PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Post Game Thread-Ravens beat the Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.

While Guy was all over the place him, Shelton and Butler were also dominated at times by the Ravens OL. Not really sure I'd put any of them into any plus column.

In other news Damien Harris must really, really suck if he can't get Sony Michel and his 3.3 ypc benched

Another colossal bust of a draft pick ?

We have given up 5 drives longer than 9:35 in the bb era?? Or am I interpreting wrong? I cant remember any drives lasting over 10 minutes let alone 5 of them

While Guy was all over the place him, Shelton and Butler were also dominated at times by the Ravens OL. Not really sure I'd put any of them into any plus column.
Shelton, especially. He was handled one-on-one most of the time and was frequently either on his back or pushed 5 yards into the defensive backfield.

Only the positives.

I think James White had his best game as a Patriot. Amazing catch, powerful running. Who knew?

Sanu is getting into sync with Brady.

The hurry-up is a real weapon.

The disastrous play apart, Edelman was a monster, giving 110 per cent.

It's hard to say anything good about the defense, except that they weren't properly prepared for what hit them. I can remember three games when the defense was on the back foot from beginning to end, reacting too late to what was thrown at them: the beating by the Chiefs on opening day 2017, the 2017 Super Bowl -- and now this. In each case, they were out-coached for that game. But, as Brady said, it's one thing to play your best and get beaten, another to get beaten when you don't play your best. They now have a chance to work on their weaknesses.

Go Pats!

You don’t avoid good teams in the playoffs. We’re going to play good teams. I just hope we don’t have to play a team that presents one of the biggest challenges, which I think the Ravens are. I hope seeding works out and another team beats them first. I never said you can avoid good teams. :confused:

Someone mentioned somewhere here (I know - not very helpful) the year the Steelers whipped us on Halloween and our guys returned the favor during the AFC title game. ;)

I don’t think “smoking the team that smoked them” is a very valid argument in most cases. It’s any given Sunday that a team can surprise you.

The point I was making is that all of the fear that was being expressed was not justified.

Agree but we need all 3 of them out there and probably wise also when we are facing
1 WR
2 TE
1 FB
1 RB
1 running QB

We should be playing a 1972 scheme not a 2019 scheme.

Only the positives.

I think James White had his best game as a Patriot. Amazing catch, powerful running. Who knew?

Sanu is getting into sync with Brady.

The hurry-up is a real weapon.

The disastrous play apart, Edelman was a monster, giving 110 per cent.

It's hard to say anything good about the defense, except that they weren't properly prepared for what hit them. I can remember three games when the defense was on the back foot from beginning to end, reacting too late to what was thrown at them: the beating by the Chiefs on opening day 2017, the 2017 Super Bowl -- and now this. In each case, they were out-coached for that game. But, as Brady said, it's one thing to play your best and get beaten, another to get beaten when you don't play your best. They now have a chance to work on their weaknesses.

Go Pats!
Forgetting a very memorable game there, friend?

Forgetting a very memorable game there, friend?

No. I really mean it!

He was Johnny-on-the-spot when Dion Lewis was injured and did everything that was asked of him in that game. But the plays themselves weren't that exceptional (he was nearly stopped on the final play of the game).

But what do I know?

In other news Damien Harris must really, really suck if he can't get Sony Michel and his 3.3 ypc benched
3.3 may be a great accomplishment behind this OL.

Shelton, especially. He was handled one-on-one most of the time and was frequently either on his back or pushed 5 yards into the defensive backfield.

Vintage early 2018 Shelton.:D

No. I really mean it!

He was Johnny-on-the-spot when Dion Lewis was injured and did everything that was asked of him in that game. But the plays themselves weren't that exceptional (he was nearly stopped on the final play of the game).

But what do I know?
Personally I think scoring the game winning Td in the SB isn’t diminished by “almost” being stopped.

And then there was all those receptions and that little most points ever scored by a player in a SB thing.

