PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Thread- Saints beat the Pats

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

Thats FA in today's NFL. Teams have the opportunity to rebuild in 1-2 years and not 5-7 years. Are you faulting BB for taking advantage of a system already in place?

Taking advantage? What are saying here? Kraft claimed it was a brilliant move because player values were depressed this offseason, so having a crap ton of money to throw at mid to mid-upper free agents was somehow a good thing. They didn’t get anything close to good value. It’s always been spin, bought by this board. The money was spent on a bunch of overvalued FAs rather than paying their own (Brady, Gronkowski, Thuney, Gilmore). It all comes back to that, despite fake arguments claiming otherwise.

Damn listening to Andrews talk about White, he didn't say anything in detail, but he was about to cry. Sounds like White may be done. That blows.

Taking advantage? What are saying here? Kraft claimed it was a brilliant move because player values were depressed this offseason, so having a crap ton of money to throw at mid to mid-upper free agents was somehow a good thing. They didn’t get anything close to good value. It’s always been spin, bought by this board. The money was spent on a bunch of overvalued FAs rather than paying their own (Brady, Gronkowski, Thuney, Gilmore). It all comes back to that, despite fake arguments claiming otherwise.
Way too early to say they were overvalued. C'mon now...

How has Thuney performed for the Queefs so far? Good? Bad?

It isn’t. Right now the question is if a guy like Jonnu Smith is even an asset. We already know he isn’t Kelce/Kittle, despite a similar salary. Never even in question.
Not sure…but people are quick to point out all the new, shiny players the Patriots brought in while ignoring they let an all-pro walk in the process.

Need to get Mac a true #1 WR. Need to be going for Adams, Godwin, Robinson or M.Williams in FA next year

Also hopefully McDaniels goes. Funny how when he finally started calling stuff down the field the offense moved then for some reason he defaults to his hand it off in the red zone stuff. I get it if Harris is in there but Bolden should not be in there to run it in the red zone, should only be in there to pickup any rushers
So that he can overthrow them?

It isn’t. Right now the question is if a guy like Jonnu Smith is even an asset. We already know he isn’t Kelce/Kittle, despite a similar salary. Never even in question.

Not sure…but people are quick to point out all the new, shiny players the Patriots brought in while ignoring they let an all-pro walk in the process.
I don't agree with how early you evaluate assets.

In the financial world if you buy into a fund, you give it time to perform. You know this.

Same principal here.

Regarding Jonnu. Horrible game today no other way to slice it. Maybe he’s feeling the pressure of trying to live up to that contract?

So far the most frustrating part for me is Tennessee gave us the blueprint on how to use him in an offense and through 3 games were not seeing anything close. The Titans would use him both in line and split out, on sweeps, delayed screens, seam routes you name it. If teams are going to send the house have him block for a second before releasing into the flat for a dump off screen. He has the speed to get some good YAC. If we’re spending 50 mil day 1 I’d like to think that we had a pretty good idea on how he would be used and so far (and yes it’s still early) results aren’t too promising. Hopefully for his sake and ours better days are ahead.

I don't agree with how early you evaluate assets.

In the financial world if you buy into a fund, you give it time to perform. You know this.

Same principal here.

In the financial world, someone who signed Jonnu Smith to a 12.5M aav, which is near top market, would be fired without even waiting for results. Jonnu Smith is a 400-500 yard receiver with subpar blocking skills. We’re merely seeing reality play out in contrast to illogical hype.

I think belichick has some explaining to do. Huge salary for what? Goat coach? Really? Doesn't coaching include evaluating talent and coaching it up?

If he had retired as brady left he's the goat coach. Big mistake not leaving. He believed his own press clippings i guess. Almost Shakespearean.

I mean, how much $$ did you expect them to dedicate to the OG position?

I mean, how much $$ did you expect them to dedicate to the OG position?

It’s better to pay top dollar to guys that are top of their position than pay top dollar to guys who aren’t even close. I mean, you’re asking about paying two OGs, but they just (over)paid two TEs.

It’s better to pay top dollar to guys that are top of their position than pay top dollar to guys who aren’t even close. I mean, you’re asking about paying two OGs, but they just (over)paid two TEs.
That’s obviously true, but after they signed Mason to a huge deal the writing was on the wall. It can be simultaneously true that letting Thuney walk was a good decision while overpaying Smith/Henry was not (at least to date).

The real underperforming unit is the running game. They really should be carrying the offense. Lack of production in the running game is trickling down to the line having to pass protect and jones having to throw.

That’s obviously true, but after they signed Mason to a huge deal the writing was on the wall. It can be simultaneously true that letting Thuney walk was a good decision while overpaying Smith/Henry was not (at least to date).

And I agree with that. I think after seeing the amount they paid for Mankins, paying that much for a guard seemed to steep. I think walking away there is fine. But, then they turn around and give two much worse overpays. At least with Thuney, you’d be paying top dollar for a top player. That’s my main point.

Yeah, there is a chance over time that these new free agents adapt to the system and become productive. For every Randy Moss who came in and was a superstar right off the bat, you have the Danny Amedolas who people wanted to run out of town his first year here and then turned into a productive player.

I hope guys like Jonnu Smith or Hunter Henry don‘t take a year to become productive if ever, but it is too soon to give up on these guys after three games.

Regarding Jonnu. Horrible game today no other way to slice it. Maybe he’s feeling the pressure of trying to live up to that contract?

So far the most frustrating part for me is Tennessee gave us the blueprint on how to use him in an offense and through 3 games were not seeing anything close. The Titans would use him both in line and split out, on sweeps, delayed screens, seam routes you name it. If teams are going to send the house have him block for a second before releasing into the flat for a dump off screen. He has the speed to get some good YAC. If we’re spending 50 mil day 1 I’d like to think that we had a pretty good idea on how he would be used and so far (and yes it’s still early) results aren’t too promising. Hopefully for his sake and ours better days are ahead.

Great post but here's the thing. It doesn't matter what plays Jonnu is good at. We have an oc who is going spread-wide shotgun NO MATTER WHAT. I doubt mcd spent any time looking at Jonnu's best 10 plays on the Titans and made sure they're in the core Pats playsheet. This is an oc who week1, middle of the 3rd quarter, realized 'oh sh-t none of my 2 expensive TEs even have a single catch yet, let me call 5 TE plays in a row to fill the stat sheet'. This is the type of disadvantaged IQ we have running the Patriots offense and it ain't good.

Last edited:

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back