PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Thread- Saints beat the Pats

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

I said it like a billion times during the offseason on here and discord but we see this scenario play out with teams all the time where they add a ton of big names in Free Agency and then fail to deliver. It takes time for a team to gel, it takes time for new players to grasp the system, and all of that is without playing with a rookie QB.

Fix the OL and we actually have a shot at a wildcard, I think. Until we fix the OL this team isn't going anywhere.

All the temper tantrums and anger about this are so unnecessary. We're in the rebuilding phase - just hopefully close to the end.

I agree with most of your post, except I’ve heard this stat a couple of time: The biggest free agent spenders have won an overage of 5 more games the following year not sure of the time frame). Hopefully something clicks with this group and soon.

Yeah, there is a chance over time that these new free agents adapt to the system and become productive. For every Randy Moss who came in and was a superstar right off the bat, you have the Danny Amedolas who people wanted to run out of town his first year here and then turned into a productive player.

I hope guys like Jonnu Smith or Hunter Henry don‘t take a year to become productive if ever, but it is too soon to give up on these guys after three games.
DA played with a torn groin his 1st year so the fans calling for his head in 2013 were idiots. He had a typical year iirc as well

In the financial world, someone who signed Jonnu Smith to a 12.5M aav, which is near top market, would be fired without even waiting for results. Jonnu Smith is a 400-500 yard receiver with subpar blocking skills. We’re merely seeing reality play out in contrast to illogical hype.
Sure if they are day traders or FF geeks.

The O Line has been absolutely horrible in all 3 games.

Something needs to change, and quick.

One should keep in mind regarding the FAs is Stephon Gilmore was a disaster the first month of the season. The blown coverage vs. the Chiefs, the illegal hands to the face penalties vs. the Panthers etc.

Judon has looked the part as an elite EDGE. Mills has played well the first 3 games. Godchaux came alive yesterday. Bourne has been a playmaker IMO.

The team can’t get out of the TE contracts for awhile. I agree with @RobertWeathers that they should get a few more games but it doesn’t look good right now.

Last edited:
The O Line has been absolutely horrible in all 3 games.

Something needs to change, and quick.
At this point if Brown is not playing against Tampa, we may need to start Karras at LG and play Onwenu a RT. We have to try something because what we are doing now is not working

Felger and Mazz show is going to be even more unlistenable than it usually is today.

I think a lot of people need to calm down. We have a rookie QB. I know it's been a very long time since the Patriots have had a rookie QB as the full time starter, but it's not a breeze. Just look around the league right now. They're all stinking. And yes, I know we're the Patriots and people think we should be better, but unfortunately, we aren't those same Patriots anymore, so it's going to take some time to get better. I'm as guilty as everyone else hoping that this could be a playoff team this year, and they still might be, but there's going to be growing pains like this.

I think a lot of people need to calm down. We have a rookie QB. I know it's been a very long time since the Patriots have had a rookie QB as the full time starter, but it's not a breeze. Just look around the league right now. They're all stinking. And yes, I know we're the Patriots and people think we should be better, but unfortunately, we aren't those same Patriots anymore, so it's going to take some time to get better. I'm as guilty as everyone else hoping that this could be a playoff team this year, and they still might be, but there's going to be growing pains like this.
I don't remember seeing a patriots team be all around this bad in the Brady era...maybe in 2009

But, this team is really bad in all phases of the game....at least so far.

They seemed totally unprepared. The coaching staff has to take responsibility for that.

Looks like trading Sony may come back to haunt them if White is done for the year. At least he landed in a good playoff caliber team.

Taylor and Bolden will have to pick up the slack. Time to activate RS, who can play when he holds onto the ball, and obtain a new back.

I don't remember seeing a patriots team be all around this bad in the Brady era...maybe in 2009

I don't think the defense has played badly at all. They gave up 17 to Miami, 6 to NYJ, and really only 21 to the Saints (7 of which was set up by a pick & return deep into Pats territory). They just couldn't make a play to get us the ball back when we really needed it in the 2 losses. They aren't being helped out by the offense at all.

The offense is pretty brutal to watch, I'll give you that. We just have to hope things improve as Mac develops.

In 2014 they lost to the Phins, were steamrolled by KC, beat a horrible Raiders team and a barely mediocre Vikings team. The KC game makes yesterday’s game look fantastic.

Then they went on a roll. Not saying that will happen this year, but they will improve a lot as the season progresses.

Any chance of getting Hicks from the Bears?
We could plug him in at nose tackle and that would be a boost to the whole D.
If we can get Gilmore to play at this point we should be willing to pay him that has a huge ripple effect.

Those 2 moves would transform the D and just for fun how about Collins back?
I have no doubt Mayo would get the most out of him.

Now fixing the offense, is it really that simple to get Brown back to bolster the line?
Sure that can help but this team has deeper rooted issues on offense.
We've given Agholar a ton of money he's done next to nothing.
We've given Henry a ton of money and he runs like Gronk when he's running on one leg.
We have Jonnu Smith in there who I believe is playing with alot of pain which would explain some of those drops.
Jonnu Smith hasn't been as explosive as we saw in preseason. He is definitely playing wounded.
Harry coming back?
Can he get open catch the ball?
Well I think Harry helps in the RedZone area for sure.
However we've spent all this money and our offense looks slow and easy to defend.
On the rare occasion Agholar and or bourne get open deep.
Mac has no time to step into his throw.
This offense would look so much better with a receiver like Mcclauren or Samuel but I digress.
We need explosion at the received position and I'm talking about guys who can get separation at the line.
Stop me if you've heard this one.
Mac won't look like Alabama Mac til he has WRS who can make a difference.
Bourne is the closest we have to a NFL calibur WR.
This is going to take some careful planning to fix.
Agholar looks way less explosive than last season, maybe he's overthinking or maybe he's hurt or losing a step.

However we are setting Mac up for mediocrity when you look at the receivers in that room.
One thing should be painfully obvious for him this isn't Alabama.

I hope and pray that the Patriots can get out of some of these terrible contracts.

Build this team the right way.

I don't think the defense has played badly at all. They gave up 17 to Miami, 6 to NYJ, and really only 21 to the Saints (7 of which was set up by a pick & return deep into Pats territory). They just couldn't make a play to get us the ball back when we really needed it in the 2 losses. They aren't being helped out by the offense at all.

The offense is pretty brutal to watch, I'll give you that. We just have to hope things improve as Mac develops.
None of those 3 teams had a real offense. It’s like 2019. Looked great against bad offenses but when they started to play good teams the D didn’t looked so great.

I think next week will tell us more about what our D can really do.

My point exactly. Thank you.

Way too early to start saying this player was a bad signing etc
I don't think the offense is going to be an issue moving forward.

And I'm confident the D improves enough.

Will it be enough to win a SB? I'm going to say yes. But my faith is being tested.

Different circumstances. But I'll never forget everyone writing NE off after that 2014 Monday Night Disaster. They turned a switch and ended up losing one legit game in like 14 months after that.

I don't think the offense is going to be an issue moving forward.

And I'm confident the D improves enough.

Will it be enough to win a SB? I'm going to say yes. But my faith is being tested.

Different circumstances. But I'll never forget everyone writing NE off after that 2014 Monday Night Disaster. They turned a switch and ended up losing one legit game in like 14 months after that.
Most on this board did as well.

Most on this board did as well.
Just amazing how everything seemed to change immediately.

The 10 year drought ended.

3 SB wins in 4 tries

Another title game appearance.

A completely different Tom Brady from that point on. 3 SB MVP's and a league MVP since. Countless postseason wins when trailing.

Just amazing how everything seemed to change immediately.

The 10 year drought ended.

3 SB wins in 4 tries

Another title game appearance.

A completely different Tom Brady from that point on. 3 SB MVP's and a league MVP since. Countless postseason wins when trailing.
The good ole days.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back