PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

[Old 2020 thread] NFL Free Agency/Trade Rumors:

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s what I had assumed. Odd that it didn’t seem to be mentioned in the post that I responded to. As a matter of fact, the insinuation seems to be that nothing changes in regards to how long the team is on the hook, etc.

Well, if you don't have any immediate plans to move on from the player and he plays out his deal then there really is zero consequence. The overall money stays mostly the same it is just the accounting for it that changes, right ?

But especially with BB you don't really know if given a valuable opportunity he'd move on from e.g. Mason or Gilmore in 1-2 years.

What it boils down to for me is that the longer you want to keep your current window open the more you will have to resort to restructures to keep things afloat. And that current iteration has been in one window since what ? 2010 ?

Less roster flexibility and more dead money down the road. Most contracts nowadays have language included that enables the Pats to unilaterally restructure contracts. So most of the time it is not even "a favor" anymore.
Pats are supposed to have a ton of cap room next year and with a rookie QB for the foreseeable future.
Extending players contracts makes so much sense I am unsure why it has not happened already with Thuney, Hightower, etc. Only think I can think of is owner is worried about prolonged economic downturn, less TV money and a cap reduction in coming years so they are being extremely cautious.

get used to this...wtf man..burton for league min to colts who have 0 shot...**** man...
The Clots - and it truly pains me to say this - have more than a 0 shot...and Absolutely much, Much more of a shot than we do...

The Clots - and it truly pains me to say this - have more than a 0 shot...and Absolutely much, Much more of a shot than we do...
They do have a better shot than we do but 0 shot + 0.5 shot still equals 0.

Pats are supposed to have a ton of cap room next year and with a rookie QB for the foreseeable future.
Extending players contracts makes so much sense I am unsure why it has not happened already with Thuney, Hightower, etc. Only think I can think of is owner is worried about prolonged economic downturn, less TV money and a cap reduction in coming years so they are being extremely cautious.

Whats the rush ?

You can do all the restructures, extensions or cuts when you are actually forced to do it. Deadlines spur action. We will not sign any of the rookies picked in the draft before they can pass a physical and whatnot and given the COVID situation this might still be quite some time out. UDFAs will not hit the cap for a while under the rule of the 51.

The team might only have a million in cap space right now but until actual new charges are certain to hit the cap this will not matter much. Getting e.g. Thuney's contract extension done now does as much as getting it done in 4 weeks unless they plan to sign someone with a TOP 51 salary in the mean time.

On the flip side by not extending or cutting players now you keep all the cards in your hands until it is absolutely necessary.

Miami trying to get to 3 AND 5 to offer crazy deal go Cincy. And Burrows.

Last edited:
So, what’s the downside to this and why don’t they do it more often?

The downside is that cap money is pushed forward and is a drain on future years. The patriots tend to do this this less with contracts. However, restructuring is done almost every year. Brady's contract was restructured several times. Gilmore's was restructured last year; Mason too I think.

That’s what I had assumed. Odd that it didn’t seem to be mentioned in the post that I responded to. As a matter of fact, the insinuation seems to be that nothing changes in regards to how long the team is on the hook, etc.

The length of contract is exactly the same. Total compensation is exactly the same. Dead money is increased only if a player is cut or traded before the end of his contract.

It would be a pain to deal with Burrow for the next 10 years or so....but if the Dolphins pay the ransom..I'll be happy.....

It would be a pain to deal with Burrow for the next 10 years or so....but if the Dolphins pay the ransom..I'll be happy.....

???

MIA will draft Tua, Herbert or an OT. If it is an OT, I suspect that will throw a pick to DET to move up. I suspect that are also trying to keep their 5 and use other compensation to move to 3.

???

MIA will draft Tua, Herbert or an OT. If it is an OT, I suspect that will throw a pick to DET to move up. I suspect that are also trying to keep their 5 and use other compensation to move to 3.

PFT is reporting that Miami is trying to get the #3 without giving up #5 THEN try to send both to the Bengals.

Guarantee: whoever drafts Herbert/Tua will brag to the media that they had him #1 overall on their board and are geniuses.

Guarantee: whoever drafts Herbert/Tua will brag to the media that they had him #1 overall on their board and are geniuses.

"I know we didn't draft Sum Yung Gai until the 7th round, but we had him down as a first round talent. We just had other needs. We were shocked that he was still available, and were thrilled to be able to make him a member of the _______ ."

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3