PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PostGame Thread OFFICIAL POSTGAME THREAD: Week 17 - NE @ BUF

Immediate Postgame Reactions
I don’t really get your point though. He also scores a ton of TDs.

He is responsible for something like 85% of the teams TDs. He has a better TD/turnover ratio than Lamar.

I would take him in a heartbeat.
Lol, no he doesn't. On passing TD/INT, Lamar's (3.4) is twice as good as Allen's (1.7).

Even if you count all TDs and fumbles, Lamar is 3.2 and Allen is at 2.2

Yeah, I got that one wrong and we noticed this later in the other thread. I extended out the SOS percentages to 8 decimal places after @ctpatsfan77 and @Ross12 pointed it out, and that was the actual difference. But the formula I have for that number is accurate (it matches Tankathon's for every team), and I've also since added it to the standings page (under OPP PCT), as it's a useful metric when it comes to adding some context to teams' records (since you can also see how tough a road each one had given the record of their opponents). You can also mouseover each one and see the full number.
What you got wrong were how the tie breakers are determined. You continued to post wrong information, which is disappointing given that people here trust you.

Note: GD there goes my NYR to stop being an *******.

Reactions: Ian
Kraft can't technically fire him as he's still under contract. Best case, they can negotiate a departure that includes Bill moving to another team that takes part of his salary. Worst case, Kraft eats the entire salary and keeps Bill unemployed for 2024. And what would be the appetite in 2025 for a 73 year old coach who had sat out a year after a 3/4 win season in 2023?
If you dismiss someone under contract but continue paying him per that contract are you really firing him, or just removing him from that position?
He can fired, but as you mentioned, Kraft has to pay him regardless unless Bill signs on with another team as a HC.

I don't see Kraft firing Bill, paying him $25M and hiring another HC. Bill may have a better deal to sit out for $25M than what another team may offer at this stage of his career.

With that aside, something needs to be done with Mayo as he dropped a potential HC job last year to return to the Pats.

You know a team is much better when they play a C- game and still win.
Yea not sure why the knock on them. Sure, Allen played like crap, but against playoff teams, they've won 4 (KC, MIA, TB & DAL) and lost 2 (PHI & JAX). They lost by a total of 8 pts in the 2 loses. They won by an avg of 14.5 pts per win.

What you got wrong were how the tie breakers are determined. You continued to post wrong information, which is disappointing given that people here trust you.

Yep, I posted the information directly from the league, based on how it's determined, but obviously misinterpreted it. Sucks to be wrong, but "it is what it is."

1704137692044.png

And it started when I messed up the metric (not moving it out to enough decimal places) so that certainly didn't help. Fortunately I got a little help there, so that's at least correct moving forward.

LOL, certainly not the first time I've been wrong and I'm sure it won't be the last. But the cool part about this place is that there are enough smarter minds who will tell you if you're wrong and then point you in the right direction.

I never really looked into this metric all that deeply until recently, but I think you probably know me well enough that I'm persistent to the point where I'll get this worked out and I'll get it right eventually ;)

Meanwhile, I'll also still wander through the board with a bit of this:
Embarrassed Shame GIF

He can fired, but as you mentioned, Kraft has to pay him regardless unless Bill signs on with another team as a HC.

I don't see Kraft firing Bill, paying him $25M and hiring another HC. Bill may have a better deal to sit out for $25M than what another team may offer at this stage of his career.

With that aside, something needs to be done with Mayo as he dropped a potential HC job last year to return to the Pats.
25M is 0.2% of Kraft's net worth. I doubt that'll be a factor.

Yep, I posted the information directly from the league, based on how it's determined, but obviously misinterpreted it. Sucks to be wrong, but "it is what it is."

View attachment 55603

And it started when I messed up the metric (not moving it out to enough decimal places) so that certainly didn't help. Fortunately I got a little help there, so that's at least correct moving forward.

LOL, certainly not the first time I've been wrong and I'm sure it won't be the last. But the cool part about this place is that there are enough smarter minds who will tell you if you're wrong and then point you in the right direction.

I never really looked into this metric all that deeply until recently, but I think you probably know me well enough that I'm persistent to the point where I'll get this worked out and I'll get it right eventually ;)
I think what you're missing from the above is:

1. Division tiebreaker (N/A)
2. Conference tiebreaker (N/A)
3. Interconference tiebreaker (Applies)
4. Then your list of tiebreakers

You need to look at interconference records first before head-to-head, etc.

• Agree
They need to move fast if they plan on having a new HC.

New this year is that teams can’t meet in person with coaching candidates currently employed by NFL teams until after the division round of the playoffs which should delay the normal hiring cycle by 2 weeks.

I would be very surprised if Bill was “fired “ next Monday. There have already been reports of an “evaluation “ process after the season which will likely correspond with the contact moratorium. Waiting until the Monday of the conference championship week should not put the Pats at any disadvantage hiring a HC and GM currently employed by another team.

Plus, whether we agree or not, the Krafts might already have their next HC and GM already in the building along with their current group of assistants under contract as well. This gives the Krafts even more time to sit on Belichick as leverage to get compensation from any team interested in hiring him. Time is on their side.

I don’t expect it to come to that. Ask yourself this. At this point, why would Belichick want to come back if there’s another team out there who wants to hire him? The Krafts have allowed him to twist in the wind for over a month by not publicly refuting Curran’s dye is cast report.

How I think this plays out is Belichick “resigns” or “ retires “ as HC of the NEP after reaching agreement with Kraft about his 2024 salary and Kraft’s desired compensation (yes, the Pats could underwrite some of Bill’s 2024 salary to increase the draft pick compensation they receive) next week or so.

Yes, I'm aware of the empty seats as posters who attended the games have mentioned on here and the decline of ticket prices. I'm also aware of the noise from the media.

We'll see in a few weeks what will happen.

Although I can see Kraft potentially wimping out on firing Belichick, I don't think it will because Kraft feels he owes Belichick to go out how he wants or a sense of loyalty. I think it would be about Kraft's legacy. He already looks bad for letting Brady go for nothing and him winning another ring. He doesn't want that to happen again with Belichick.

Kraft wants to get into the HOF before he dies. I think he has been having problems because of some of the legacy of the Pats under his ownership (Spygate, Deflategate) plus a sense of jealousy against him. So he is concerned about things like this.

I think if it was up to Jonathan, Belichick might have been gone after last year. I think Robert knows it is time to move on especially if they have the #2 pick and want to draft Maye. You don't want Belichick to be building a team and specifically an offense for him.

I think if Robert sticks to what he wants to do and doesn't waiver, he finds a way to part ways with Belichick without making a huge issue of it. But I do not discount him having second thoughts and not wanting to do it. Not because it is what he thinks is best for the team, but what he thinks that is best for his legacy.

There is really no way that it will work with Belichick here only as a head coach. Either they put in a puppet GM who will basically do what Belichick wants. Or they put in a GM who is building for the future and not specifically what Belichick wants for the immediacy and they butt heads (see Parcells and Bobby Grier).

Meanwhile, I'll also still wander through the board with a bit of this:
Embarrassed Shame GIF
At least you didn't have to walk the streets naked while people jeered and threw rotten tomatoes at you. So that's something! Happy New Years Ian! It's 2024, time to wash away the shame and turn over a new leaf! :thumbsup:

• ThankU!
Man, on any given day at this point I teeter between “run it back with Bill with a new GM” and “burn it down, new offensive minded HC with no ties to the org, new GM with no ties to the org, completely fresh start”. I really can’t say which I prefer at the moment. There are a lot of things that come along with Bill that I would really hate to lose, and yet there are some things that would leave along with Bill that I kinda can’t wait to be rid of.

Yes, I'm aware of the empty seats as posters who attended the games have mentioned on here and the decline of ticket prices. I'm also aware of the noise from the media.

We'll see in a few weeks what will happen.

A few weeks? I'm hoping Bill's fired in One week.

Yea not sure why the knock on them. Sure, Allen played like crap, but against playoff teams, they've won 4 (KC, MIA, TB & DAL) and lost 2 (PHI & JAX). They lost by a total of 8 pts in the 2 loses. They won by an avg of 14.5 pts per win.

And they absolutely should've beaten Philthadelphia too.

Man, on any given day at this point I teeter between “run it back with Bill with a new GM” and “burn it down, new offensive minded HC with no ties to the org, new GM with no ties to the org, completely fresh start”. I really can’t say which I prefer at the moment. There are a lot of things that come along with Bill that I would really hate to lose, and yet there are some things that would leave along with Bill that I kinda can’t wait to be rid of.

Burn it down.

FWIW you're always going to get a chance to replace BB but you'll never be able to unring that bell.

Lol, no he doesn't. On passing TD/INT, Lamar's (3.4) is twice as good as Allen's (1.7).

Even if you count all TDs and fumbles, Lamar is 3.2 and Allen is at 2.2
Math is not your thing I see.

Lamar has 29 Total TD and 13 turnovers. 2.2 TD/turnover

Allen has 42 total TD and 19 turnovers. 2.2 TD/turnover

Math is not your thing I see.

Lamar has 29 Total TD and 13 turnovers. 2.2 TD/turnover

Allen has 42 total TD and 19 turnovers. 2.2 TD/turnover

Looks like I missed strip sack fumbles on Lamar since espn shows only 2 FL.

Regardless, my #s are correct on passing TD/INT (Lamar: 3.43 >2x Allen: 1.69) and your statement is still wrong, using your own numbers, but who's counting. Lol

He is responsible for something like 85% of the teams TDs. He has a better TD/turnover ratio than Lamar.

Lamar: 2.23 > Allen: 2.21

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back