PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Pre Game Thread- Pats @ Dolphins

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could you please show us where anyone has suggested that Jackson is looking for $22m?

tbf I don't think he is saying Jackson is looking for that, just that if he hit the market maybe some team with cap space that are desperate for a #1 CB might offer it.

Spotrac has his market value at $20.9m per
Screenshot_20220109-082001_Chrome.jpg

I'd assume this is around what him and his agent have him valued as. The "biggest CB deal ever" range.

I mean if Marlon Humphrey is getting $19.5m per season I don't think it's unreasonable to think Jackson and his agent might value him north of that.

tbf I don't think he is saying Jackson is looking for that, just that if he hit the market maybe some team with cap space that are desperate for a #1 CB might offer it.

Spotrac has his market value at $20.9m per
View attachment 39680

I'd assume this is around what him and his agent have him valued as. The "biggest CB deal ever" range.

I mean if Marlon Humphrey is getting $19.5m per season I don't think it's unreasonable to think Jackson and his agent might value him north of that.
This topic is discussed in great detail in the JC thread but it does seem realistic JCs next deal will carry an AAV of $20m

Who do we play with a loss? And Cinny loss?

It’s not that warm today. A little humid, though. I’m not seeing much of an effect on the game.

Who do we play with a loss? And Cinny loss?

If Indy wins, that drops NE to the 7th seed and they go to KC.
If the Pats win, and Cincy loses, NE goes to Cincy.
If the Pats win and Cincy wins, NE goes to Buffalo.

If the Jets win, and the Pats win, Indy come to NE. And pigs will fly...

There's not enough cap room to fully replace everyone, so utilizing an asset on already sunk (low) money might be the way to go. (UFA after 2023)

Additionally he's shown he's not good with his back to the play, but perhaps similar to DMac the change to having the play in front of him may allow him to play more freely and with better recognition. He's a good tackler and good in run support - of all the things he doesn't do well he does do those two things at at the minimum journeyman level and probably better. It's pure coverage where he suffers. Plus there's still Phillips and Dugger so his role will likely be much more "true centerfielder" than captaining the entire defensive backfield like Mac did.

Is it the #1 option? No way. Is it an option? Sure. Again there's a lot of needs on this team on the defensive side. High, DMac, JCJ are all possible to likely departures. If the big money goes to replace High and keep JCJ I am pretty sure they'll need to save in other areas. He isn't the only option either...Mills and even Jones are other possibilities.

I'm not like a lot of posters here that get stuck on "must have known name stars at every position otherwise they suck". That's not reality. There will be positions where you have journeymen, usually more than one in a rotational approach (like DL and RB) that are not stars nor are they paid like it.

Having a big name and paid stud #1 CB remains to me the biggest need (whether JCJ or other) and a replacement 4 down LB as #2 - so the money to do that likely means being less capable somewhere else to "pay" for that.

They played JoJu at FS through 2 TCs and some games. They know what they have and how much that is worth.
His cap hit is 2.1M, savings 1.4, real cap savings 0.5.

Fighting for roster spot is his reality next yr. Depends on how competitive the DB TC roster will be..

Yeah, our very brief time out of the 20's and 30's in the draft is over. Our last time in the top 10 WAS at 10 the year we got Mayo. So once again we will be picking at a spot where the 2nd tier of athlete is available. No Micah Parsons to be found there. So if I'm running the draft, I would be looking for a CB first, a DT 2nd, and a LB 3rd (sorry WR nerds). Even if we keep Jackson, you cannot have too many quality CB's, but I think there might be more quality DT's in the late 20's than CB's.. But who knows at this stage.

BTW- I'm always going to wonder if both Jones and Parsons had been available at 15, I find it hard to think BB would have passed on the next Lawrence Taylor. I know QB is more important, but I wonder if he thought he might thought be could get Davis in round two and win that way. Makes for interesting supposition.

What's unfortunate for this draft is it seems like it's not a very talented QB class. I always felt like the Patriots (and other teams with a set starter at QB) had an advantage during one of the QB crazy classes, because that left 4-5 really good prospects at other positions available when they picked. Hopefully some of the borderline QB's coming out this year can get some pre draft hype and get someone in the top 20 to overdraft them, thus freeing up a CB or similar for Pats to jump on in the 20's... or hell, in the 30's, let's get optimistic ;)

draft SEC corners/safeties and coach them up..what we need is a difference maker at LB/DE along with a WR to replace the "bust" and a left tackle. IMO of course...

draft SEC corners/safeties and coach them up..what we need is a difference maker at LB/DE along with a WR to replace the "bust" and a left tackle. IMO of course...
Yep. Load up on defense. Cover CBs, quicker LBs in space and a fat-ass at DT.

Offensively they are what they are. They may add a WR or two on the cheap but I'm banking on Mac's Year 2 jump to put them in the Top 5 offensively.

This topic is discussed in great detail in the JC thread but it does seem realistic JCs next deal will carry an AAV of $20m
I'm always baffled at how the deals actually come out vs. how we discuss them. Well, far too often, anyway. But I really don't understand how he goes south of $20m AAV and a lot of that guaranteed. In fact, I think it'll be higher - because that's today's market-setting number, and we're talking about next season's, unless he'll take being locked in as having value vs. hitting the market. IOW, if someone from the Pats magically said "OK JC, we made the room, sign sign sign, we'll get you 20m if you sign now..." maybe he does it... but why? To protect against the chance that he gets hurt in the playoffs + 1 regular season game?

I think next year onward the market shoots north, and $20m doesn't look like it looks today. But what do I know.

What's unfortunate for this draft is it seems like it's not a very talented QB class. I always felt like the Patriots (and other teams with a set starter at QB) had an advantage during one of the QB crazy classes, because that left 4-5 really good prospects at other positions available when they picked. Hopefully some of the borderline QB's coming out this year can get some pre draft hype and get someone in the top 20 to overdraft them, thus freeing up a CB or similar for Pats to jump on in the 20's... or hell, in the 30's, let's get optimistic ;)
Well... not that unfortunate, as it further validates the choice at 15 last year. :D

That said, it's a long time between the college bowls and the draft, and stock rises and falls constantly, which is just reason #29083457 the draft is a fascinating crap-shoot.

I'm always baffled at how the deals actually come out vs. how we discuss them. Well, far too often, anyway. But I really don't understand how he goes south of $20m AAV and a lot of that guaranteed. In fact, I think it'll be higher - because that's today's market-setting number, and we're talking about next season's, unless he'll take being locked in as having value vs. hitting the market. IOW, if someone from the Pats magically said "OK JC, we made the room, sign sign sign, we'll get you 20m if you sign now..." maybe he does it... but why? To protect against the chance that he gets hurt in the playoffs + 1 regular season game?

I think next year onward the market shoots north, and $20m doesn't look like it looks today. But what do I know.
Yep. It has a real chance of being north of $20m IMO.

NFL cap will be $208m next year and you'll have (estimated) 11 teams with over $40m in space. Just a quick glance at those teams 9 of them need a shutdown CB desperately.

If JC wants to play hardball he won't sign the tag and force his way out of town. Hopefully Rosenhaus and BB can figure something out.

If Indy wins, that drops NE to the 7th seed and they go to KC.
If the Pats win, and Cincy loses, NE goes to Cincy.
If the Pats win and Cincy wins, NE goes to Buffalo.

Thanks for making that more clear... I think. :)

32. :evil:

Has anyone else instinctively been waiting for the inactives? It took me a few minutes to remember the game doesn't start in 45 minutes. Damn.

....and since jets fans are pigs....look for a bunch of filthy green blimps in the sky tonight

Pats game not on UK TV we have the 49'rs v Rams at that slot time
ayoo matey

If yeerr lookin fo some booty, call'on mi private quarters, no treasure is hidden long for a pirate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick