PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Preseason Thread Jags @ Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think people wrote Bolden off the team way too early. They seem to be looking at him as a RB versus being a ST only player. I've been saying that it's 50/50, but that could be much higher if someone like Slater starts on IR.

James White, Brandon Bolden and Brandon King have been cut in a lot of patsfans roster projections over the years. I think they just see a ton of value in Bolden in the bottom 5 of the roster since he can play on ST and as a 3 down back, even if he's mediocre at it. But when you start thinking about how the guy can also play roles like FB and HB in a pinch it's easy to see why he keeps making the team year after year in place of players who show more skill in a given role but aren't multi-dimensional.

I realize that this was second and third teamers, but one thing the Patriots have done a good job at for quite some time is making the opponent really work for a score, and taking advantage of an eventual mistake. In other words, eliminate big plays. Tonight was exactly the opposite.

Although the Pats D couldn't get off the field on the first two drives (10 play, 11 plays), those 21 plays resulted in just three points; not uncommon. The rest of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd quarter was not that way.

1st Half:
Jax 1st drive: 41 yard punt return sets up FG
Jax 3rd drive: 1 play, 97 yard TD pass
Jax 4th drive: 4 plays (+ 1 penalty), TD
- missed FG results in great field position; 44 yard pass interference penalty
3rd Qtr:
Jax 5th drive: 1 play, 79 yard TD run (!)
Jax 7th drive: 42 yard TD pass
Jax 8th drive: 19 yard reception, but missed FG

Three touchdowns on six plays (seven if you add the DPI penalty).

Not exactly vintage Patriots defense ... though again, this was not the starters. Even so, not too many players on D made a strong case for themselves tonight.

I realize that this was second and third teamers, but one thing the Patriots have done a good job at for quite some time is making the opponent really work for a score, and taking advantage of an eventual mistake. In other words, eliminate big plays. Tonight was exactly the opposite.

Although the Pats D couldn't get off the field on the first two drives (10 play, 11 plays), those 21 plays resulted in just three points; not uncommon. The rest of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd quarter was not that way.

1st Half:
Jax 1st drive: 41 yard punt return sets up FG
Jax 3rd drive: 1 play, 97 yard TD pass
Jax 4th drive: 4 plays (+ 1 penalty), TD
- missed FG results in great field position; 44 yard pass interference penalty
3rd Qtr:
Jax 5th drive: 1 play, 79 yard TD run (!)
Jax 7th drive: 42 yard TD pass
Jax 8th drive: 19 yard reception, but missed FG

Three touchdowns on six plays (seven if you add the DPI penalty).

Not exactly vintage Patriots defense ... though again, this was not the starters. Even so, not too many players on D made a strong case for themselves tonight.

It means absolutely nada. 0 %.. players trying different things.. not much of a gameplan.. etc etc.. 2nd 3rd and 4th stringers playing. You just can't read anything from pre season. Except we know that Cy Jones... seems like a bust of a 2nd rounder. I have no faith in the kid at this point.

3 out of 4 last first draft picks from 2013-2016 may not be on the roster by the start of the season yet we will have won 2 SBs in that same time. :eek:

Technically that is the case already.. However, you have to consider that the Patriots traded away the 2013 pick and the 2016 pick was stolen by the NFL.

2013 - No First Round Pick
2014 - Easley
2015 - Brown
2016 - No first round Pick.

Remember:

* Preseason,
* Rookie QB,
* QB that sucks, or
* QB that BB has never played before =

Vanilla defense and soft pass rush.

But.. But.. But.. We lost Ninkovich, Long, and Sheard.. BB sucks for not replacing them.. And.. and.. well, our pass rush sucked last year.. and well. .it sucks already.. can't you tell???

(tongue firmly in cheek)

Carr's 6'1", I dunno if I'd call him diminutive

Carr is not 6'1.. He's 6'0 2/8. He's also 202 lbs.. Don't trust what they post on the rosters..

lol at Matts face

richards is not a good safety, reminds me of sanders

HUH? Sanders was as good, but not great Safety. SMH.. Some of you Vet posters are really starting to re-write history with some of your whacked remarks..

While I think that Belichick overall does a fantastic job building the roster, there's been a curious lack of production from our 1st and 2nd round picks in the last few years. It would be nice to have young players who can produce. He's partially made up for it by finding some good UDFAs, but still, it's concerning.

Hmm.. Since 2013, they've had the Following:
2013 - 2nd round - Jamie Collins, Aaron Dobson
2014 - 1st round - Dominique Easley, 2nd round - Jimmy Garoppolo
2015 - 1st Round - Malcolm Brown, 2nd Round- Jordan Richards
2016 - 2nd Round - Cyrus Jones

Hmm.. 3 for 7.. 42%.. But, yes. You're right.. He's not finding young players who can produce..

Hello Patriots Nation !!! My name is Vladimir and i'm big fan from Serbia. This is my first message on patsfans forum. I hope that my second message will be after our victory :) but its ok, it was just preseason game. We'll be the best when it's most needed.
And now something about last night game. I got good impression about Jacob Hollister, a really good player.
Once again, hello to everyone from all over the world and whose heart is beating for Patriots ! LET'S GOOO !!!

