PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

[Old 2020 thread] NFL Free Agency/Trade Rumors:

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tend to agree that's what a rational GM would acknowledge...so why did Bill throw 8 figures - again! - at DMac?

Bill sees DMac, Hightower and Slater as the modern day Willie McGinests. The locker room godfathers carrying on the Patriot Way. I don’t think they see this as a rebuilding year, but even if they did, they still need to maintain a leadership bridge to the future.

We’ve heard a lot about the 11-5 2008 season (and I mean a lot). The 2020 season will be a roster lacking talent against a brutal schedule...so the opposite of 2008.

We’ve heard a lot about the 11-5 2008 season (and I mean a lot). The 2020 season will be a roster lacking talent against a brutal schedule...so the opposite of 2008.
The 2008 season may have been the worst season I've ever seen. The entire league was pretty bad.

No question, the phones are down in Foxborough.
DW Toys

AJ Bouye traded to the Broncos

Miller going to the Panthers

Cedric Ogbuehi to the Seahawks

Bill sees DMac, Hightower and Slater as the modern day Willie McGinests. The locker room godfathers carrying on the Patriot Way. I don’t think they see this as a rebuilding year, but even if they did, they still need to maintain a leadership bridge to the future.
The Pats just lost their competitive advantage, the major reason why players wanted to come here in the first place. As much as I respect BB, in this system, Brady made it go. Bargain hopping isn't going to get this team back to the promised land, not with the uncertainty at QB and with players asking themselves, why should I take less to play for the Patriots?

The simple reality is, the Pats are sorely lacking in WR/TE/DL game-changing playmakers, lack across the board positional depth, have condensed a significant amount of capital in the Secondary and are hamstrung by what can only be looked at as poor cap management. That's not to say the team hasn't been trying because I'm sure they have but as I see it, as much as I would like them to compete for championships, as currently constructed, the roster is incredibly unbalanced and frankly, probably worth .500.

I don't know what we have in Stidham but without legitimate pass catching talent, he's being set up to fail.

This years brutal schedule is our friend. It will hasten the development of our team chemistry, through trial by combat. It doesn't mean we fail to make the playoffs. At worst, it means by years end, no one will want to play us. Period.

This years brutal schedule is our friend. It will hasten the development of our team chemistry, through trial by combat. It doesn't mean we fail to make the playoffs. At worst, it means by years end, no one will want to play us. Period.

And allow us to more easily tank for Lawrence!

Good thing we just made 3 of the last 4 Super Bowls and won two of them.

Or did you expect it to go on forever?

So 5-11?

Woah, things must be grim when players are turning down higher multi-year offers from NEP to go play at Miami. :eek:

So far:

MIA: Karras, Van Noy, Roberts
DET: Harmon, Shelton, Collins

Coaches: Scarnecchia, Judge, Bielema

Woah, things must be grim when players are turning down higher multi-year offers from NEP to go play at Miami. :eek:

So far:

It’s almost like there’s some reason players are no longer interested, like a recent change. I’ll let you know if I discover anything in my research.

Last edited:
You're forgetting Terez Hall. A guy the Pats had on the PS last year and whom they seem high on.

I didn’t forget him. But he didn’t see the field, so I didn’t include him. We’ll see how he does.

Well, these guys are still unsigned:
T Marshall Newhouse
WR Phillip Dorsett
DE Shilique Calhoun
G James Ferentz
K Nick Folk
ST Nate Ebner

Marshall Newhouse would be the starting RT on the Bucs right now. And he might not be much worse than the LT. :eek:

Oh, wait. This is heresy. The Bucs are going to the SB, I forgot. ;)

Let's all calm down a little. We actually kept our best free agent in Joe Thuney. Van Noy and Collins were off regardless of whether Brady stayed or not.

Does anyone really care about Shelton or Roberts? The run D stank last year and Shelton was a big part of that. Roberts was a limited backup LB. Karras would have been nice as insurance due to Andrews' situation but we can find another backup center.

I know everything thinks the sky is falling but perhaps we can have a little faith in Bill for the time being. It's literally day 2 of free agency.

Let's all calm down a little. We actually kept our best free agent in Joe Thuney. Van Noy and Collins were off regardless of whether Brady stayed or not.

Does anyone really care about Shelton or Roberts? The run D stank last year and Shelton was a big part of that. Roberts was a limited backup LB. Karras would have been nice as insurance due to Andrews' situation but we can find another backup center.

I know everything thinks the sky is falling but perhaps we can have a little faith in Bill for the time being. It's literally day 2 of free agency.
Every year is the same thing.
Problem is, last year we waited and Bill couldnt field a competitive offense.
This year we have the same ****ty offense minus a QB...so yeah, the sky isnt falling but its a little bit cloudy.

Exactly, you make a series of good points. If the Patriots had huge cap space would anyone really want to give these players that have signed with other teams the same contract to stay with the Pats? No. I'd have liked KVN to keep playing for the Patriots but at $15 mil per season he doesn't have the impact for that type of money yet he is still a very good player.

Investing the money in Thuney is the smart move, either we continue to have the best Guard pairing in the NFL or we trade him for a decent pick and open up more cap space.

So far:

Add the Giants Joe Judge to your list as he just stole Nate Ebner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes