Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

Who do you want to see OUT?

• Mac Jones OUT! Let us see Zappe!

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Matt Patricia OUT! Let someone else call the offensive plays!

Votes: 102 79.7%
  • Joe Judge OUT! He is ruining our Quarterbacks!

Votes: 48 37.5%
  • KEEP them ALL - I have complete FAITH in the choices BB has made so far this season!

Votes: 5 3.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Parker knows the rule there. He simply can't step out of bounds. His effort on the play was exceptionally weak.
He got pushed oob by DB prior to this. Should've been a hold but Mac was already out of the pocket when it happened.

I'm honestly about ready to sign up for inking Jimmy G to a 4 year deal, develop Zappe, trade Mac for a 2nd + 3rd (I think you can get that) and use those to move up for a tackle in the draft. Slightly backload Jimmy's deal to leave room in '22 to sign more linemen, re-sign Meyers and target more receivers. And get a new OC...

You can compete with that 100%. Jimmy will get hurt sometimes, but Zappe can manage games.

Huh? Teams overload the receivers on one side and then throw to the loan receiver on the other side all the time. By stacking the receivers on one side, you leave the receiver on the other side in single coverage. If it is a favorable match up, it can be a big play potential.

Fact is Jones looked to Parker first and since he was running a slant, it would have been a quick strike. But he was covered pretty well.

And again, it doesn’t matter. Henry didn’t look back for the ball until the defender was already in Jones’ face and blocking the throwing lane to Henry anyway. So even if the play was to Henry, Jones had no way to get it to him.
He didn't run a slant, it was an in cut route which is much slower than the slant. He was also double covered on it. Mac should have know that was going to happen based on the defensive alignment. There was no PA to suck the LB down from coverage. If Mac had looked left and put the ball in the air, Henry would have turned his head and had a chance to make a play on the already thrown ball.

Yes the line didn't give him enough time, but he should have known Parker was DOA on that play from the defensive alignment. Which is something he's done a lot this year.

He got pushed oob by DB prior to this. Should've been a hold but Mac was already out of the pocket when it happened.
Looks to me like Parker steps out of bounds first.

Here:

View attachment 47921

If he can't make that throw (he's set) to a wide open receiver in the EZ, he's not the guy. He got spooked.

Not trying to be a jerk, just being honest. I don’t think he trusts his arm to have the velocity to get it in there in time for a DB to not pick it off. That throw takes serious arm strength.

I'm honestly about ready to sign up for inking Jimmy G to a 4 year deal, develop Zappe, trade Mac for a 2nd + 3rd (I think you can get that) and use those to move up for a tackle in the draft. Slightly backload Jimmy's deal to leave room in '22 to sign more linemen, re-sign Meyers and target more receivers. And get a new OC...

You can compete with that 100%. Jimmy will get hurt sometimes, but Zappe can manage games.
I’d make it a 2-year deal so that Zappe is still under contract in case Jimmy falters/gets injured and Zappe outplays him. If that happened, they’d need to extend Zappe before he got to the end of his deal (he’d have one year left). If Jimmy plays well, I don’t think he’d leave. He’s been out there and unless the current situation here didn’t change, he’d be crazy to walk away. Obviously, Bill likes him.

1. OL
2. Patricia
3. WRs
4. Mac

Injury or not, Mac is showing some very worrying signs about his physical and mental toughness.
And who in this group do you think can still be salvaged? Or do we flip everything and basically start over?

And who in this group do you think can still be salvaged? Or do we flip everything and basically start over?
If they’re not going to seriously solidify the offensive line, they need to either switch gears and find a running quarterback or spend money on an impact receiver. I’ve said it a few times, no QB can be under duress consistently week after week with guys who also can’t win on each play. We’ve seen it with Mac and it played a role in Zappe’s second half against Chicago.

I was talking about Mac throwing it at this point.
I'm surprised at Patsfans for not pointing out the obvious. Patricia doesn't like Bourne so he must have told Mac not to throw it to him.

I’d make it a 2-year deal so that Zappe is still under contract in case Jimmy falters/gets injured and Zappe outplays him. If that happened, they’d need to extend Zappe before he got to the end of his deal (he’d have one year left). If Jimmy plays well, I don’t think he’d leave. He’s been out there and unless the current situation here didn’t change, he’d be crazy to walk away. Obviously, Bill likes him.
How do we know Zappe isn't at least as good as Garoppolo? I think we've seen Garoppolo's ceiling and it's not championship level. If you're going to chase down Garoppolo in the off-season then you may as well be bold and go after Brady instead. I'd much rather see a transition to Zappe after a couple of seasons with Brady.

Were 6-6 not 1-11. Just figure out QB and the rest will follow.
Is mediocrity the goal? You think any young QB is gonna thrive under Patricia and Judge? Our o-line magically getting good in an off season?

And figuring out the QB could take years. Look at the other teams in our division and how long it took them to find a QB.

I’d make it a two year deal so that Zappe is still under contract in case Jimmy falters/gets injured and Zappe outplays him. If that happened, they’d need to extend Zappe before he got to the end of his deal. If Jimmy plays well, I don’t think he’d leave. He’s been out there and unless the current situation here didn’t change, he’d be crazy to walk away. Obviously, Bill likes him.
I understand your logic and in general I'd agree, but I think Jimmy is going to be seeking at least 4 years after having been jerked around by Lynch and Shanahan the last couple years. Zappe is under contract until the end of the 2025 season so even if Garoppolo falters and/or Zappe ascends, there'd only be one season of crossover where Zappe would need to be re-signed and Garoppolo is still on the payroll. Depending on the cap hit Garoppolo would probably get released or traded to a destination with his input involved in that scenario, he'd still be in his mid 30's. It's hard to say what his contract value will look like though.

I agree about the rest though, I think he'd welcome coming back to NE for some stability and to work with Belichick who values him. He's also charismatic and might help with player buy-in/bringing other free agents in. It seems like guys really like him in SF.

If they’re not going to seriously solidify the offensive line, they need to either switch gears and find a running quarterback or spend money on an impact receiver. I’ve said it a few times, no QB can be under duress consistently week after week with guys who also can’t win on each play. We’ve seen it with Mac and it played a role in Zappe’s second half against Chicago.
That's pretty much where I start. It will be criminal if we don't go after a top tackle on the free agent market and draft one in the first 2 rounds and probably even another in rds 3-5.

Assuming we fix this can Mac still be Salvaged? Would Patricia actually be able to scheme things? Could Bourne and the TEs be turned around?

I understand your logic and in general I'd agree, but I think Jimmy is going to be seeking at least 4 years after having been jerked around by Lynch and Shanahan the last couple years.
I agree, but I guess it depends on how the year finishes. If he ends up either in the NFC Championship or the Super Bowl, that probably changes things.

It’s tough. I think the one sticking point is the Patriots won’t over pay him, so it sort of comes down to whatever someone else is willing to offer him. I’d like to think after everything that’s gone down, he’d go where he’s wanted and appreciated. But like you said, the offers would need to be close to equal for that to happen.

Is mediocrity the goal? You think any young QB is gonna thrive under Patricia and Judge? Our o-line magically getting good in an off season?

And figuring out the QB could take years. Look at the other teams in our division and how long it took them to find a QB.
It's not stuck in the wild with no clue how to get out.

I don't think it takes magic to fix the o-line just a heavy investment. If we can't fix the o-line this off-season then we might be lost in the wild.

If you assume we buy the best tackle we can find and draft another OL high and that the OL will be functional next year then can Mac be saved or do we need to move on. And dare I ask it but could the coaching staff function with a real OL?

Personally at this point I don't trust Mac enough and I don't trust the offensive coaching enough and Bill is too old to give either another year and have it fail. If he does bring back one or both you know me in BB I trust.

I will wait and see what happens this month and will leave open this possiblity if we still make the playoffs. But if not I don't want to waste time so go buy Jimmy, an Oline, and bring back BoB.

I appreciate Bill for trying to rebuild with a young QB as it would have left the franchise in a better place at this point I think I'd rather see him take one more swing for the fences with veterans than double down on anyone or all of them.

Too bad he wasn't as young as Tomlin or Harbaugh last time they won because if Bill had a decade to fix this we wouldn't have to panic but the timeline is so condensed these decisions are basically make or break for his chances at another title and possibly even at catching Shula.

It's not stuck in the wild with no clue how to get out.

I don't think it takes magic to fix the o-line just a heavy investment. If we can't fix the o-line this off-season then we might be lost in the wild.

If you assume we buy the best tackle we can find and draft another OL high and that the OL will be functional next year then can Mac be saved or do we need to move on. And dare I ask it but could the coaching staff function with a real OL?
For me it’s a lot of ifs. We knew the situation with Wynn last year and we went OG first round for some reason. We now need LT and RT. We also need depth. Tackles are expensive.

We also need to more at WR and TE. I have no faith in BB getting us a legit number one WR.

Then we have Patricia and Judge. Reports coming out now the players are not on board with them, wondering what the hell is going on. We can’t come back next year with these 2 in their current positions.

Then there’s Mac. I think we dealt him a really sh*tty hand this year. A garbage o-line and offensive coach’s out of their depth. Now we don’t know what we got in him.

There’s a lot to fix.

Rob Ninkovich on ESPN "Get Up":

"Pats don't have one player on offense that's a game changer that a defense has to game plan against that ONE guy or else they're going to beat you".

Last edited:

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back