PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Preseason Game Day Thread- Pats @ Giants

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

if you spent the past eleven years making 2 million a year and managed to bank 20 mill you’ll be able to sustain that lifestyle indefinitely, while the remainder of your passive income from the 20 mill continues to grow your nest egg.
Well clearly he made more than 2 million a year, my point is that “I don’t need any more money” would come when you are certain you can maintain your life style.
Having ten years pay in the bank at 35 doesn’t add up to maintaining the same income and lifestyle for the rest of your life.

He is a rookie with 3 preseason games so far. I don't think that his performances were anywhere near as bad as they would need to be to get cut as a rookie like that. With that logic they would have need to cut cajuste jennings as well or did anyone of them impress during their first year/s. ( I know abozut Cajuste's injury history) but he wasn't really good in his limited training action last year if i remember right. He looks good right now. Perkins will get there. And as DaBruinz mentioned he plays a bit different role than he used to is from College
I said multiple times already they don’t have to cut him, they can redshirt him with a mystery illness. He’s being asked to convert from a DE in college to OLB in the pros, unfortunately his athleticism doesn’t scream OLB.

I appreciate that they guy SF passed on Mac for is all the way at the bottom.
When Mahomes didn't play his first year folks gave KC crap for taking a pick that high that couldn't play. Remember how hard WE laughed at josh allen his first year. And if you want the reverse, remember how RG111 was going to the HOF after HIS first season.

Lets wait for about 4 years before we see who has the best QB. SF has a great prospect. They are just going to have be patient with him

Thomas looked really bad. They need to fix their Line somehow or their offense will still suck
They've tried signing a high priced free agent and then threw premium draft capital at the line and it still isn't good.

When Mahomes didn't play his first year folks gave KC crap for taking a pick that high that couldn't play. Remember how hard WE laughed at josh allen his first year. And if you want the reverse, remember how RG111 was going to the HOF after HIS first season.

Lets wait for about 4 years before we see who has the best QB. SF has a great prospect. They are just going to have be patient with him
I appreciate your knowledge and patience but clearly the Patriots won the offseason.

Pats outspent everyone during FAcy, won the Draft, went 3-0 during preseason and got some of the highest PFF grades for our rookies. It's over. We won the preseason. I can't wait for the regular season to be over to see how we do next preseason.

Now please stop raining on our parade.

Thank you.

I said multiple times already they don’t have to cut him, they can redshirt him with a mystery illness. He’s being asked to convert from a DE in college to OLB in the pros, unfortunately his athleticism doesn’t scream OLB.
No they can’t, and it would do him no good to take a year off of football if they could.

I think they called 1 or 2 designed runs during the preseason. 10 dropped balls for Lance. He was always a project. SF went all in X2. They have to make it work but have a plan just like us. Sometimes it's evident from the jump, sometimes it takes a minute. Never a good idea to make concrete statements this early.

I disagree about KC with hindsight. If they knew Mahomes was this brilliant and there were plenty reports that they did. Not just his physical gifts but it was said he "mastered" the playbook early on. Then they should have started him. Arguably the best stretch of QB play ever over 2-3 years and 1 title isn't something to carry on about now that you're paying him so much. Again I'm absolutely using hindsight but they might have missed a shot at a SB. It wasn't like be really need that year, again with hindsight.

No they can’t, and it would do him no good to take a year off of football if they could.
They do it all the time, Duke Dawson didn’t have hamstring issues exiting his first training camp, they put him on the IR. Gunner didn’t get injured when Sanu joined the team in 2019, they gave him the Foxboro flu. Some players are nowhere near ready in year one, there are ways to staff them assuming you’re ready to shut them down for the entire season.

I don’t but if you are saying someone is ready to stop earning and retire, wouldn’t that mean they have enough assets to not have their income go down?
Not really. It means they have enough assets to support their cash outflow. Nothing about sustaining income. That’s the point, if someone is making an income that is ten times their expenses they could retire on a tenth of that income without affecting their lifestyle.
Well clearly he made more than 2 million a year, my point is that “I don’t need any more money” would come when you are certain you can maintain your life style.
Having ten years pay in the bank at 35 doesn’t add up to maintaining the same income and lifestyle for the rest of your life.
But maintaining the same income is not necessary for retirement. That’s just something you’ve added that distorts the picture. If your savings generate enough income for you to live on without touching the principal that is sustainable indefinitely. It’s nice to have some excess as a cushion but that’s still a lot less than duplicating your entire income.

or look at it the other way. If he has over a million he can drop it into a professionally managed properly diversified portfolio that will easily return between five and ten per cent, and very possibly closer to fifteen per cent. So being conservative and assuming a 7.5% rate of return on $20,000,000 he’d be getting $1.5 million a year as his return. That’ll support a fairly comfortable lifestyle, likely with enough left over to grow the principal enough to offset inflation.

