PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post-Game Thread: Week 1 - Pats lose to Dolphins 17-16

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

They had some great throws on play action. Mac completed 74% of his passes. Where they messed up was putting the ball in Harris hands when he was exhausted. Mac was putting the game on his shoulders, the coaches could have leaned on him for that go ahead TD I felt. But I also understand trying to take some pressure off the rookie.

It's one game, it was sloppy, but Mac was outstanding. I would be very surprised if this was a bad season and we didn't make the playoffs. BB and staff always take time to open up the playbook and really see what they have in a team
If they kept the ball in Macs hands in the red zone I am confident that he would he thrown for the go-ahead TD.

Harris didn’t fumble QB he was tired. He fumbled because he failed to recognize that the only thing that be could do in that scenario was turn the ball over and he prioritized fighting for extra yards over ball security. He left the ball exposed when they were already well into FG range….just like Cam last year in Buffalo. He should gave been carrying that thing like Dan Connolly during his famous kickoff return versus Green Bay.

7 hits a game too many. Over a 17 game season it's playing with fire subjecting him to possibly 119 hits from angry defensive players trying to end him.
Why you so concerned? He can take a hit.

pillsbury-tickle.gif

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210912-234036_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210912-234036_Chrome.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 4
Everyone trying to make deeply serious observations about the long term, based upon week one, should realize the following:

The Houston Texans stand alone at the top of the AFCS.
Every team in NFCN lost. Detroit is on top. Lmao

They had some great throws on play action. Mac completed 74% of his passes. Where they messed up was putting the ball in Harris hands when he was
Team had 1st & 10 at MIA 14, 26, and 21. All three ended in FGs. That's not cutting it in today's NFL.

That's where they messed up. Where were our TEs in the red zone?

Team had 1st & 10 at MIA 14, 26, and 21. All three ended in FGs. That's not cutting it in today's NFL.

Rookie QB, give him a few weeks. Also, they tried to protect him in the redzone and call more running plays.

On a separate note - the Mac post game video is pretty priceless - guy wants to win and knows what to say..

Comments:

1.) A heart breaking loss...and this game was crucial too. We have @NYJ, NOS, and you know who the next 3 weeks. All of sudden the NOS game looks like a tough one. Must win in the Meadowlands next week, IMO.

2.) Pay back should be sweet down in Miami later when we need a reprieve from running the hill in cold weather....

3.) Parker and Waddle were killing us all day with those slant routes and out running our coverage to the sideline. Looks like we adjusted to Waddle's speed by shifting into a zone...then Parker used his big body to make plays and some incredible catches. Credit to Tagovailoa for getting the ball out super fast...the ball was traveling 15-20 feet in less than two steps, IMO. Also, credit to Tagovailoa's runs...RPO is here to stay and its hard to defend. I think our D did well overall outside those two drives. Having Gilmore back shutting down one h

4.) Offensively, it was sloppy....penalties and two fumbles from RB's trying too hard. Jonnu and Meyers both almost had fumbles/bounced-off-finger interceptions too. Got to clean that up.

5.) The way we moved the ball when we weren't screwing up was refreshing to see...just need to clean it up and I think we start rolling....

We always play poorly at Miami. It's not a big surprise that we lost. Rather it was the way it happened. It felt like Mac Jones was making a drive for a comeback score, but then Damien Harries fumbles inside the 10 yard line. Big OOPSIE!

Growing Pains. Don't expect Mac Jones to be a stud straight away. Believe it or not he's still a rookie. There's still a part of me that wonders do we win this game if Cam Newton starts. But we cut ties, possibly to take away pressure from results like today, so obviously we are taking chances with the youngster, and let what happens, happen.

What I found so dismaying in this loss was that the Patriots WRs could not get open. Time and again Mac made a perfect pass, but it was knocked away because the the WR could not get separation. It is disgraceful that the Patriots spent so much money on upgrading the team, but could not find a true number one WR. The defense was magnificent, but the anemic offense let them down.
I think some of that was on Mac. He'll gain some confidence, throw harder and earlier. Those will get completed.

Overall it was about what I expected.... Minus the fumbles, penalties and OL play. Though that was partly due to in game injuries. This team would just look so much better with a Hopkins or Mike Evans. Some kind of true #1 option that forces the D to be less aggressive and opens space for other guys. This small ball dink and dunk approach can only take you so far offensively (unless you have Brady) and we saw that today. Having a deeper option like Agholor helps, but it isn't enough. We really need him to be that #2 outside option. This would free up Meyers more inside and suddenly everything would slot into place nicely.

On defense we need Gilmore. Without him we need to play more passive. We can still slow teams down by playing back, but we lose our chance for impact plays when we do that. This team is well built but lacks that one top end piece on both sides of the ball. Gilmore will solve one side. We dont have a solution for the other.

Last edited:
When was Harris hit in the head with his helmet off? Think he could have gotten a slight concussion from that?

Overall it was about what I expected.... Minus the fumbles, penalties and OL play. Though that was partly die to in game injuries. This team would just look so much better with a Hopkins or Mike Evans. Some kind of true #1 option that forces the D to less aggressive and opens space for other guys. This small ball dink and dunk approach can only take you so far offensively and we saw that today. Having a deeper option like Agholor helps, but it isn't enough. We really need him to ne that #2 outside option. This would free up Meyers more inside and suddenly everything would slot into place nicely.

On defense we need Gilmore. Without him we need to play more passive. We can still slow teams down bit we loae our chance for impact plays when we do that. This team is well built but lacks that one top end piece on both sides of the ball. Gilmore will solve one side. We dont have a solution for the other.
All due respect dude, almost all your pregame takes were dead wrong. You grossly underestimated the MIA defense and offense and you grossly overestimated our O and D. According to you, this was going to be a blow-out.

I said let's not underestimate Flores. He would prepare Tua for what Bill cooked up.

OC playing checkers while DCs are playing chess. We have 2 TEs but no 12 personnel plays to mess with defenses in the red zone.
Red zone ineptitude is something to closely watch this season.

Because he's rookie in his first start ever against a defense that sends a lot of pressure. Better to get him out alive in his first game

Because he's rookie in his first start ever against a defense that sends a lot of pressure. Better to get him out alive in his first game
Huh? Then why play him? That's dumb (not you). He was getting the ball out fast. You've got two monster TEs. He throws 1 TD instead of a FG, game over. Uggg

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
Back