Hmm.. Since 2013, they've had the Following:
2013 - 2nd round - Jamie Collins, Aaron Dobson
2014 - 1st round - Dominique Easley, 2nd round - Jimmy Garoppolo
2015 - 1st Round - Malcolm Brown, 2nd Round- Jordan Richards
2016 - 2nd Round - Cyrus Jones

Hmm.. 3 for 7.. 42%.. But, yes. You're right.. He's not finding young players who can produce..

Malcolm Brown is disappointing for a 1st rd pick. Got benched last year during the season as well. Jimmy G was a value pick which is ok, but still he'll be sitting on the bench hopefully. Collins was a homerun and a big part of the 2014 superbowl run.

But having guys like Easley released after 2 years, Dobson was a bust. Richards hasn't managed to get on the field in 2 years pretty much. Jones might get cut soon. We have a poorer hit rate than the league at the top of the draft it seems. It gets better in UDFA and FA pick-ups and trades. But the criticism for poor picks at the top is valid.

Malcolm Brown is disappointing for a 1st rd pick. Got benched last year during the season as well. Jimmy G was a value pick which is ok, but still he'll be sitting on the bench hopefully. Collins was a homerun and a big part of the 2014 superbowl run.

But having guys like Easley released after 2 years, Dobson was a bust. Richards hasn't managed to get on the field in 2 years pretty much. Jones might get cut soon. We have a poorer hit rate than the league at the top of the draft it seems. It gets better in UDFA and FA pick-ups and trades. But the criticism for poor picks at the top is valid.

So give me the big draft hits the amazing Ravens or Seahawks front offices had in the last 4-5 years.

It is a crapshoot and drafting at the end of the round every year takes its attrition over a couple of years. In essence, by being as successful as we are we are forfeiting the first round pick each year to pick at the top of all other rounds.

Our #1 radio station's #1 rated host (Felger) has literally accused two of our town's greatest players of all-time (Brady the GOAT and Pedro one of the greats) of taking roids with absolutely 0 proof or even previous speculation to base it off of

Boston radio will always be toxic garbage
Other than WEEI from 2-6, it's embarrassingly horrid and has never been worse.

Whoever called brissett the black tebow deserves an award for the metaphor. Loopy wind up deluvery, inaccuracy. Guy is a bust. Way overdrafted. Could pick up a random guy if they needed a backup.

In the second half they showed a few shots of BB talking to the ref for quite a while. The ref seemed relaxed, even amused, but BB didn't. Anyone have any idea what that was about? Or was it just BB's "happy face" (yes, I've seen the meme)?

A metric buttload of problems with fundamentals on defense last night.

DL guys - including Wise - were having a lot of difficulty shedding quickly enough. The LBs weren't much better.
LB gap discipline was often poor. Bad reads and false first steps were common.
Pursuit angles and tackling technique were poor.

Worst of all was deep safety play. On both of the long TD receptions that Cy Jones gave up, there wasn't another Pats player within a mile. Jones was essentially left on an island, and I very strongly doubt that was by design. I suspect that Jones wasn't moved to deep safety late in the game because he sucked at CB. I think it was because whoever they had at deep safety sucked even worse at THEIR job.

All of the big plays that were given up, and several of the smaller Jags' gains, were the direct result of poor fundamentals combined with bad reads/reactions (especially deep safety) and poor pre-snap positioning. As to the latter, either the players didn't understand their assignments, or the assignments weren't being communicated well by whoever had the gree dot.

The defenders who showed up best to me were Langi, Adam Butler (frequently double-teamed from the get-go) and Rivers, then Bates and Grissom late in the game. Grissom was actually showing some leadership, often getting the other front-seven guys lined up properly.

This is not to say that these guys looked "great", just that their positives appeared to outweigh their negatives.

Reactions: PP2
The secondary play has gotten a lot of attention because of the spectacular fails, but the thing that first caught my eye when I flipped on the game was the awful LB play on runs. They reminded me of one of those kids' toys that zips around randomly then gets stuck in a corner repeatedly bumping the wall.

While there certainly were some egregious breakdowns, the blocking on offense seemed surprisingly good, both in pass-pro and the ground game. Even Maye and Lucien had some nice blocks downfield. Maye seemed especially aggressive and competent.

Bolden, Lewis and Foster all looked good rushing and receiving. Daniels reminded me a tiny bit of BGE. He and Bolden are the heftiest RBs on the team now (220+).

Foster's fumble was the result of a picture-perfect, helmet-on-ball spear job, not carelessness on Foster's part. Foster had both arms wrapped around the ball and was being held up as he was trying to get to the ground after getting the first down. He didn't drop the ball; that hit launched the ball backwards in the air for about five yards before it hit the ground.

JG looked fairly sharp for the most part, but a couple of his throws arrived late, resulting in an incompletion or eliminating YAC opportunities.

Brissett's throwing mechanics seemed improved, but his reads are still way too slow and he still lacks variable speed and touch.
-------------------------

It may be worth noting that the offensive side of the 90-man roster is about 25% rookies, while the defensive side is 35% rookies, half of whom are DBs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back