PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Post Game Thread-Ravens beat the Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great part about last night prior to big third down play while Pats are still in the game, 3d and 5 from Baltimore 24.......Al Michaels -"And #25 Terrence Brooks is in the game" Brooks proceeds to fail to cover the TE and gives up an 18 yard pass...explain to me why this schittbum is on the team? He sucks and has made one play all season - a pick in the Jets game with the Pats up 26-0.

Oh wait, I forgot, he plays special teams so Bill loves him...
How many teams have a better #4 safety on their roster?

To win a championship, one must defeat all challengers.

We are 10-4 lifetime head to head against that franchise.
I want to win the Super Bowl, Sammy. And if it means we can avoid a team that has the ability to give us trouble I’ll take it. The Ravens have a very untraditional QB that is more likely to give us trouble than any other (aside from Mahomes).

If we have to play the Ravens in the playoffs so be it, we should have a better plan and win if we have home field.

Also that 10-4 record does not reflect how close this rivalry actually is. Two of those victories were by the skin of the teeth (‘12 AFCCG, ‘15 Divisional).

How many teams have a better #4 safety on their roster?
No idea, but maybe they can cover a tight end better on a third and 5 in a potentially game changing situation

As said multiple times during and after the game whats up is that the coaches and the QB don't trust protection enough to play without Watson and Izzo is not good enough to be of additional value to go into 12.

This leaves 11 as the only feasible personnel grouping. The only real variety they got there was to put Sony in a couple times when the Ravens showed up in dime+ packages and try to use the size advantage. It worked as often as it failed as Baltimore adjusted to it quickly.

Similarly they used the WR groupings that give them the most flexibility within 11.

Meyers really has not shown more than 3 routes so far and some of his inside stuff was made redundant with Sanu. Dorsett you'd think would be the more safe choice for no huddle given his experience with the playbook. And yet his biggest moment yesterday came when he read the leverage of the DB differently than Brady which led to the intentional grounding.

Whats up is that the offense needs Wynn back so they can start morphing between different personnel groupings and ways of attack again. Hell, maybe we can start sending more people into their routes instead of keeping them in to protect Brady.
I don’t know, it’s very out of the ordinary for them.

Just rewatched Baltimore’s first few drives on offense and watching the rest now. Yikes. Not a lot of good to say.

- Roberts routinely over pursued and bit hard on the options/fakes, leaving open glaring holes. Others seemed to do there best to help cover his ass, but with the speed and decisiveness of Ingram/Jackson it was too late. A little more patience would have prevented a few of those long runs. Roberts continues to show little ability to disengage from blocks, and relies on guessing right/wide open lanes.
- Looked to be a lot of 3-4 personnel..with primarily Guy, Shelton, Butler on the DL, with KVN (L) and Collins (R) on the outside, and Roberts (L) and High (R) in the inside. The better grouping appeared to be when they swapped Roberts with Collins on the inside, and put Simon on the outside (R). Seems to be the combo of Simon being good at holding the edge, something Collins struggled with this game..but also simply getting the best guys on the field given Roberts was a liability.
- Yanda mainly had his way with Shelton, and he was often turned off balance and unable to hold ground and stay square. Butler showed a little more with being able to stay square at the point of attack, but was largely stonewalled or pushed back. Can’t help but wish Pennel panned out to provide some more beef on the interior of the DL. Butler is fine in a situational role on passing downs, but struggled vs. the run
- Guy didn’t appear to be an issue, and there were several times where he was tasked with holding the left edge, without much help. He also had a nice play to sack Jackson in the 1st quarter and force a 3rd and 10 at the 21 yard line, which ultimately lead to a field goal to go up 10-0 instead of 14-0. Hard to grade the secondary in this one, but would probably say that Guy appeared to play the best out of the DL/LBs.
- Saw Cowart was in near the goal line but didn’t see anything from him positive or negative. Hopefully he can provide something, which will me helpful in regard to one of my next points.
-It feels like they could really use another big DT, but unfortunately with the trade deadline passed there’s not much out there. Having looked at snap counts for the game it was the following: Guy 53 (76%), Shelton 42 (59%), Butler 40 (57%). All 3 of these guys have seasonal averages between 43-48% for the season. It’d be nice to have the ability to keep there numbers from hitting 50%, especially in run heavy games like this where you want to keep them fresh.
-In regards to the point above, Simon was in there at times to play 3-4 DE. To no fault of Simon, this just does not seem like an ideal fit. Unfortunately, any time Butler, Shelton, or Guy are out, that’s the reality of the 3-4 front at times.

Last edited:
No idea, but maybe they can cover a tight end better on a third and 5 in a potentially game changing situation
It was just a bad mismatch in size. Brooks is solid, but he had no chance on that play.

Offense last 4 games - 20 points, 20 points, 31 points (vs the NYJ, who are apparently so bad that it warrants a million page thread on Pats Fans so this game "shouldn't count"), and 21 points. That is a recipe for losing vs winning teams in the NFL if the defense doesn't score and if the offense turns over the ball even once. This team has kicked way too many ****ning field goals inside the 20. Also, can we do away with the patented Josh McDaniels running play on first and goal - whether from the 10 or the 1 - it seems like 9/10 times they're down there the first play is a run. Didn't matter much last year because they had Develin, Grokowski, Trent Brown, Andrews, etc...

Also, Baltimore snuffed out several Pats trickery attempts - the flea flicker and the play down by the goal line with the Dorsett misdirection...not encouraging when they have to resort to trying to free up Philip Dorsett in the red zone...

It's called a no-huddle offense. It was working, after the 1st quarter.

You can't change personnel or the officials won't put the ball back in play until the D has taken their sweet time making changes in response. It was a veteran-heavy grouping with run-pass versatility, to permit the changing of plays and formations on the fly.
I didn’t think it worked all that well. First 3 drives were 10 plays and 3 punts. (I know you did say after the first quarter)
2 of the next 3 started on the +19 and +20 and they netted 10 points.
last 5 were td, fg 2 turnovers and a punt.
Spotted the ball at the +19 and +20 and only scoring 20 points out of 11 drives tells me it might have been better to try something else.

Offense last 4 games - 20 points, 20 points, 31 points (vs the NYJ, who are apparently so bad that it warrants a million page thread on Pats Fans so this game "shouldn't count"), and 21 points. That is a recipe for losing vs winning teams in the NFL if the defense doesn't score and if the offense turns over the ball even once. This team has kicked way too many ****ning field goals inside the 20. Also, can we do away with the patented Josh McDaniels running play on first and goal - whether from the 10 or the 1 - it seems like 9/10 times they're down there the first play is a run. Didn't matter much last year because they had Develin, Grokowski, Trent Brown, Andrews, etc...

Also, Baltimore snuffed out several Pats trickery attempts - the flea flicker and the play down by the goal line with the Dorsett misdirection...not encouraging when they have to resort to trying to free up Philip Dorsett in the red zone...
They completed the flea flicker

That was big play. The game could have turned there with a big stop. People keep mentioning the edelman fumble. That’s not where the game was lost. Pats came back and where moving the ball just fine down the field. Ravens defense gassed. After that the defense gave away the game with a long minute drive.
I said after we fumble, they score then we score that if we stop them and get the ball back down 4 (back to where the half started) the fumble would ultimately have been a good thing in disguise because we got right back to where we were but tired out their D.
We didn’t stop them though.

I am really surprised we treated their offense like every other NFL offense and didn’t sell out to play the run.

In other news Damien Harris must really, really suck if he can't get Sony Michel and his 3.3 ypc benched

I didn’t think it worked all that well. First 3 drives were 10 plays and 3 punts. (I know you did say after the first quarter)
2 of the next 3 started on the +19 and +20 and they netted 10 points.
last 5 were td, fg 2 turnovers and a punt.
Spotted the ball at the +19 and +20 and only scoring 20 points out of 11 drives tells me it might have been better to try something else.
The fumble was a 14-point turnaround (or at least a 10-point turnaround) and had nothing to do with the personnel, unless you want to sit Edelman for some reason.

I want to win the Super Bowl, Sammy. And if it means we can avoid a team that has the ability to give us trouble I’ll take it. The Ravens have a very untraditional QB that is more likely to give us trouble than any other (aside from Mahomes).

If we have to play the Ravens in the playoffs so be it, we should have a better plan and win if we have home field.

Also that 10-4 record does not reflect how close this rivalry actually is. Two of those victories were by the skin of the teeth (‘12 AFCCG, ‘15 Divisional).

Last year people were crapping their pants about how good the Ravens were.

We smoked the team that smoked them. (Yeah I know every year is different)

So I want to know how do you avoid good teams and win in the playoffs???

If you want to win a Super Bowl you need to win 3 tough games.

Last edited:
The fumble was a 14-point turnaround (or at least a 10-point turnaround) and had nothing to do with the personnel, unless you want to sit Edelman for some reason.
I’m not sure given the way the rest of the game went, I’m handing them a td if he doesn’t fumble.
Not using the same 10 players and formation on every single play may have an impact on the offense and maybe that fumble doesn’t happen. Also I would be in favor of Edelman not playing every single snap all game long.

Last edited:
Last year people were crapping their pants about how good the Ravens were.

We smoked the team that smoked them. (Yeah I know every year is different)

So I want to know how do you avoid good teams and win in the playoffs???

If you want to win a Super Bowl you need to win 3 tough games.
You don’t avoid good teams in the playoffs. We’re going to play good teams. I just hope we don’t have to play a team that presents one of the biggest challenges, which I think the Ravens are. I hope seeding works out and another team beats them first. I never said you can avoid good teams. :confused:

I don’t think “smoking the team that smoked them” is a very valid argument in most cases. It’s any given Sunday that a team can surprise you.

You don’t avoid good teams in the playoffs. We’re going to play good teams. I just hope we don’t have to play a team that presents one of the biggest challenges, which I think the Ravens are. I hope seeding works out and another team beats them first. I never said you can avoid good teams. :confused:

I don’t think “smoking the team that smoked them” is a very valid argument in most cases. It’s any given Sunday that a team can surprise you.
Not to mention match-ups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back