PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Oh shut up Dion

Status
Not open for further replies.
But he said he wouldn't stay anyway. So him even bring it up is just kind of lame. IMO.
Sounds like a little bitterness and typical NFL player complaining.
This is the way the NFL is now. Nobody's job is safe with any particular team. They need to stop with the woe-is-me attitude. He went for the bigger deal, so he should just deal with it. He got paid. That's what he wanted
You realize there’s a huge chance that he said that because he knew/got wind of the fact that they weren’t going to pay him anywhere near that, right? Thus, they determined that, at that price, he wasn’t good enough.

I also think Lewis made a mistake with whom he signed with.

He is a RB that will be 28 in September. He had to sign with the team that offered the most money. This is most probably his only "big" contract of his career. Even if he gets dumped after 2 years he will make twice the money he would have made here.

Classic business decision and nothing wrong with that. I just dont get why he tries to put another emotional layer on top of that. Focus on your own team not the past.

You realize there’s a huge chance that he said that because he knew/got wind of the fact that they weren’t going to pay him anywhere near that, right? Thus, they determined that, at that price, he wasn’t good enough.

regardless what he should have said was:

"Nothing but love for the patriots, they put me in the position to showcase my talents, and because of that I outplayed what they were capable of compensating me at."

instead we got a bunch of gibberish about "they didn't want me, but even if they did i still would be a titan, but they could have had me, but they couldn't"

Do you think burkhead becomes the GL back or does Jeremy hill cut into that role?
We know he has done it in spurts but not sure he is THE guy.

I'm trying to temper my excitement re: Hill. I think we might have a trimmed down version of LG on our hands only quicker. I need to see more though.

Burk can do it but I think hes a bit smaller than what BB would like back there.

"Nothing but love for the patriots, they put me in the position to showcase my talents, and because of that I outplayed what they were capable of compensating me at."

instead we got a bunch of gibberish about "they didn't want me, but even if they did i still would be a titan, but they could have had me, but they couldn't"

christ almighty why does this **** bother you people so much

There was absolutely nothing wrong or offensive with what he said.

This is nothing new with this organization. Flowers likely will be the next guy they let go. Dion Lewis should know this already.

I loved Dion Lewis while he was here. Top -10 for me on my appreciation scale for his entire resurrection story and everything he gave for the team.

Athletes are motivated by slights, as are most competitive, successful people. If they aren’t slighted, they’ll invent or exaggerate them. Everyone does. Brady does. LeBron does. Look at Michael Jordan’s Hall induction speech. Role players do. If you don’t think a guy like Lewis, who was cut by numerous teams and told he had no future in the league, and then was told he’d never regain his effectiveness after several major injuries, does not use doubt and criticism as motivation to drive him every day, you are naive.

In this case, it’s a stretch to say the Patriots didn’t want him back, probably had more to do with the salary cap value for his position, his age, and his durability, along with a deep group of lower mileage players. Though we really don’t know; Patriots may have just not bothered to make him an offer after getting an idea of his market value, or they may have lowballed him as a formality to say they tried. Regardless, I lose zero respect for Lewis based on his comments and am really happy he got the money he deserved and earned. This is a guy who was very close at numerous stages in his career to never receiving anything near this amount of money.

If I saw the man, I would say thanks, Dion. Glad you got a ring with us. Tons I’d respect for your resiliency and dedication, battling through all the adversity to get to where you are.

Last edited:
I loved Dion Lewis while he was here. Top -10 for me on my appreciation scale for his entire resurrection story and everything he gave for the team.

Athletes are motivated by slights, as are most competitive, successful people. If they aren’t slighted, they’ll invent or exaggerate them. Everyone does. Brady does. LeBron does. Look at Michael Jordan’s Hall induction speech. Role players do. If you don’t think a guy like Lewis, who was cut by numerous teams and told he had no future in the league, and then was told he’d never regain his effectiveness after several major injuries, does not use doubt and criticism as motivation to drive him every day, you are naive.

In this case, it’s a stretch to say the Patriots didn’t want him back, probably had more to do with the salary cap value for his position, his age, and his durability, along with a deep group of lower mileage players. Though we really don’t know; Patriots may have just not bothered to make him an offer after getting an idea of his market value, or they may have lowballed him as a formality to say they tried. Regardless, I lose zero respect for Lewis based on his comments and am really happy he got the money he deserved and earned. This is a guy who was very close at numerous stages in his career to never receiving anything near this amount of money.

If I saw the man, I would say thanks, Dion. Glad you got a ring with us. Tons I’d respect for your resiliency and dedication, battling through all the adversity to get to where you are.
He sounded exactly like a certain guard for the Celtics after Danny sent him packing.

Agreed, it was just really unintelligent.

They didn't want him at the price. He said as much. That's calling a spade a spade.

This organization has been called cheap etc whateva. It does hold some truth. Not many guys making big money. There’s a price range unless your name’s Thomas Edward Patrick Brady Jr.

They didn't want him at the price. He said as much. That's calling a spade a spade.

