PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post-Game Thread: Week 1 - Pats lose to Dolphins 17-16

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

If pats fix the offensive line - maybe a combination of jones setting protections more accurately - this will look much better.

Nobody whos honest with themselves sees this team as a Super Bowl contender. The most important thing by far today was to see how Mac Jones played. And he was efficient. Got rid of the ball quickly, made adjustments when he had to and had no problem finding his second and third reads. I'll take a week one loss with the way the team looked.

Stevenson looked lost, i dont expect him to stay lost. He's an Ironhead Hayward and I'll be happy with that. Should have probably held onto Michel.
I never thought they would contend this year. I would have put the at 8-8 but now it's a 17 game season so
i'll say 8-9

This loss sucks, but the damage with regards to the division is limited. It's worse for the wild card, but it's still just week one.

A loss next week, though.....
It's the worse loss of all 3 AFCE losses since it's the only Div loss. Jete loss to Panthers is the least and BUF comes in 2nd. But you're correct, it's just one week.

It's annoying that we lost the way we did but between the penalties and the turnovers we really never separated from them.

End reminded me of that loss to bills last year where cam fumbled inside the 10 I think.

weve got a tough stretch ahead. After the jets next week, we got the saints and TB12 coming to town. Going to be a huge test for the defense

This is and incredibly impressive stat 29-39 is awesome. Also read Jones was 8-12 under duress with a TD pass. Whereas Tua was 0-4 under duress. Couldn’t be happier with Jones’ first game, and he should only get better. Sure he will have some bad games, but I think the good will outweigh the bad by a decent amount. He seems like a perfect fit for this offense.
JC Jackson shouldn’t be saying things like this in public after a loss, but he really isn’t wrong:

“If he doesn’t have his first read, he just is going to throw the ball up and that’s when we capitalize on defense when he makes mistakes like that,” Jackson said after the game.

Jackson was asked if he felt like the secondary kept Tagovailoa on his toes and confused the quarterback

“Yeah, pretty much we did,” Jackson said. “We just have to finish the last few minutes of the game.”
J.C. Jackson didn't seem impressed with Tua Tagovailoa in Patriots' loss

Since it was Mac Jones this stat probably won't be mentioned outside of this tweet but if it was Lawrence, Wilson, Lance or Fields it would be plastered by the nfl national media
Doubt Mac gaf about stats. He wants Ws!

Not the best time for JC Jackson to be talking like this. Defense didn’t do enough against Tua. He gave up some big yards late and setting himself up for criticism giving Tua his first read.

“If he doesn’t have his first read, he just is going to throw the ball up and that’s when we capitalize on defense when he makes mistakes like that,” Jackson said after the game.

Jackson was asked if he felt like the secondary kept Tagovailoa on his toes and confused the quarterback

“Yeah, pretty much we did,” Jackson said. “We just have to finish the last few minutes of the game.”

Algolar showed up and was the best receiver for the pats. Good sign I guess.
still not happy. Lol

That was good to see. All I heard about was his hands all offseason. He was money today. Bourne showed up for a couple of plays too. Too bad the one was called back.

bill was out coached. his team committed costly turnovers and penalties and his binky Bolden inexplicably ran a kick out of the End zone only to be stopped at the 18. tack on a penalty and instead of ball at 25 w a rookie QB the ball is at the 8. after 1 game all we can say is this is an undisciplined team that gives the ball away and commits penalties at the worst time....

But Jones gives us hope

Not the best time for JC Jackson to be talking like this. Defense didn’t do enough against him. He gave up some big yards late and setting himself up for criticism giving Tua his first read.

Yep, saw him yapping at Parker a few times. JC Jackson made some plays but let’s not pretend the Lolphins did not. Hoping for Gilmore to come back healthy, it will change a lotnof things.

Not the best time for JC Jackson to be talking like this. Defense didn’t do enough against him. He gave up some big yards late and setting himself up for criticism giving Tua his first read.

Specially when we haven't had great success beating them in MIA lately. We keep underestimating Flores.

We need an elite redzone WR and this team will be very good

Just saw Mac’s presser. Now I know why Bill loves the kid.

Yep, saw him yapping at Parker a few times. JC Jackson made some plays but let’s not pretend the Lolphins did not. Hoping for Gilmore to come back healthy, it will change a lotnof things.
I think Gilmore played his last down and gets traded.

I think he’s exaggerating his rehabbing of his surgery.

bill was out coached. his team committed costly turnovers and penalties and his binky Bolden inexplicably ran a kick out of the End zone only to be stopped at the 18. tack on a penalty and instead of ball at 25 w a rookie QB the ball is at the 8. after 1 game all we can say is this is an undisciplined team that gives the ball away and commits penalties at the worst time....

Here you go again. It’s Week 1, give it a rest, coaches don’t fumble the ball. Bolden used his best judgment leaving the endzone, do you really think he has an inkling of time to look over from the end zone on a bang bang play to get approval for that?

We’ll see who is more disciplined in the coming weeks. As the season progresses this team gets better. I don’t need kool aid to figure that out. A lot of new faces implemented into the offense and a few on defense as well. It’s going to take a little time.
But sure, go on with the he got outcoached rhetoric.

Last edited:
What I found so dismaying in this loss was that the Patriots WRs could not get open. Time and again Mac made a perfect pass, but it was knocked away because the the WR could not get separation. It is disgraceful that the Patriots spent so much money on upgrading the team, but could not find a true number one WR. The defense was magnificent, but the anemic offense let them down.

As the season progresses this team gets better. I don’t need kool aid to figure that out. A lot of new faces implemented into the offense and a few on defense as well. It’s going to take a little time.
But sure, go on with the he got outcoached rhetoric.
I agree with this opinion. My fear is Mac gets crushed because of our inferior O line play. He took seven crushing hits today alone. Mac looked competent today. As he gains real time reps he will make progress. By week 8 this offense should be a force with this kid driving it....but I fear the lack of talent up front combined with the propensity of our OC to put skill players in postions where they get murdered, I DREAD the appearance of Hoyer in our lineup. If Mac gets hurt and Hoyer comes on, we lose every single game he QB's. Don't try to sugar coat this....Hoyer should not even bE in the NFL anymore.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back