PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Thread- Saints beat the Pats

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

A voice of reason

Anyone thought all these new players with a rookie QB would fire on cylinders Day 1 was smoking crack

actually quite a number of posters who believe in all rainbows and sunshine here have stated they believed we could be a playoff team with this roster

I heard phrases like

“best o line”

“top tier RB attack”

“Best secondary”

This game was bad.. The offense was terrible... predictable and unable to move the ball when it mattered. Jonnu Smith really disappointed here. For someone who is the 5th highest paid TE, he needs to start playing like deserves it. It looked like James White might have dislocated/broke his hip, which could end his career if true.

The D mostly did their job. But then they blew it in crunch time. But even with them blowing that one series at the end, they were certainly better than the O. If Jones & Co. didn't lay an egg, this could have been a good game.

Thanks Rob for adding some positive points. I love the pass rushing duo of Judon and Uche, add in Wino and Barmore and I think we have some guys that can really get after the qb.
Was impressed with Bourne today as well!!!

yes no one believes our defense is bad. In fact it’s quite good

but in today’s nfl you need a competitive offense. Our offense struggles to move the ball, struggles to score touchdowns, and can’t ever hit on an explosive play

yes no one believes our defense is bad. In fact it’s quite good

but in today’s nfl you need a competitive offense. Our offense struggles to move the ball, struggles to score touchdowns, and can’t ever hit on an explosive play
We have a rookie qb with a lot of new pieces(2 new wideouts, 2 new tight ends), let's give them some time.

A voice of reason

Anyone thought all these new players with a rookie QB would fire on cylinders Day 1 was smoking crack
I think Mac Jones has looked the part of an NFL QB and that makes me happy no matter what the record is.

Brady and Cassel both got off to similar starts when they were first starters.

if the season ends how it looks like it will based on what we've seen this year, coupled with their performance over the last 28 games (12-16), which is no playoffs for the 2d year in a row...I really hope coach bills ego doesn't make him come back next year. Bill needs to graciously step aside (or up to a ceremonial title like team president or something) if they miss the playoffs...

The only players on offense who have enough experience and know what they're doing are Andrews, Mason, white, Meyers, and Bolden (which is why he was in). Receivers had route running errors, the oline was a turnstile, running backs have been fumbling/not picking up the blitz, and Mac is trying desperately to run this offense as a rookie.

I remember when we had trouble implementing a single new wr into the system when Tom was our qb. If there's a positive, it's that this offense has no choice but to fix mistakes and get better. Hopefully, we get Gilmore back on d. Don't know if it will be enough, but it should get better.

We have a rookie qb with a lot of new pieces(2 new wideouts, 2 new tight ends), let's give them some time.
How many games do you give before the pieces come together?

“Giving them time” is ok as long as you can expect a lot of losses along the way

Our oline is awful. Our running game today was non existent. We gifted them a TD and the ball at the 10. The awfful calls from mcdaniels in the red zone. The defense played well enough to win despite not being able to stop NO on that last drive but they had stopped them consistently before then and i think they are improving. We need trent back fast.
Yes Mcdaniels is awful well said…..and OL was pitiful today

Keeping a team that - on a day - cant run, cant pass protect, cant catch, cant execute ST and struggles stopping the run - in a game deep into 4th Q - id call that pretty good game management, borderline miracle :)

Bill doesnt need much to win games with relatively light schedule this yr . but unless this team can establish some confidence/energy/gel/ease - its not gonna be pretty. As long as every snap feels like a labour the needle will not move.

I hope extended season trials esp. on OL is done: put out the unit that can play the game. Evaluate FB/TE position. And start the **** pounding..

I hope that you are right about Mac Jones and this team and that the Patriots can turn it around. But all I have is the evidence of my eyes, and everything tells me this team is half baked and it's going to go badly. Next week is the true measuring stick. If losing this poorly to the Saints doesn't motivate this team to improve, and having Tom come back to town doesn't embolden them to action, then nothing will.
Listen, there is nothing they can do next week. The Bucs are going to steam roll this team. Go back and watch Brady’s 2016 season, that revenge season Brady was unstoppable. This is his biggest revenge since that season. The dude will have his assassin’s mindset again. Plus they will be coming off their 1st loss of the season. It’ll be a miracle if that Pats can keep this game within 14 points.

The sooner you accept 1-3 in your mindset, the more positive you can be for the rest of the year. But this team has a lot of talent, they just need to get experience together. Like I said, A LOT of new guys. I think they will be 4-5 after the first 9 games, and then let’s see where that takes us. Once they get a couple more wins under their belt, the confidence will come.

I was thinking 5 or 6 is reasonable,,,,what do you think?
I don’t know but I am concerned it is more than just the players. The coaches need to figure it out too and there are a lot of unknowns on this coaching staff. I know these OL players can play better; I don’t have the same confidence in Cole Popovich or Carmen Bricillo, for example. I have seen before a season die at the hands of an OL coavh.

Pardon me while I go see The Ref Sox try to salvage something from the weekend.

Last edited:
Who’s the starting qb for Texans week 5?

people saying the defense is good..... does a good defense allow Jameis Winston and Tua Tagavailoa to kill off games in the 4th quarter AT HOME????

actually quite a number of posters who believe in all rainbows and sunshine here have stated they believed we could be a playoff team with this roster

I heard phrases like

“best o line”

“top tier RB attack”

“Best secondary”
They can be a playoff team. They need to play better.

************ you call me negative?

Could not have caught the Saints at a better time. Many key players out. Not home for weeks due to the floods. Home game in Foxboro. And this team lays an egg. Very disappointing.

That being said if Jones actually has a half decent oline and quality play calling they would have been competitive. Not sure when they get NFL caliber linemen? This season or next?

At least the Chefs lost today!

I think it’s kinda silly to suggest that Belichick’s job may be on the line. If the Pats go 1-16, then yeah, he probably gets the boot, so would the entire staff. But if they go 6-11 or 7-10, Belichick will be back next year. I think Kraft knows this wasn’t an easy fix, even with the huge amount of money spent. This will take a few years.

After next week they will be 1-3, but then the schedule gets a little easier, especially the defenses they will face. Texans, Jets and Panthers (I don’t think they are a great team) in 3 of the next 5, tough ones vs Dallas and Chargers. So I can see the Pats go 3-2 in those 5 games, and after starting 1-3 and being 4-5 at the semi halfway mark. Not great, but not horrible in year 2 of the 5 year rebuilding plan.

Josh McDaniels' job is absolutely on the line. Completely exposed and out of excuses without brady.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back