PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL GAME DAY DISCUSSION OFFICIAL Super Bowl Bucs/Chiefs Game Thread

Yea but I had them losing unlike you who had them winning. Plus I let myself be convinced by guys on this forum they had the better coaching. Lmao

I picked Tampa to win it all and then bailed on them against the Saints and Chiefs :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1612850499492.png

Post in thread '2020 season prediction'
2020 season prediction

I watched a bit of the game last night when it replayed on NFLN.

Brady was great but he wasn't the real MVP. It was both coordinators. They broke every tendencies they've had all year long. You name it- from running on first down to the tweaked coverages they threw at Mahomes. Their cover 2 shell was so deep the safeties were practically in the parking lot. The biggest thing to me was how much they changed the defense post-snap. Very disciplined- that D played lights out, assignment, alignment, responsibility. The offense had plenty of plays from our playbook- some of you probably recognized the famous "Charles Barkley" trap pass and the inside fake cut route that Edelman did, that AB copied for his TD.

As has been pointed out many times here, KC never bothered to adjust, never bothered to bring a new gameplan. Hubris was Reid's downfall.

I've bagged on both coordinators all season long. Have to now take my hat off to them.

In either their first or second playoff game, @KontradictioN was the first to recognize that Bowles had been playing rope-a-dope during the regular season and had flipped the script in the postseason. I have to acknowledge that he was right.

Never would have occured to me that Bowles would be capable of doing something like that- so naturally I have to eat some crow here, but more unpleasant is the thought that he fooled me as well.

Last edited:
I watched a bit of the game last night when it replayed on NFLN.

Brady was great but he wasn't the real MVP. It was both coordinators. They broke every tendencies they've had all year long. You name it- from running on first down to the tweaked coverages they threw at Mahomes. Their cover 2 shell was so deep the safeties were practically in the parking lot. The biggest thing to me was how much they changed the defense post-snap. Very disciplined- that D played lights out, assignment, alignment, responsibility. The offense had plenty of plays from our playbook- some of you probably recognized the famous "Charles Barkley" trap pass and the inside fake cut route that Edelman did, that AB copied for his TD.

As has been pointed out many times here, KC never bothered to adjust, never bothered to bring a new gameplan. Hubris was Reid's downfall.

I've bagged on both coordinators all season long. Have to now take my hat off to them.

In either their first or second playoff game, @KontradictioN was the first to recognize that Bowles had been playing rope-a-dope during the regular season and had flipped the script in the postseason. I have to acknowledge that he was right.

Never would have occured to me that Bowles would be capable of doing something like that- so naturally I have to eat some crow here, but more unpleasant is the thought that he fooled me as well.
Tampa Bay had an extremely peak New England Patriots coaching performance in that one game.

All year they seemed like a team with middling coaching that had obvious tendencies, and players who were talented but randomly out of position or playing bad fundamentals. They rarely played truly complimentary football because one phase of the game was always on the wrong foot even if the others were on a hot streak.

But in the Super Bowl the players were sharp as HELL, like dead on with their assignments, and the coaches threw all their tendencies out the window on both sides of the ball and it just totally flummoxed the Chiefs. The Chiefs had no plan B and made no real adjustments, they just spent 4 quarters banging their heads against the wall.

A good parallel really seems to be the 2007 Giants. That was a loaded but just kinda sloppy team that suddenly got everything dialed in down the stretch and caught everyone wrong footed.

The most surprising thing about this game is the revelation that Patrick Mahomes has the same key weakness that all commentators believed solely belonged to Tom Brady.

Consistent pressure without blitzing.
Yeah, in retrospect it's weird how the Chiefs OL being so messed up was glossed over when everybody knew Tampa had a good pass rush that just made Rodgers eat 5 sacks 2 weeks before.

People bought into the Mahomes hype to the point where it made them forget basic football knowledge.

I'm not above it all either, I posted about how the Chiefs OL was the main reason they should be worried but I still kind of expected the Chiefs to be more likely to win because Tampa never looked totally dialed in as a team... until the Super Bowl.

The most surprising thing about this game is the revelation that Patrick Mahomes has the same key weakness that all commentators believed solely belonged to Tom Brady.

Consistent pressure without blitzing.

It’s beyond comical to think that only immobile QBs are affected. Rodgers also struggled badly against it. Every QB struggles against it and always has.

The difference is Brady often takes a sack or throws it away. He’ll start doing that in anticipation of the pass rush. These mobile QBs do the same thing except they scramble backwards and run outside the pocket despite often not needing to. QBs are supposed to anticipate the rush and react accordingly.

From what I observe, Brady’s weaknesses lead to less damage than the scramblers, even though those guys will occasionally get a big highlight reel play.

All I can say is this... I have never in my life seen the media so quick to declare a "dynasty" as they did the Chiefs last year...

An awful lot of teams have won 1 in a row....
I think a lot of it has to do with their dominant offense. The media loves a dominant offense. Same reason they slobbered all over Manning and the the Colts while we were dominating them and winning SuperBowls. That and they love anything new and shiny. They are easily distracted and live only in the now
We brought this too you every post you mad and ypu wouldn’t want to hear it
Why do we have to be mad at either of them? Sometimes things just come to a natural end. If Bill bears any blame (other than being difficult to work for) it's the roster construction. He tried to get Brady help- Harry, Sony, Sane, etc, he just failed. Why on Earth would an ultra competitive player want to come back to a team that has no chance to win a title and waste the last few years of his career? I get that a lot of people want there to be a bad guy in the situation. But sometimes there isn't one. If you want to be mad at Bill there are plenty of reasons. Arrogantly refusing to adjust the game plan in the 07 SuperBowl until it was too late. Handing a title to Foles and Doug Peterson by sitting his best CB in a petty spat, etc
This relationship just came to it's natural conclusion. Reminds me of the Ray Borque situation. It was just nice to have a winning team to root for in what was an otherwise dreadful, excruciating season. I have all of Tampa's wins saved on a hard drive, just like I do with the Pats and I will enjoy re watching for the rest of my life. Can't wait to get into the offseason and see how the rebuild starts to shape up and preseason games in August. I don't think I would feel so excited for next year were it not for what Brady accomplished in Tampa. I know I was feeling pretty burned out at this time last year.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back