PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Preseason Thread Jags @ Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Malcolm Brown is disappointing for a 1st rd pick. Got benched last year during the season as well. Jimmy G was a value pick which is ok, but still he'll be sitting on the bench hopefully. Collins was a homerun and a big part of the 2014 superbowl run.

But having guys like Easley released after 2 years, Dobson was a bust. Richards hasn't managed to get on the field in 2 years pretty much. Jones might get cut soon. We have a poorer hit rate than the league at the top of the draft it seems. It gets better in UDFA and FA pick-ups and trades. But the criticism for poor picks at the top is valid.

Thank you for proving what I've thought all along. You're evaluation of players is sorely lacking. Malcolm Brown is "disappointing" as a 1st round pick? So, you think because the coach "benched" him for 3 quarters against the Jets that makes him a disappointment?

The criticism isn't valid unless you distort reality the way you have..

I wasn't watching very closely but it seems like Thompson was arguably the weakest link in the secondary.

My take on the game:

First and foremost: The Patriots sat like 30+ players last night for various reasons.

The Patriots offense and defense were Vanilla. The Jaguars offense and defense were not. The Jaguars were blitzing and running stunts on Defense. On offense, they clearly wanted a longer game and the Pats 2nd and 3rd stringers weren't up to the task, overall.

I saw almost no press coverage from the Patriots DBs. They were giving the WRs free release at the line. That automatically puts them at a disadvantage.

Cyrus Jones is trying too hard. Yep. He was horrible on the two deep plays. And missed another, tackle. However, he wasn't as bad on kick-offs as people has said. In fact, he'd have busted a long one if Foster had actually tried to block someone. Foster ole'd the one guy and that's who took Jones down at the 15. His other returns were better. And yes. I believe that Belichick told him to return every one of the unless it went out of the end zoned.

Josh Augusta is clearly raw. He played mostly under-tackle. He seemed to lined up off the line the way Vince used to when they felt that Vince wasn't getting up enough. Augusta looked the opposite. I felt that he was always too upright when he engaged the O-Linemen and that allowed them to push him back. Comments about Augusta's "desire" are mind-boggling.

Elandon Roberts might have taken a step back. He was being way too aggressive and hit the wrong hole as often as he hit the right one last night. It gave the Jaguars some big plays.

Freeny looks like he added weight. I liked him better when he was inside than outside.

Brandon King had an up and down game. He made a play on the Punt coverage, but blew a block on the 2nd KO return that stopped Jones.

On the bad snap to Garoppolo, I noticed that both Waddle and Douglas moved early but it wasn't blown. Not sure if it was related or not.

On the 2nd deep ball, Bates blew his coverage on the TE and that forced Richards to move towards the middle of the field, taking away the help over the top. Jones still blew the coverage because he wasn't tight enough.

The O-line of Waddle, Douglas, Ferentz, Croston and Fleming had an up and down night. Ferentz and Croston seemed to miscommunicate a lot in the 3rd quarter.

I think that Shun Daniels could be a good multi-purpose back if he learns to lower his pad level the way that BB got Blount to do.

Foster's night wasn't great with the missed blocking assignment on the KO and the fumble.

Matt Lengel and James O'Shaughnessy have their work cut out for them. Jacob Hollister looks to be a very good move TE.

Austin Carr had a fantastic hand catch in the end zone when he went up for it and also the beautiful toe-tapper on the sidelines. That being said, one of the knocks was that he body catches.. And he does. The difference is that he doesn't bobble it because his hands are there too..

Bolden had some good plays, but one that stood out to me was him falling down on a punt return by Jones.

Ted Karras had a helluva game, imho.

The Jordan Richards hype of the 1st 2 weeks of training camp seems to have been just that. Hype. Or he doesn't have the ability to diagnose defenses the way that McCourty does and so Richards can't make the adjustments to the secondary that are needed.

The Pats gave Langi a really long look. He is clearly better than Bates or Ellis. Probably on par with where Freeny was when Freeny first showed up in New England. Still has a lot to learn and can hopefully put on some weight, but things look good.

Darius Kilgo shouldn't be playing NT. I saw him blown-up off the ball more often than not, particularly on the longer inside running plays..

Didn't Watch the game. Can anyone tell me how many of the projected starting oline played snaps? Saw the dline in Dbruinz post.

None. The whole game was the carryover backups (Waddle, Fleming, Karras) plus the rookies.

Thanks, can't believe all these mediots talking like we were outclassed. It's hard enough evaluating starters in preseason when they dont know what the coaching staff is actually trying to do, never mind the subs.

This is very good to see. Rivers being Rivers. Burst, Hand placement and closing speed/get the QB. Once this guy gets stronger hes gunna be a menace.

Didn't Watch the game. Can anyone tell me how many of the projected starting oline played snaps? Saw the dline in Dbruinz post.

None of Solder, Thuney, Andrews, Mason, or Cannon took snaps in game 1..

This is very good to see. Rivers being Rivers. Burst, Hand placement and closing speed/get the QB. Once this guy gets stronger hes gunna be a menace.

FootballbyFootball posted a whole series of great video tweets today highlighting plays by several Pats players - Langi, Roberts, Jon Jones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back