFC that aren't better off than we are at QB, WR and TE.

I put this on McDaniels. Aside from OLine which Scar gives input on drafted guys, they haven't found anyone good on offense. Relied on prior O'Brien draft picks like Gronk, Edelman, etc.

Moron Nick Wright suggested a gift trade of Tua's rights by the Lions for Pats #23 pick,a #3rd and Jules.

Can someone explain Jules twitter response to Nick- Nice hairline bro?

Is he infering Wright has a bad toupee?

Moron Nick Wright suggested a gift trade of Tua's rights by the Lions for Pats #23 pick,a #3rd and Jules.

Can someone explain Jules twitter response to Nick- Nice hairline bro?

Is he infering Wright has a bad toupee?
I would do That to let Tua heal for a year and trade one of him or Stidham.

The Patriots getting the 3rd overall pick in the draft for #23, 3rd round pick and Jules is a pipe dream. That will not happen.
Now if they threw in 2021 first rounder or possibly a 2nd rounder it might happen. But we all know BB does not do that.
How could you possibly gamble that much on Tua without having team doctors examine him...

The Patriots getting the 3rd overall pick in the draft for #23, 3rd round pick and Jules is a pipe dream. That will not happen.
Now if they threw in 2021 first rounder or possibly a 2nd rounder it might happen. But we all know BB does not do that.
How could you possibly gamble that much on Tua without having team doctors examine him...
BB knows everything about Tua from Saban if he feels he is worth it he will give up a haul.

BB knows everything about Tua from Saban if he feels he is worth it he will give up a haul.

Edelman is worth almost nothing in trade, except to TB.

So, what would it take? I would think that 3 firsts may not be enough. You could check the draft value. I would suspect that it would take at least 3 firsts, a 2nd and a 3rd. And yes, this could be worth it if the team is sold on Tua.

That being said, DET can probably get more by simply trading down a few times, starting with MIA. Or they can trade with MIA, and pick up who they wanted anyway plus a couple of picks.

Last edited:

So, what would it take? I would think that 3 firsts may not be enough. You could check the draft value. I would suspect that it would take at least 3 firsts, a 2nd and a 3rd. And yes, this could be worth it if the team is sold on Tua.

That being said, DET can probably get more by simply trading down a few times, starting with MIA. Or they can trade with MIA, and pick up who they wanted anyway plus a couple of picks.
That’s exactly what I think Detroit would love to do trade with Miami pick up a third and still draft Okudah.

Hopkins disappeared at times last regular season and was 0 TDs and 2 fumbles in the post season. Plus, Hopkins wanted more money.

Not saying hes finished in the NFL but the Texans were looking for a WR when they found Hopkins and this draft is loaded with WRs. Texans are still a 10 win team with or without Hopkins.
I didn't realize he averaged a meager 11.7 yards a catch last season. That's pretty bad.

With that being said, I still keep him over David Johnson and Cooks.

Draft another guy, if you hit on him and Hopkins has another year like this, then you trade him.

Apocalyptically bad?

IMO Cousins,
B.O. and his past WR had an issue we will never know about. He wound up with Cooks and Cobb. Both apparently are good soldiers in the locker room. Cooks had an off-year but still the pair add up to 97 receptions and 5 TD's verses 104 and 7 for Hopkins. Hopkins had immense talent. He was 27. Cobb is 29 and Cooks is 26. Cobb was not used to his fullest.
I can see the dilemma. I would have tried to save the relationship but the deal he got for two is doable.
He'll probably Draft a WR is this packed Draft class.
DW Toys

If I was Bill, and the last time I checked I am not, my plan would be as follows:

* Trade this years #23 to a middle pack team that has a chance of underachieving next year for their 2021 #1 (Chargers/Jaguars/Cardinals) with the hope they land in the 8-12 range.

* Trade both 2021 1sts and anything else gor T. Lawrence. WHATEVER IT TAKES!!!

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick