PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post-Game Thread: Week 1 - Pats lose to Dolphins 17-16

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

What I found so dismaying in this loss was that the Patriots WRs could not get open. Time and again Mac made a perfect pass, but it was knocked away because the the WR could not get separation. It is disgraceful that the Patriots spent so much money on upgrading the team, but could not find a true number one WR. The defense was magnificent, but the anemic offense let them down.

we simply don’t look for explosive athletes at the WR position. It’s sad. Deebo Samuel would have looked nice in a pats uniform today catching wide open passes from Mac

What I found so dismaying in this loss was that the Patriots WRs could not get open. Time and again Mac made a perfect pass, but it was knocked away because the the WR could not get separation. It is disgraceful that the Patriots spent so much money on upgrading the team, but could not find a true number one WR. The defense was magnificent, but the anemic offense let them down.
Really? Not sure where tf you’re getting your info from? Mac Jones completed a rookie record 74% of his passes which means the wr’s caught 74% of the passes thrown their way. If anything Mac Put the ball in some spots that only the the wrs could catch it. I thought the receivers and tight ends did a great job on a very vanilla kind of day. The full playbook isn’t even open to these newcomers yet.

Didn't catch most of the game, but the below drives are not inspiring. I'm sure there's a lot of context missing but you can't win kicking FGs.

PUNT
FUMBLE
FG
PUNT
TD
FG
FG
FUMBLE

Going 1-4 in red zone isn't ideal either. Bill, Fix It!

Didn't catch most of the game, but the below drives are not inspiring. I'm sure there's a lot of context missing but you can't win kicking FGs.

PUNT
FUMBLE
FG
PUNT
TD
FG
FG
FUMBLE

Going 1-4 in red zone isn't ideal either. Bill, Fix It!
Fix the refs. Those fumbles were weak to say the least. I know BB won't see it that way but...well...it is what it is.

I agree with this opinion. My fear is Mac gets crushed because of our inferior O line play. He took seven crushing hits today alone. Mac looked competent today. As he gains real time reps he will make progress. By week 8 this offense should be a force with this kid driving it....but I fear the lack of talent up front combined with the propensity of our OC to put skill players in postions where they get murdered, I DREAD the appearance of Hoyer in our lineup. If Mac gets hurt and Hoyer comes on, we lose every single game he QB's. Don't try to sugar coat this....Hoyer should not even bE in the NFL anymore.

I can agree with that. He took quite a few shots, some of his own making. As good as his completion percentage was he needs to get better and so does the oline. Didnt help that Brown went down or the rookie almost got him killed in pass protection either. Make no mistake, Stevenson wasn’t benched for his fumble, he actually came in for another series afterwards. It was his Jane like block that almost put his QB in a wheel chair. He’s got to do better.

We need an elite redzone WR and this team will be very good
Hunter Henry and Smith are those players...they just have to not fumble in the RZ.

That’s why I hate those signings so much. Two tight ends getting paid Gronk/Kelce money and neither is close to an elite red zone threat. They’re good players but not great ones.

Fix the refs. Those fumbles were weak to say the least. I know BB won't see it that way but...well...it is what it is.
Weak? Harris didn't fumble? (didn't see the other one).

when game was on the line, Pats D gave up 2 5 yard runs up the middle. If they did their job knowing the fins were running the ball, The Pats get the ball back with a chance to win the game. Big letdown..

Turnovers and bad officiating aside. The Dolphins had 2 touchdowns and a FG with their 3 excursions into the red zone. The Patriots got one TD and 3 FGs in their 4 trips. That’s the game folks.

The Dolphins wanted to run the ball in the red zone and the Pats failed to stop them twice. The Patriots wanted to run the ball in the red zone and the Dolphins stopped them all four times they tried including the Harris fumble which was good, swarming defense as much as it was carelessness with the ball.

There are lies, damn lies and statistics. You can play with numbers and averages all you want, but the Pats have to be able to stop offenses from running the ball on them at will on short yardage, goal line and end game situations or they’re going to lose games the rest of the team is good enough to win like today.

On offense, McDaniels game calling was very uneven. He put too much on Jones at times and too little at other times. They’ve got to throw the ball more out of run formations especially in the red zone to stop teams from selling out so much stopping the Pats run game.

I agree with this opinion. My fear is Mac gets crushed because of our inferior O line play. He took seven crushing hits today alone. Mac looked competent today. As he gains real time reps he will make progress. By week 8 this offense should be a force with this kid driving it....but I fear the lack of talent up front combined with the propensity of our OC to put skill players in postions where they get murdered, I DREAD the appearance of Hoyer in our lineup. If Mac gets hurt and Hoyer comes on, we lose every single game he QB's. Don't try to sugar coat this....Hoyer should not even bE in the NFL anymore.

7 hits a game too many. Over a 17 game season it's playing with fire subjecting him to possibly 119 hits from angry defensive players trying to end him.

Turnovers and bad officiating aside. The Dolphins had 2 touchdowns and a FG with their 3 excursions into the red zone. The Patriots got one TD and 3 FGs in their 4 trips. That’s the game folks.

The Dolphins wanted to run the ball in the red zone and the Pats failed to stop them twice. The Patriots wanted to run the ball in the red zone and the Dolphins stopped them all four times they tried including the Harris fumble which was good, swarming defense as much as it was carelessness with the ball.

There are lies, damn lies and statistics. You can play with numbers and averages all you want, but the Pats have to be able to stop offenses from running the ball on them at will on short yardage, goal line and end game situations or they’re going to lose games the rest of the team is good enough to win like today.

On offense, McDaniels game calling was very uneven. He put too much on Jones at times and too little at other times. They’ve got to throw the ball more out of run formations especially in the red zone to stop teams from selling out so much stopping the Pats run game.

Over time you can't keep blaming Cam when inept playcalling keeps losing in the red zone.

@JMC00
@archstanton543

Why do you take issue with my post that, despite being paid Kelce/Gronk money (which they are), neither Henry or Smith are elite red zone threats? What exactly am I missing here? Care to explain why you disagree?

1631502635918.png

1631502672990.png

That’s why I hate those signings so much. Two tight ends getting paid Gronk/Kelce money and neither is close to an elite red zone threat. They’re good players but not great ones.
Just wait, it's game 1 with a rookie QB. The team is going to get much better fast. Once Mac has a season of defensive looks under his belt, teams better watch out if they make the playoffs

You should not lose a game where you have 36+ minutes of offense to 23+ for the other team.

You should not lose a game when you get almost 400 yards of offense and give up around 250.

The Pats have to figure out the Red Zone. That's where they lost the game - 16 points on 5 trips tot he red zone isn't good.

Mac Jones is the real deal.
Jonnu Smith and Hunter Henry combined for 8 catches on 8 targets for 83 yards. First time on the field together. They're going to be key. Agholor looks like a good signing.

Penalties and fumbles were the difference. They should have won - against a pretty good football team.
So, yeah, it pisses me off, but a kid in his first game gave them the best QB performance in a long time. They'll open up the playbook as the year goes on.

They had some great throws on play action. Mac completed 74% of his passes. Where they messed up was putting the ball in Harris hands when he was exhausted. Mac was putting the game on his shoulders, the coaches could have leaned on him for that go ahead TD I felt. But I also understand trying to take some pressure off the rookie.

It's one game, it was sloppy, but Mac was outstanding. I would be very surprised if this was a bad season and we didn't make the playoffs. BB and staff always take time to open up the playbook and really see what they have in a team

Just wait, it's game 1 with a rookie QB. The team is going to get much better fast. Once Mac has a season of defensive looks under his belt, teams better watch out if they make the playoffs

I hear you, but it isn’t about today’s game. It’s that neither player has shown to be elite in any way…a good, above average all-around tight end, and an intriguing move tight end with good open field ability. I like them both and positions of need. But these guys are not close to all-pro game changers despite being paid like it.

You did see that Miami averaged 3.2 yards a carry right? Take away the one long (15yds!) carry and it was more like 2.7.

The play that bugged me was the second down run on the last Dolphins drive. They stopped Brown momentarily for what looked like only a 1 yard gain but he fought for another 3 yards. He and the Dolphins OL looked like they wanted it more than the Pats front 7 on that play. 3rd and 4 vs. 3rd and 1 is huge difference. On 3rd and 4, Tua is probably forced to throw and I would have liked the Pats chances in that scenario.

And don’t get me started in Mills vs. Parker on 1st and 15…..

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back