Last edited:
If we had another depth WR that we think could play better, there's more conversation, but Gunner is not only dynamic on his returns but dependable in his fielding/decisions on punts. That's worth it to me. Wilkerson (or eventually Harry) can be your actual depth WR.

That's not enough.

I’m not sure why we would get rid of an all-pro return man when his contract is so reasonable and he’s taken steps to improve at WR every year.

Not sure exactly how much he's improved as a WR... If at all...

I agree -- Taylor was Arizona's primary KR in college, but not PR. He looks much more comfortable returning kickoffs. IMO they have to keep Gunner unless/until they pick up another receiver with punt return experience.

I thought one of the appeals of our 2nd-rounder from 2020 was that he returned punts for whatever the name of that school was?

Last edited:
I think BB was really expecting Brady to decline so was trying to get Jimmy G ready. If BB wanted to trade Jimmy G he would have done so in April when he could have had one of the Browns’ 1st rounders. That he thought Brady would decline during 2017, maybe not to the point of needing to bench him, but to the point where he would have traded him in the offseason and resigned Jimmy G (although as we found out later, Kraft would never have allowed a Brady trade based on his handshake deal with him; Kraft would have cut him instead). And therefore giving Jimmy G the reps in camp was best for the team long term.

But Brady didn’t decline, and Belichick was forced to trade Jimmy G at the deadline or let him walk away for nothing that offseason. We didn’t have the cap space to pull off the tag-and-trade like we did with Cassel I’m 2009 (and some say that itself messed up the Pats 2009 offseason free agency options).
Bill's most damaging calculation by far. Didn't get the haul we should have for Jimmy and massively compromised his relationship with the Goat. A lose/lose of epic proportions.

He is a rookie with 3 preseason games so far. I don't think that his performances were anywhere near as bad as they would need to be to get cut as a rookie like that. With that logic they would have need to cut cajuste jennings as well or did anyone of them impress during their first year/s. ( I know abozut Cajuste's injury history) but he wasn't really good in his limited training action last year if i remember right. He looks good right now. Perkins will get there. And as DaBruinz mentioned he plays a bit different role than he used to is from College

Wozzy is right: Perkins has indeed truly Stunk this preseason.

If he were a UDFA instead of a top-100 pick, he would be waived tomorrow.

But he's not, so he won't be.

Josh Uche jumps out on the screen. He's got a great bust off of the line and a potential breakout player.

Dugger on the other hand.....

Yep, I though Josh Allen was a mega bust. He's got a great arm and is putting it all together.

No. Perkins wouldn't be waived tomorrow. That goes to show you don't know wtf you are talking about. The Patriots moved Perkins from DE to OLB, not EDGE. The differences between College DE and the Pats OLB are huge.

Claiming that Perkins stunk shows you didn't actually watch the games. (no surprise there, you never do).

Pats away uniforms should be their primary.

But he wasn't an UDFA. Because there's talent and potential there that made him a 3rd round pick. So what would theoretically happen, based on this preseason, if he were a different player isn't all that relevant to what's happening here and now.

They do it all the time, Duke Dawson didn’t have hamstring issues exiting his first training camp, they put him on the IR. Gunner didn’t get injured when Sanu joined the team in 2019, they gave him the Foxboro flu. Some players are nowhere near ready in year one, there are ways to staff them assuming you’re ready to shut them down for the entire season.
They were both injured.

Telling a guy to go home for a year doesn’t help him develop.

Not really. It means they have enough assets to support their cash outflow. Nothing about sustaining income. That’s the point, if someone is making an income that is ten times their expenses they could retire on a tenth of that income without affecting their lifestyle.

But maintaining the same income is not necessary for retirement. That’s just something you’ve added that distorts the picture. If your savings generate enough income for you to live on without touching the principal that is sustainable indefinitely. It’s nice to have some excess as a cushion but that’s still a lot less than duplicating your entire income.

or look at it the other way. If he has over a million he can drop it into a professionally managed properly diversified portfolio that will easily return between five and ten per cent, and very possibly closer to fifteen per cent. So being conservative and assuming a 7.5% rate of return on $20,000,000 he’d be getting $1.5 million a year as his return. That’ll support a fairly comfortable lifestyle, likely with enough left over to grow the principal enough to offset inflation.
The question wasn’t whether it was necessary it was whether he would want to work and make another million or 2.

I was waiting for Ring 6 to challenge someone on this.

"Foxboro flu" is a regular saying for a reason.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back