Agree but we need all 3 of them out there and probably wise also when we are facing
1 WR
2 TE
1 FB
1 RB
1 running QB

We should be playing a 1972 scheme not a 2019 scheme.

What 2019 scheme was that ?

Just rewatched Baltimore’s first few drives on offense and watching the rest now. Yikes. Not a lot of good to say.

- Roberts routinely over pursued and bit hard on the options/fakes, leaving open glaring holes. Others seemed to do there best to help cover his ass, but with the speed and decisiveness of Ingram/Jackson it was too late. A little more patience would have prevented a few of those long runs. Roberts continues to show little ability to disengage from blocks, and relies on guessing right/wide open lanes.
- Looked to be a lot of 3-4 personnel..with primarily Guy, Shelton, Butler on the DL, with KVN (L) and Collins (R) on the outside, and Roberts (L) and High (R) in the inside. The better grouping appeared to be when they swapped Roberts with Collins on the inside, and put Simon on the outside (R). Seems to be the combo of Simon being good at holding the edge, something Collins struggled with this game..but also simply getting the best guys on the field given Roberts was a liability.
- Yanda mainly had his way with Shelton, and he was often turned off balance and unable to hold ground and stay square. Butler showed a little more with being able to stay square at the point of attack, but was largely stonewalled or pushed back. Can’t help but wish Pennel panned out to provide some more beef on the interior of the DL. Butler is fine in a situational role on passing downs, but struggled vs. the run
- Guy didn’t appear to be an issue, and there were several times where he was tasked with holding the left edge, without much help. He also had a nice play to sack Jackson in the 1st quarter and force a 3rd and 10 at the 21 yard line, which ultimately lead to a field goal to go up 10-0 instead of 14-0. Hard to grade the secondary in this one, but would probably say that Guy appeared to play the best out of the DL/LBs.
- Saw Cowart was in near the goal line but didn’t see anything from him positive or negative. Hopefully he can provide something, which will me helpful in regard to one of my next points.
-It feels like they could really use another big DT, but unfortunately with the trade deadline passed there’s not much out there. Having looked at snap counts for the game it was the following: Guy 53 (76%), Shelton 42 (59%), Butler 40 (57%). All 3 of these guys have seasonal averages between 43-48% for the season. It’d be nice to have the ability to keep there numbers from hitting 50%, especially in run heavy games like this where you want to keep them fresh.
-In regards to the point above, Simon was in there at times to play 3-4 DE. To no fault of Simon, this just does not seem like an ideal fit. Unfortunately, any time Butler, Shelton, or Guy are out, that’s the reality of the 3-4 front at times.
We built a smaller faster more multiple defense to deal with the chiefs, Saints, Steelers, Rams of the world rather than one that can shut down a running team. Can’t be everything for everyone.
Ultimately it makes sense. I’m not concerned that we can stop the Baltimore wildcats with scheme despite a lack of beef if we see them in January.

What 2019 scheme was that ?
The one we are using this year that is designed based upon stoping speedy passing offenses rather than bruising running offenses.

We could have won but we lost...Ravens playied well no doubt...

Ok...8-1...to the next...i am not worried a lot for 1 road loss...

The one we are using this year that is designed based upon stoping speedy passing offenses rather than bruising running offenses.

I am not sure I follow. They tried to play to where the strength of our defense is with multiple DBs. It didn't work and they got gashed against the run.

They played base which worked better against the run thanks to the heavier personnel. But then the Ravens started to attack LBs in space.

The reality is that in todays NFL you dont want to play base much. It usually simplifies coverages, you dont have as many installed looks given how rarely it is used and your LBs are exposed against most TEs and RBs who can catch a ball in space.

If Shelton can't even hold up in 1v1s then you will need to play with a different front because if your nose tackle gets beat again and again you will never have gap control.

Hell I would have played almost exclusively cover 0 with an additional person up front instead of a safety and try to bait them into trying to hit homeruns via the pass. At least you are trying to make them attack your strength.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back