PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Thread- Vikings beat the Pats

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would definitely put significant blame on coaching especially special teams for not getting them ready for this game . We can't lose 14 points through special teams and average punt around 30 yards inside a dome. Unacceptable .

Yep; Palardy sucks, and he couldn’t even handle kick-off duties?!?
**** that dude… Next!

All that typing, and you & others still fail to see the (or at least my) main argument: Zappy NEVER should’ve been removed from the starting gig in the first place.

You know far too much about football to be posting something like this. Come on, man.

All that typing, and you & others still fail to see the (or at least my) main argument: Zappy NEVER should’ve been removed from the starting gig in the first place. No reason Whatsoever to do so; and when it did happen, in prime time when everyone ass-umed that Bill would surpass Papa Bear, the results were a predictable, unprofessional, incompetent Catastrophe… Zappy should’ve remained the starter until he sucked in a game as badly as Corky has sucked in Multiple games this & last season. Everything Corky’s done (i.e.: losing, or sucking while winning) should Never Have Happened… And please don’t insult our intelligence by claiming that Zappy couldn’t have “accomplished “ what Corky did to “win” those games vs the Jete & Indy Blood Clots… Pats won IN SPITE OF Corky, not because of him…or his choke-ass circus clown play-caller.

Captain, I respect you as a poster but, damn, you are so far off the rails on this. It's like religion or politics or whatever, where you've chosen a side and get tribal to the point of demonizing a player on YOUR OWN TEAM! Stop with the "Corky" crap already. Whatever faults you want to exaggerate in the kid, he remains a hard worker who showed ample promise his rookie season while forced to navigate some pretty stiff challenges this year. To his credit he hung tough while showing signs of coming through the other end of it. If you want to continue down this road of trashing the guy vs. wishing him success, you're in for a pretty miserable ride that could last a very long time. Whatever any of us think about who the quarterback should be is moot, regardless. You either root for the team to win with whoever is playing or you find another team. Just realize it could be a helluva lot worse -- ask a Jete fan about one Punky McMilfson.

Last edited:
I get the feeling the real reason people want to see Zappe play is because he’s easier to like than Mac. That’s a fair point. I don’t care for Mac being like McEnroe or acting like Ben did with injuries. But Cam Newton was easy to like too and I think we all had enough of him a couple seasons ago.

Likeability by fans isn’t really a good reason to bench an established starter mid season. Especially since Zappe looked like he didn’t belong in the league in the second half of the Bears game.

Maybe he’ll get another shot at the job this summer - or maybe not. We’ll see

Last edited:
I get the feeling the real reason people want to see Zappe play is because he’s easier to like than Mac. That’s a fair point. I don’t care for Mac being like McEnroe or acting like Ben did with injuries. But Cam Newton was easy to like too and I think we all had enough of him a couple seasons ago.

Likeability by fans isn’t really a good reason to bench an established starter mid season. Especially since Zappe looked like he didn’t belong in the league in the second half of the Bears game.

And if he does, people shouldn't root against Zappe either for the sake of Mac. At the end of the day, we need the team to win and as long as the guy under center is playing well, that's about any of us can hope for.

Offense played well which was good to see. Hope to see that moving forward, but I have no clue what happened to the defense. BBs team usually take away the other teams best weapon. I'll just toss this up as a Jefferson takeover game

I get the feeling the real reason people want to see Zappe play is because he’s easier to like than Mac. That’s a fair point. I don’t care for Mac being like McEnroe or acting like Ben did with injuries.

Cam Newton was easy to like too and I think we all had enough of him a couple seasons ago. Likeability by fans isn’t really a good reason to bench an established starter mid season. Especially since Zappe looked like he didn’t belong in the league in the second half of the Bears game.

I personally find Mac likable. He seems a genuine, team-oriented kid who earnestly tries to say and do the right things. Certainly not an obnoxiously entitled prima donna like Zach Wilson who craps on teammates while expecting the world to fall at his feet. I also like what little I've heard/seen of Zappe, as much as I doubt his being NFL starter material. He remains pretty much a blank slate.

The Mac-McEnroe "matter" seems greatly exaggerated to me in terms of being problematic. So he throws a wobbly now and then like a million other players. At least he cares enough to actually GET wound up, unlike some of his peers. I haven't heard of his alleged volatility being an issue with the team or affecting his play any. It probably is something he'll grow out of or at least get a handle on.

I haven't read any of these pages...needed a break after the game. I'm sure this is probably not a popular theme right now but I think Mac played very good. I see a lot of improvement from previous games this year. IMO we will win a lot of games if he and the team continue to play the same way.
MIN was the #31 pass D at game time (now #32). We have games against the #13, 20(×2), 22, 23 & 24 pass defenses left. So there's a chance he continues to play the same. Unfortunately, those same teams are #2, 3(×2), 4, 9 & 16 in passing offenses (Pats are #20).

These remaining games have always been about our D being able to stop these explosive offenses for me. After watching last night's game, I'm more concerned with our secondary being able to keep up with Diggs, Gabriel, McKenzie, Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Hopkins, Adams, Hill & Waddle. Facing 4 QBs with better QB ratings than Cousins.

Last edited:
I haven't read any of these pages...needed a break after the game. I'm sure this is probably not a popular theme right now but I think Mac played very good. I see a lot of improvement from previous games this year. IMO we will win a lot of games if he and the team continue to play the same way.
They played maybe the worst pass defense in the league. Mac will put us in the NFL purgatory of .500 teams. You can win games with him but he will never put us over the hump.

I fully expect Mac and the offense to revert to having trouble to score 10 points when we will faced a better defense that this because Minnesota defense stinks.

Where was Mac and the offense in the 4th when the game was on the line? Good QB find a way to make plays to win the game.

It’s trouble some when you realize that Zack Wilson who is maybe the worst QB in the league has more 4th quarter TD winning drive than Mac.

Totally fair post up until the claim of Mac being an established starter and Zappe looking "like he didn't belong in the league" against Chicago.

I don't think any player in Mac's position can be considered an established starter, although that is heavily contingent on how one perceives the phrase "established starter" and how one perceives Mac's situation, so I'm not sure it's worth squabbling over. No biggie.

Your bias against Zappe bugs me more, and is obvious as indicated by your constant hyperbole when discussing his second half against Chicago. I'd have a lot more patience for your takes on this QB subject if you demonstrated some self-awareness of your own apparent anti-Zappe bias and dropped the incessant, over-the-top, low-rent potshots at him.

I'm not sure I actually liked Cam that much. I found him amusing; I had a strange, difficult to describe affection for his goofiness, but I didn't find him particularly likable beyond that.

I will admit I find Zappe really likable. Kid oozes mental toughness, resolve, character, maturity, self-assuredness. He's unassuming, soft-spoken, but direct and straightforward. I find his demeanor and personality - on and off the field - to be compelling in a way that's difficult to describe.

And I think it's worth noting that I had zero, nil, nada connection to this Zappe guy before we drafted him. Didn't love the selection at the time, didn't make a ton of sense with Mac on the roster, wasn't struck by anything I saw from his college highlights when I watched them. Some of his preseason stuff looked alright but at other times I thought he looked overwhelmed, nervous, out of his depth.

I had no idea what to expect when he came in against Green Bay. At first I thought he looked nervous, but by the second or third drive, and ultimately by the end of the game, there was something about him that had captured me; something difficult to articulate, like I said above, but palpable.

I think this underlying bias has probably crept into my analysis when looking at the QBs to some extent, although I've tried to remain as fair as possible and evaluate what I see on the field. I will say Mac played arguably the best game of his career against Minnesota. Whether or not he can sustain and build on that, we will see.

To touch on Ian's (and others') thoughts, I hope we'll get a truly open, head-to-head QB competition next summer. Zappe certainly earned every right to that opportunity with how he performed earlier this season (as a rookie with very few first team reps). If Zappe does earn the starting role next season, I want it to be because he demonstrated consistently high-level QB play, not because Mac is struggling.

What is fascinating is that Mac and Zappe are fundamentally different players in many respects, so we could have a situation where both perform at a high-level during this hypothetical QB competition next summer and force BB to make a really tough decision, weighing their strengths/weaknesses, personal development/growth, how they jive with the rest of the offensive roster, etc.

Regardless of how the situation shakes out in New England, and whether or not Zappe ends up starting for the Pats at some point in the future, I can say the guy has won over a big fan in me and I'll be rooting for him to start and have success in the NFL. I certainly hope it's with the Pats because it'd be bittersweet to see him playing elsewhere, but that outcome likely means Mac is doing good stuff, so it's give-take, I guess.

All of this said, now watch them go and acquire Jimmy G this offseason and roll with him, lol. Funnily enough, and perhaps fittingly, Jimmy strikes me as a blend between Mac's stature and Zappe's play-style. (I don't actually think this scenario is likely for salary cap reasons. I'm sure BB would rather have Mac or Zappe starting on a rookie contract. But, we'll see ... stranger things and all that).

Last edited:

Then lawrence lance wilson mac and fields should already be released because they had several games where they showed they don’t belong in this League
And they are all First rd picks

Hill & Waddle.

Did you not watch week 1? Outside of 1 busted play they kept Hill & Waddle in check.

Also Jefferson if it wasn't for Pierre Strong would have been held to 3 targets 2 rec 8 yards in the 2nd half, so they adjusted. In fact his biggest catches the coverage was good he just has glue hands. Most other times McCourty's hit would have dislodged the ball enough for it to come loose and hit the ground. Jefferson big catch in the 1st Jones came within a inch of deflecting it and Thielen's TD Mills might have actually got slight finger tip on it. 2 other big plays the vikings had came because defenders slipped. Dugger slipped on the Hockenson TD and Bryant slipped on a 3rd down allowing his guy to get free. So there is some context. Then there was the whole one-sided ref show that didn't help matters. DL I counted about at least 5 holds where the OL just yanked them back and not like those were the ticky tack a little bit of a jersey pull kind I literally saw the Vikings C grab Eukele's jersey and pull him down. Then I saw Judon multipe times have full arm across his throat/chest pulling him back.

Take out that gifted drive by Pierre Strong and the vikings would had about 250 yards passing. Keep in mind this was also on 3 days rest so not a lot of prep time and on the road. I think that game would have played out a bit differently if the defense had 2-3 more days of prep time.

Thinking back on it, the game did have a very similar feel to the Eagles Super Bowl (LII). Given the stadium, that's a bit fitting, perhaps.

Like all NFL teams, this one is not complete. It has weaknesses. This isn't a mystery. The team is talented all over the field EXCEPT for OL and LB.

Guess what? They are going to focus on bringing in OL and LBs this year.
Let's hope they get it all. Hopefully they have someone to replace McCourty too. And I'm still not sure about QB with Mac or Zap.

Let's hope they get it all. Hopefully they have someone to replace McCourty too. And I'm still not sure about QB with Mac or Zap.
I have a simple solution to Mac, Zappe or someone else. I’ll take whoever plays the best. I think that’s Mac but if it’s Zappe, happy to see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes