PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Thread: Pats destroy the Browns

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

I’d love to see Trent locked up with a multi year deal to keep him as the anchor of the OL for four or five years. I think he’s made bank in his time away and now might be receptive to a decent deal keeping him in a place he knows and likes.

Trent is awesome and changes the game when he’s in there but I’m a little hesitant to commit long term to him.

Bill's invented a new position, blocking wide receiver.

I'm just waiting for when Bill is going to have the entire offensive line push one of our RBs into the endzone. We had it happen to us against the Chargers and Sunday, WFT did it to the Bucs. Bill is saving it for the playoffs because you know once he does this with the Pats, it will be a penalty the next week.

I’d love to see Trent locked up with a multi year deal to keep him as the anchor of the OL for four or five years. I think he’s made bank in his time away and now might be receptive to a decent deal keeping him in a place he knows and likes.
The only thing that worries me about signing Trent to a multi year contract is his health. When he plays, he is an all pro, but if given the opportunity, I'd rather sign him to another 1 year deal, keep him motivated, because when he's been on the field for us, he's been great.

The only thing that worries me about signing Trent to a multi year contract is his health. When he plays, he is an all pro, but if given the opportunity, I'd rather sign him to another 1 year deal, keep him motivated, because when he's been on the field for us, he's been great.
I’d sign him to a multi year deal that factors in availability concerns as an appropriate discount, whatever that is. He was reliable during his first term with the Patriots iirc. Might be that having him in the team conditioning program would be helpful.

It seems somewhat disingenuous to list the positions without specifying the players. It sounds less convincing when you replace "DT" with "Godchaux" and "TE" with "Smith".

And before people get all hyperbolic on me, I'm not calling any of these contracts busts or disasters yet. I'm just saying they're currently on pace to be, with there always being potential for a turnaround.
Not disingenuous at all. Wynn had the most snaps on the OL last year before his injury, and he's coming back into the form that got him in the 1st round. I'm not surprised and am glad they franchised him.

Godchaux takes a ton of heat here because of some early performances. He's playing pretty damned well now, and is critical to the success of that line, particularly on short yardage.

Smith is the best YAC guy on the Pats. It hasn't clicked yet for him, but he's still on pace for about 400 yards if he can get healthy. he's also the guy I want in if Henry gets hurt - don't you? Some things take time. Players often have careers that look line sine waves in terms of productivity. I'm glad they have him and think he'll break out soon enough - but understand, that "break out" on this version of the Pats isn't going to make fantasy owners happy. They have 6 primary targets (3wrs, 2 TEs, an RB) and a couple of secondary targets, and they'll keep spreading it around. There will be no Kelce guy here who get 15 targets a game. Just won't happen.

And I don't want it to happen.

Last edited:
If you look at the CAP numbers for those 4players, the gist of DKF's message is there..
Wynn: 10.413M
Agholor: $15M
J. Smith: $13.75M
Godcheaux: 10.25M

Total: $49.413M against the cap.

But he doesn't understand how the cap works so he doesn't understand how the Pats could pay Jackson in the 4/64-5/90 range and still keep his 2022 ca hit under $10M
I know what he was doing, but that's not how you measure the value vs. $ for a player. It's what he makes on average during his tenure, and since the Pats don't typically add fake years, that becomes even more salient.

I think they'll want him back, and also think other teams might be wary, given his attitude elsewhere and his injuries. I expect the Pats to sign him to a deal heavy on active roster bonuses (and those will be NLTBE, too!).

Apologies for the language, but this is from the man himself right after he was traded back to the Patriots this offseason.

People can change and there may be a monetary point where there’s a different result, but based on this I think he would be very open to taking a reasonable deal and not look to break the bank.

Wynn: 10.413M
Agholor: $15M
J. Smith: $13.75M
Godcheaux: 10.25M

Total: $49.413M against the cap in 2022

Thanks for summarizing the numbers.

That's a real ugly list right there.

Thanks for summarizing the numbers.

That's a real ugly list right there.
That 'ugly list' is the price of bad drafting. BB had to go on that huge free agent spending spree to up the talent level because our drafts sucked the past 5 years.

The Mac Jones draft is the first one I can remember where he hit on just about all his picks and a couple of pro bowlers might actually come out of it. I'll give him credit for this last one. Now please whatever you did differently this year BB, keep doing that!

That 'ugly list' is the price of bad drafting. BB had to go on that huge free agent spending spree to up the talent level because our drafts sucked the past 5 years.

The Mac Jones draft is the first one I can remember where he hit on just about all his picks and a couple of pro bowlers might actually come out of it. I'll give him credit for this last one. Now please whatever you did differently this year BB, keep doing that!

Absolutely. Mediocre staff around BB resulting in terrible drafts from 2013-2019. And extra urgency because Brady went off to win a 7th ring.

This past draft is a home run for BB with Eliot Wolf and Groh helping him in the war room. It makes a huge difference having actually competent smart people around BB, as opposed to 3 roommates from john carroll from 2013-2019. The same minds that thought it made sense in 2020 to start NKeal and bench Meyers, start Michel and bench Harris, in 2021 to start Durant and bench Karras.

The other 2 great drafting periods for BB were 2009-2012 with Reese and O'Brien there, and 2001-2004 with Pioli / Weiss / Crennel.

Last edited:
Not only that. He supposedly genuinely enjoyed his time with the Pats the first time around.

I think that a 3 year deal is more in line with what the Pats might be thinking. Brown is 28, after all and will be 29 in April of 2022.

The drafts the past 5 years haven't "sucked". That's the fan ignorance talking. And that idea has been destroyed 7 ways to Sunday and back again. But you must figure if you keep saying it enough times people will believe it. That's not how it works.

If it comes down to we can't afford JC in the future because we have Wynn, Agholor, Jonnu, Godchaux tied up for 45M, then it absolutely becomes an issue.
I just saw a Patriots highlight film with Henry, Bourne and Meyers making TD catches (two for Henry), Jones making incredible passes, Stevenson making incredible runs, Duggar with an INT. The offense dominated the alleged 5th best defense in the league, the defense holding a playoff caliber offense to seven points.

If you want to be the glass half empty guy and not enjoy what we're seeing but instead be miserable over some players that may currently be under-performing relative to salary, that's on you. Feel free to play the Internet smartass with hot takes about next year, the rest of us will wait till we see where things are at the end of the season. There's still time for some players to improve. You can keep talking about next season's roster as some sort of "disaster", just don't be surprised if others don't want to wallow in the pool of misery with you.

If JC can make more elsewhere next season than Bill wants to pay him, good luck to him. We've seen it before and we've not just survived, we've thrived.

Not only that. He supposedly genuinely enjoyed his time with the Pats the first time around.

I think that a 3 year deal is more in line with what the Pats might be thinking. Brown is 28, after all and will be 29 in April of 2022.
I was thinking four or five years to keep him here for the rest of his useful service life, with years four & five structured to be a painless cut if he needs to go sooner.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back