Right, but he also said :

"I'm happy with the decision, and this is the decision I would've made even if they did offer"

So in one sentence he says that he wasn't going to remain a patriot regardless.

Then he said

"If they wanted me, they could've had me."

in the very next sentence.

He comes off sounding unintelligent, and like a jilted ex, which isn't good for him, nor is it good for his relationship with his new team.

Right, but he also said :

"I'm happy with the decision, and this is the decision I would've made even if they did offer"

So in one sentence he says that he wasn't going to remain a patriot regardless.

Then he said

"If they wanted me, they could've had me."

in the very next sentence.

He comes off sounding unintelligent, and like a jilted ex, which isn't good for him, nor is it good for his relationship with his new team.

That sounds, to me, like a guy that knew the Patriots weren't going to offer him what he was looking for because, in his words, "they didn't think" he "was good enough to be here" at that price. He called a spade a spade. Why everyone has their panties in a bunch over this is beyond me.

This organization has been called cheap etc whateva. It does hold some truth. Not many guys making big money. There’s a price range unless your name’s Thomas Edward Patrick Brady Jr.

It really doesn't hold much truth at all since every team has to spend to a certain % of the salary cap. For this particular year, the Patriots are currently 11th in spending. In other words, for the 2018-2019 season, they are spending more than 21 other teams.

Look here: https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space and click on the column that says "Active Cap Spending". You'll notice this.
Team Active Spending
Jaguars $187,788,604
Buccaneers $179,283,893
49ers $178,816,301
Vikings $176,965,327
Broncos $176,415,213
Raiders $175,781,020
Titans $171,721,458
Steelers $170,881,489
Panthers $169,165,791
Bengals $168,969,230
Patriots $166,402,436
Rams $165,832,101
Packers $165,536,381
Chargers $165,340,950
Lions $163,870,434
Eagles $163,563,735
Jets $161,811,869
Browns $161,798,226
Falcons $160,606,264
Redskins $158,077,033
Ravens $157,305,603
Saints $155,007,686
Giants $154,997,661
Chiefs $153,058,075
Seahawks $152,009,786
Texans $150,694,385
Dolphins $147,676,574
Bears $146,841,089
Cardinals $145,842,263
Cowboys $144,523,610
Colts $140,274,630
Bills $129,618,148

We know he has done it in spurts but not sure he is THE guy.

I'm trying to temper my excitement re: Hill. I think we might have a trimmed down version of LG on our hands only quicker. I need to see more though.

Burk can do it but I think hes a bit smaller than what BB would like back there.

rob C'mon fragile Rex might get hurt watching that replay.:p

Last edited:
How so? At the price, they literally didn't think he was good enough. So they let him go instead of pay him. It's actually quite simple.
If "how good" he played was the only thing that went into the equation, your point wouldn't' be invalid. There are other factors like work ethic, off field stuff etc... Since he said he'd have made the same decision if Pats offered him even money, it's pretty clear there are some other factors besides on field production that limited what the Patriots offered.

Not sure if you're doing a schtick or if this is your real opinion, but the perspective you presented requires too many strict assumptions to be considered valid in the real world.

If "how good" he played was the only thing that went into the equation, your point wouldn't' be invalid. There are other factors like work ethic, off field stuff etc...

Links citing said issues?

Not sure if you're doing a schtick or if this is your real opinion, but the perspective you presented requires too many strict assumptions to be considered valid in the real world.

It really doesn't. Mine is the only one with a basis of reality in the real world. There aren't really any assumptions needed since I don't recall ever hearing about the factors you cited in the previous sentence I quoted. If they felt he was "good enough to be" here at that price, they would have paid him. Instead, they didn't. So they didn't feel he was "good enough to be" here at his price. It is what it is. Considering some of the things ex-players have said about the Pats in the past, this is mild at best.

He sounded exactly like a certain guard for the Celtics after Danny sent him packing.

Spot on. And in some way similar stories emerging as stars after many years of doubt. I hope Lewis has more success than Thomas, just not against us!

*sigh*

You wanna root for this team, but you wanna fall in love with players and have them stay here forever. That's not the business model of this organization, save for Tom Brady. Players move on. BB has continually let guys leave with a little tread on the tires, as opposed to when they are used up, and generally speaking, doesn't pay top of market price for guys. (Generally, are know there's exceptions, I don't need to be called out)

The guy got paid. good for him, good for his family. We had the chance to have him play here. Good for us. But you guys know how the Pats conduct their business, and yet ***** about it. I just don't get it. Their business model has kept them on top for an unprecedented amount of time, along with the fact that Brady and Belichick are still here. My gut tells me that even if Tom and Bill leave, the team, will have a reasonable level of success and likely to continue to be dominant in the AFC East. The Steelers have had 6 losing seasons since the 1979 season. I would think that's a record that the Kraft family will try to emulate. After suffering with this team before Kraft owned it, I'll take that type of success. All freakin' day. If that means some of my favorite guys go elsewhere to get a pay day, I am more than ok with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe