PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Post Game Thread - Seattle beats the Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was the right playcall at the end. A pass likely would have failed with our options and our running backs WOULD have been stuffed no doubt about it. Had to keep it in Cams hands.
agree. Only quibble is they should have spread out the OL , TE's and receivers.

Regarding the final play, I think running it was fine. Only, should have perhaps mixed it up a bit. Even without hindsight it's not impossible to predict that the Seahawks would crash to their right (or the left side of the offense) after both of Cam's rushing TDs came off the left. As Cam noted in the post-game, outside the RT it was wide open.
View attachment 28648

I honestly thought this play call was one of the WORST inMcD history. Primarily because EVERYONE knew it was going to be a run by Newton.....and you run it out of SHOTGUN!?! You are on the one....a QB sneak or jump over top...that I get....but you put him 6 yards BACK in SG formation?! Putrid call by McD....

Cam played awesome and is a warrior....TONS of respect for him. Can’t question his toughness, grit and competitive fire ever again. Jules is same way and is obviously one of greatest Patriots of all time and if he doesn’t get in HOF the place should close!.... with that having been said...he’s banged up ...took ridiculous hits last night....how much more can he take...and if he goes down ...there goes offense.

Harry showed promise in this game...but like so many said goes down so easy for a big guy....hard to figure that out but he should continue to progress.

Folk?....Folk off....get rid of him! Would rather take chances with rook or bring in someone else....guy is awful.

D overall played horrible ....poor tackling, poor basic fundamentals especially against run. Wilson threw lights out in this game and u could have put the greatest corners in that game in their prime and they couldn’t have defended better. Wino is awesome....love his fire...this group needs to be able to stop run and tackle or will be long season....hope Uche can come back and contribute soon!

GO PATS!

This is the most upbeat I've felt after a loss in a long time (mind you I don't dwell on them like I used too)

I loved how the team fought back and almost pulled it off. There was lots of improvement from the Dolphins game and it's only going to get better from here.

I'm really excited to see how the season unfolds. I've always felt like it was a given that you could pencil the team in for at least a first round bye during the Belichick/Brady era.

I'm really excited to see how the season unfolds. I've always felt like it was a given that you could pencil the team in for at least a first round bye during the Belichick/Brady era.

I agree. It is really relaxing not to worry about HFA or BYEs anymore every time in a close game. If we can continue on this trend there is a solid chance we end up in the playoffs and that in itself would be a pretty nice success story.

It might sound weird to say this about a player in his fourth year but I expect him to grow a lot through the season just due to actual game reps.

I am not sure who you are referring to. Bentley is in his 3rd year and has had injury issues in his first two years which has impacted his playing time. Calhoun is in his 5th year.

Oh he totally does. But the discussion in this thread has more to do with him going down right at contact all game when that should be something his skill set prevents. Not that he’s bad or costing anyone things. Harry realistically shouldn’t be judged off last season. He was a rookie and injured.

Comparisons to guys line DK Metcalf are in poor taste. DK is a physical freak and he had some serious question marks (fast as **** but his come drills were worse than Brady’s) the fact that he worked out was blind luck. Multiple WR’s were taken away was of him. Isabella and Arcega-Whiteside who have done nothing since being drafted. Hardman who did ball out but is on a stacked offense where he’s like the third best WR and 4th best passing target so he doesn’t get premium coverage. Then I guess AJ Brown and Dee o Samuel have done well. Marquis Brown who was the only guy selected before Harry has largely underwhelmed outside like 3 games.

It’s kind of a crapshoot and Harry was the only one missing time. He’s shown some development this year. But it’s noticeable that he’s not really showing what was supposed to be his skill set

Harry could catch 5 TDs in one game and posters would find a way to criticize him.

I am not sure who you are referring to. Bentley is in his 3rd year and has had injury issues in his first two years which has impacted his playing time. Calhoun is in his 5th year.

My mistake. I somehow conflated HT getting injured in 2017 with the same injury that Bentley had in 2018 and assumed he was drafted in 2017.

I mean the slowdown was pretty subtle, Gilmore was so tight in coverage that if there would have been any substantial adjustment by Metcalf it would have most probably ended up being DPI with Gilmore running straight into him.

To me this is like 85% Wilson and then Metcalf just running yet another deep route and waiting for the ball to drop right into him in stride.

Either way after this game nobody should take Dorsett's words about Wilson's deep ball and being at the right place as a slight against Brady. It is just a fact.

I agree with almost all of this except for the fact that any WR playing with a QB is going to say good things about that QB relative to everyone else. Can't think of an example otherwise.

Overall nice performance for a road game I never believed we could win.

So, I listened to the morning NFL shows and they are mentioning all the players who were key last night.

Heard about Metcalf, Cam Newton, Moore, Russell Wilson, even Carson, Harry and Jamal Adams.

But... no mention of the WR with 179 yards on the day.

I agree. It is really relaxing not to worry about HFA or BYEs anymore every time in a close game. If we can continue on this trend there is a solid chance we end up in the playoffs and that in itself would be a pretty nice success story.
I would say I’m still definitely worried about seeding. I don’t think we’ll get the bye, but seeding certainly matters. That’s my feeling about tonight- a game that’s easy to come away from feeling alright, but probably will make me angry in a couple months when we’re fighting for playoff seeding.
I would prefer not to have a brutal path in the playoffs.

I would say I’m still definitely worried about seeding. I don’t think we’ll get the bye, but seeding certainly matters. That’s my feeling about tonight- a game that’s easy to come away from feeling alright, but probably will make me angry in a couple months when we’re fighting for playoff seeding.
I would prefer not to have a brutal path in the playoffs.

It was a NFC game. We were not going to be 16-0, so losing to an NFC team is better than losing to an AFC team. In 2 weeks we play against the Chiefs and that game is key for seeding. I think there is only 1 bye team in the playoff format this year, and with no fans, HFA is not as important. Beating the Bills will be important.

It was a NFC game. We were not going to be 16-0, so losing to an NFC team is better than losing to an AFC team. In 2 weeks we play against the Chiefs and that game is key for seeding. I think there is only 1 bye team in the playoff format this year, and with no fans, HFA is not as important. Beating the Bills will be important.

I don't think NE is ever going to compete this year with Baltimore and KC for seeding, but it would be nice to beat them at Arrowhead. The Chiefs should have lost to LAC yesterday and looked kinda vulnerable...

Does seeding matter that much at this point? HFA is a kind of a wash...maybe besides the travel aspect.

I don't think NE is ever going to compete this year with Baltimore and KC for seeding, but it would be nice to beat them at Arrowhead. The Chiefs should have lost to LAC yesterday and looked kinda vulnerable...
I agree. The Chiefs look shaky. I think they are feeling the pressure of being the defending champs. They play the Ravens next in Baltimore. The Ravens are playing lights out. Should be a great game.

Losing sucks, but Seattle is a top echelon team. The Patriots are not that far off. I feel good about the prospects for this season as a whole, this loss not withstanding.

Does seeding matter that much at this point? HFA is a kind of a wash...maybe besides the travel aspect.

There may be fans for the playoffs we don't know, but the second bye is gone, so I take your point. Seeding is going to mean less this year than ever before.

Still, a stadium that is 20% full is not going to be a loud stadium.

If the lead blocker didnt get pushed back getting in Cam’s way it was a 50/50 td on the last play. Sure there were a hundred different plays they could of called but it was the right one. Stop complaining about running it out of shotgun. Your gonna see a lot more of it as the season goes on because it is the bread and butter of Cams rushing ability. Put the ball in your best players hands and ride with it.

So far it seems we have struck gold with our new QB. Excited for next week and the one after that.

Cam should have been under center on that final play and he should have just extended his arms over the goal line to break the plane. With his size, not even Seattle would have been able to stop him.
H6N3WG7T5I3E3JNTA5PDFQC5MM.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots