PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Unofficial Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're probably correct that Belichick is more committed to the run game after having one of the worst rushing attacks in his entire coaching career last season, but he sure as hell wasn't overly confident based on his selection of play calls on the goal line when the game mattered most.

We've seen this play out before--can you line up and smash the other team in the mouth when it matters most? That's what football is all about sometimes. There's a reason why one of our better posters has the phrase "it all starts in the trenches" as his signature. All we heard about the entire offseason was how much more physical the team would look by adding Bennett/Gronk, the return of James Devlin, and Scarnecchia taking over the OL again.
I'm glad someone else sees it this way. Days later and I'm still trying to figure out why that play at the end? I know SEA spotted then before, but I still feel you give the rock to the guy who ran for the TD's, including on the goalline. But whatever. It is what it is at this point. The team simply must regroup and now allow the loss to start a run of losses.

I'd love to read all the comments on this thread and others but time is a luxury I'm not spending on football lately, which is kind of a good thing, but here are my thoughts.

I'm trying to get a optimistic view here that this was one of those stinkers we have all season, with the difference that it usually is against a weak opponent and this time was against a top team. Anyway, there are lots of problems to fix, and the picture is not looking good as it seems we don't have the tools to fix, but there is a lot of time until January.

So, not necessarily on order:

- Congrats to Seattle, they have a got team and they seem to get hotter in the 2nd half of the season just like the Pats used to. They are a well coached team, with leadership, good defense and a top QB, that's a recipe for success. As we all know, sometimes in January/February in spite of all that you still need a few bounces in your way, that's why we should not all get desperate and jump off a cliff.

- We turned the ball over and it killed us. Brady should stop getting desperate like this sometimes, those are very unusual of him but it's kind of becoming something that is going on on the past 2 or 3 seasons. The Edelman fumble was just a great play from Seattle.

- I should put this item on the above as it's correlated but I want to use one paragraph dedicated to say that CYRUS JONES SHOULD NOT RETURN ANOTHER KICK OR PUNT THIS YEAR. God d%#*!@t BB is the Goat but he is stubborn as ****, how many 1st seeds he wants to lose because of 1 game where a rookie should not be fielding punts.

- The coaching was awful not only in the defense but also in the offense, that last drive my GOD, QB sneak, low % pass to Gronk, just run the ball, Blount was amazing, if 4 rush attempts fail OK, but those plays didn't help either. Also, many times during the game we were playing 2 downs on offense because one was wasted in a useless rush attempt. OK, Blount run for 3 TD's and those attempts make them honest on defense, but at certain times they should just go passing, if you give Brady 3 shots at a pass attempt he will deliver. But constantly in 2 and 9 against Seattle is not a very good game plan.

- Extend Bennet now, I've seen enough, he's everything we wanted him to be.

- The defense is a complicated problem and I'm not sure how to fix this season, for this season it is what it is, to many talent left, missed and stolen draft pick didn't bring an infusion of talented promising players to rebuild and business decision to get rid of Collins and Jones may start to show up in the final stretch of the season. The jury is still out on those moves, I approved the Chandler Jones move, still don't know what to think about Collins. BB is positioning the Pats to be a big player on FA, so apart from Bennett, no big investments need to be made on offense, extend Bennett and use all that ****ing money to bring DT's and DE's, and use the draft to keep rebuilding the O-Line and adding depth to the secondary.

- Bend don't break is not working, they are breaking, Tyrod Taylor in week 3 just gave the password to OC's around the league, just throw to whomever Logan Ryan is covering, the WR will make a play and get yards after the catch. As I said in another thread this year, different from the past couple seasons , they don't have the personnel to go exotic and the defense is looking awful lost. Should simplify the playbook, play man and go after the QB, even if they don't have one top rusher, I'm hoping Flowers can be what CJ was. Use Hightower to attack the QB more, he is effective.

- Shea McLellin is awful.

- Logan Ryan should not be getting starting reps.

- The team lacks energy, I hope this loss has the same effect the Kansas City loss had in 2014. I still believe in this team.
Can't find much here with which to disagree. Everything is pretty much on point.

I think 11-5 is highly possible. Denver, @Jets, Miami all eminently loseable unless something. Changes and quick.

Prediction: On the road AFCCG either Okland or Denver.

I have Baltimore in place of the Jets on my thought on potential losses

I have Baltimore in place of the Jets on my thought on potential losses

Yes, no one should be sleeping on the Ravens, who happen to lead the NFL in yards allowed at 281 per game and always play us tough. Luckily, they don't have to go on the road for that game, and while I doubt the Ravens go too far in the big picture, they seem to be a consistent pain in the butt.

Yes, no one should be sleeping on the Ravens, who happen to lead the NFL in yards allowed at 281 per game and always play us tough. Luckily, they don't have to go on the road for that game, and while I doubt the Ravens go too far in the big picture, they seem to be a consistent pain in the butt.

I think it will be on of those games that will appear close through 3 quarters and then we will comfortably win by 7-10 points.

A good test though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents