PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Oh shut up Dion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gilislee sucks and I agree with Dion Lewis. You see a worse RB signed to good money and you’re the better player. I get it. Picking Gilislee and Gilmore over Lewis and Butler may be the beginning of the decline.....

Gillislee over Lewis was a mistake, sure. But how is Gilmore over Butler the beginning of the decline? Gilmore is pretty clearly the better player, the Pats made the right choice.

Gillislee over Lewis was a mistake, sure. But how is Gilmore over Butler the beginning of the decline? Gilmore is pretty clearly the better player, the Pats made the right choice.

Not to add another 10 pages to this thread but:
- Stats showed Gilmore was a better zone guy than man cover CB
- Stats showed Butler was the team’s best man cover CB. Excellent stats all year covering opposing team’s fastest or best receivers.
- Butler’s strengths were minimized playing more zone
- Aside from Gilmore’s high profile batted ball in playoffs he wasn’t great most of the year, whereas even w Gilmore hurt, Butler was the starting CB when this D gave up the fewest points in the league the last 12 wks of the reg season

Stats showed Butler was the team’s best man cover CB. Excellent stats all year covering opposing team’s fastest or best receivers.

I think you might have been watching 2015 or 2016 because Butler was below average last year and at times a borderline liability. The start was rough but after coming from his concussion Gilmore was the best defensive player on this team and it is not even close.

Last edited:
- Stats showed Butler was the team’s best man cover CB. Excellent stats all year covering opposing team’s fastest or best receivers.
- Aside from Gilmore’s high profile batted ball in playoffs he wasn’t great most of the year, whereas even w Gilmore hurt, Butler was the starting CB when this D gave up the fewest points in the league the last 12 wks of the reg season

Butler’s not a better cover corner than Gilmore no matter what the stats say but butler was our second best corner last season.

What games were you watching?

Wait.. What?

Gilmore was better even according to stats.

"This season, including playoffs, Gilmore allowed 48 catches on 82 targets for 610 yards with three touchdowns and two interceptions. Butler let up 60 catches on 101 targets for 814 yards with eight touchdowns and two interceptions. Including two Duron Harmon interceptions that came on targets to Gilmore, the Patriots 2017 addition allowed a 73.7 passer rating this season. Butler let up a 103.3 passer rating.

Read more at: Now We Know Why Patriots Valued Stephon Gilmore Over Malcolm Butler"

Did someone tell you these things and you decided to just take their word on it and not research it?

Instead we kept Burkhead.

Who still can’t get on the field.

The Pats, and I guess all NFL teams, grade players at the end of the season. Your whole seasons body of work is considered.

Something is wrong with Lewis that we dont know about. On the surface it made sense to keep him just like it made sense to keep Cooks. I cant argue with replacing a vet RB who would have made more money with a young RB playing on a rookie deal for 4 years. Assuming the production is fairly the same. This formula has kept the Pats out of cap trouble ever since BB took over.

I can argue the pick though. Sony and his gimpy knee could turn out to be another draft train wreck. Im glad they got Hill from reading camp reports.

The Pats, and I guess all NFL teams, grade players at the end of the season. Your whole seasons body of work is considered.

Something is wrong with Lewis that we dont know about. On the surface it made sense to keep him just like it made sense to keep Cooks. I cant argue with replacing a vet RB who would have made more money with a young RB playing on a rookie deal for 4 years. Assuming the production is fairly the same. This formula has kept the Pats out of cap trouble ever since BB took over.

I can argue the pick though. Sony and his gimpy knee could turn out to be another draft train wreck. Im glad they got Hill from reading camp reports.
White: $4.69m guaranteed
Burk: $5m guaranteed

Lewis: $11.5m guaranteed

Thats all you need to know

Last edited:
He said they didn't make an offer. If they thought he was good enough to be here, they would have made the offer. They didn't think he was good enough to be here at that price, so they let him go. Again, this is simple stuff.
The Pats knew he wanted a big contract and decided not to get into the bidding. That’s consistent with their policy regarding running backs.

The main point here is, Dion shouldn’t feel sorry for himself or disappointed. The Pats May have had brief discussions with Lewis’ agent to get an idea what he wanted.

I don’t think Dion is worth a big contract, but that’s just my opinion

I think this got repeated on every page of this thread so far but it will just not stop people on the next page from ignoring the reality of it.
Oh sorry. Didn't see through all the complaining from all the fans who think the salary cap doesn't exist.

The Pats knew he wanted a big contract and decided not to get into the bidding. That’s consistent with their policy regarding running backs.

The main point here is, Dion shouldn’t feel sorry for himself or disappointed. The Pats May have had brief discussions with Lewis’ agent to get an idea what he wanted.

I don’t think Dion is worth a big contract, but that’s just my opinion

And neither did they. In all, they didn't feel that he was good enough to warrant such a contract. Hence what he said.

White: $4.69m guaranteed
Burk: $5m guaranteed

Lewis: $11.5m guaranteed

Thats all you need to know

What about paying a rookie deal vs a Vet deal to stay out of cap problems confuses you?

Lewis is due 8.250 guaranteed Dion Lewis

Burhhead is due 5.5 guaranteed Rex Burkhead

Lewis is 28 in 2 weeks and Burkhead is 28. Burkhead got a new contract from NE with 5.5 guaranteed and Lewis cleaned out his locker.

If the Pats truly saw a player with an upside, they would find a way to keep him within reason. Lewis had a fantastic 2017 season, but I dont like the odds for another anytime soon.

Unfortunately they gave too much to Gillislee. They should’ve just cut him and signed Lewis. That being said, as much as I love Lewis, he’ll be replaced by a bigger, stronger, faster version of himself in Sony Michel. In one sense though, Michel is already experiencing something Lewis unfortunately was familiar with, knee injuries.

No they didn't. Gillislee is in the last year of his 2-year deal and counts $2.2 million against the cap. The Patriots can cut him with no dead money left on the deal.

Lewis has an injury history and was too expensive for a RB with so many good players out there. The Pats didn't need to sign anybody to a guaranteed contract like Lewis' $19 million 4-year deal that included $2.25M signing bonus and $8.25M guaranteed. This is a great one for him if he stays healthy and makes Marcus Mariota a better QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back