PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

[Old 2020 thread] NFL Free Agency/Trade Rumors:

Status
Not open for further replies.
For argument purposes let's say in 2000 Drew Bledsoe played for Green Bay and Brett Farve played for the Patriots. Take it a step further and say in 2000 Tom Brady was drafted by GB and Aaron Rodgers was drafted by the Patriots (remember...hypothetical). All other players and coaches throughout the years are the same. Mike Sherman coach of GB and BB coach of the Pats to start the 2001 season.

Who wins more championships in that span under this scenario, the Patriots or the Packers?

Brady would have sat behind Farve and got better as well I don’t know the answer to this. I’ll go GB cause I see Rodgers choking away games that Brady won us and how good would Rodgers be throwing to non all pro WR. Brady would’ve had talent to throw to all those years, prime Nelson/Cobb with a good coach

Many people on this board are relatively new Pats fans who joined in the past 10 years...

I know. That's why you have to snap them into reality every now and then. :rolleyes:

Brady would have sat behind Farve and got better as well I don’t know the answer to this. I’ll go GB cause I see Rodgers choking away games that Brady won us and how good would Rodgers be throwing to non all pro WR. Brady would’ve had talent to throw to all those years, prime Nelson/Cobb with a good coach

If you think Mike Sherman is going to start the 3rd or 4th string quarterback over 100 million $ QB Drew Bledsoe you're probably not really thinking this through.

Last edited:
I’d sign Jordan Reed

Some of us remember what happened the last time the Patriots had a brain damaged tight end from Connecticut who played college football at Florida.

I would kick the tires on Reed at least....a modest contract offer laden with incentives tied to playing time. The guy might be one more concussion away from retirement, but he was recently cleared after not playing any football since August. The thing is that *if* he plays...he's a MASSIVE upgrade over LaCosse/Izzo.....

I would kick the tires on Reed at least....a modest contract offer laden with incentives tied to playing time. The guy might be one more concussion away from retirement, but he was recently cleared after not playing any football since August. The thing is that *if* he plays...he's a MASSIVE upgrade over LaCosse/Izzo.....
In 7 years, he played in 65 games (58% of eligible regular season games) or you could say he missed 47 games due to injury.

Justin Simmons and Anthony Harris are interesting younger options at safety if we don’t retain McCourty.

In 7 years, he played in 65 games (58% of eligible regular season games) or you could say he missed 47 games due to injury.

Yip, it is why I mentioned an incentive laden deal tied to playing time. If he can play and be available, it is well worth kicking the tires for....

Justin Simmons and Anthony Harris are interesting younger options at safety if we don’t retain McCourty.
Justin Simmons is gonna break the bank.

He can't be relied on at all

He can't be relied on at all

Which is why he would come extremely cheap, IMO. And LaCosse/Izzo also cannot be relied on at all as well, no?

I kinda like Terrence Brooks. Played pretty well. Tony Jefferson is a nice veteran option who is a good special teamer as well.

Which is why he would come extremely cheap, IMO. And LaCosse/Izzo also cannot be relied on at all as well, no?

You get someone better than all of them...

For argument purposes let's say in 2000 Drew Bledsoe played for Green Bay and Brett Farve played for the Patriots. Take it a step further and say in 2000 Tom Brady was drafted by GB and Aaron Rodgers was drafted by the Patriots (remember...hypothetical). All other players and coaches throughout the years are the same. Mike Sherman coach of GB and BB coach of the Pats to start the 2001 season.

So, if teams stagnate and don't adjust to the QB differences, and If McCarthy never gets his chance to coach the Packers, and if we pretend that Rodgers wouldn't have been a pain in the ass for BB, who would win? It's not much of a hypo, for a lot of reasons.

But, using a theory of not worrying about the Packers coach, the Packers would probably win more. Rodgers' game has always been more downfield, and he's always been very stat conscious. The Patriots receivers wouldn't have fit him, and his distaste for passes into windows that could lead to INTs would mean that he struggled to hit the likes of Welker and Edelman when they were being bracketed and/or doubled.

I kinda like Terrence Brooks. Played pretty well. Tony Jefferson is a nice veteran option who is a good special teamer as well.
Brooks as a starter?

No thanks. Nice depth player but not a starter.

Jefferson is a nice player but I’d rather keep Devin than bring in another aged veteran.

My new hot take on where Brady could go:

Dallas Cowboys!

He’d have 5 prime time games for announcers to talk about his TB12 nonsense.

He’d have many national afternoon games as Fox is the official channel of “America’s Team”.

He’d have many sit down interviews with Erin Andrews who gets wet talking to star QB’s, specifically Aaron Rodgers. Now that she has access to Tom Brady, who can use this to talk about his “pliability”, it would be Niagara Falls down there for her.

They have an insane O-line, devastating ground game and Jerry will have some pull to get AB back in the league and join the Cowboys.

Get your popcorn ready!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey