PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PostGame Thread Official Post Game Thread- Pats beat the Texans

Immediate Postgame Reactions
For 3. The original OL coach was let go due to refusal to take COVID vaccine.
The OL coach spent NINE years coaching OL at Youngstown State was was recruited to the patriots where he assisted under Scarnecchia. Coaching is coaching, a college coach is not inferior to an NFL coach, an in fact, especially on the offensive side of the ball many teams are pulling coaches from college to enhance what they do and expand their offense.

Agree...Bill takes a lot of grief with some of his recent selections and rightly so, but he also deserves credit for moves like this...Barmore has been quite impressive so far.
Yeah there were some questionable decisions but also some hits. Dugger Uche Onwenu Herron and Asiasi are looking like keepers at least for Backup Roles out of the 2020 draft. The 2021 draft looks promising for the first few rounds. Let's hope this trend continues.

No, I wouldn't agree with that at all.

Every game is different. The two guys who whiffed on that 67-yard TD are both really good players.

Another was a 37-yard flea flicker that fooled them. Over 100 yards and 2 tds on plays that aren't going to happen in most games.
Not flukes, but not typical.

This is certainly not a bottom 5 roster. That's just silly talk. They're a couple of plays - bad plays, because they're definitely a work in progress - from being a 4-1 team - you just can't say that against teams with terrible rosters. They're not usually even in any games. The Pats have more points for than points against - you can't say that for teams with truly terrible rosters very often - and can't say it now because they don't have a terrible roster at all.

And all that with a rookie QB and 25 new players, including guys you need to become leaders, on the team. It takes patience because it takes time.

In the very close games, they're now 1-2. I can understand someone saying they're a few plays away from being 3-2, citing point differential as an indicator that 3-2 better reflects their level of play and expectations going forward, but they're never going to win every close game. Same argument was made last year and was ridiculous; all of their close wins are "wins" but all of their close losses were "could have wons". In addition, if the Patriots were playing a team whose only wins were against the Jets and Texans, the obvious perception would be that they haven't beaten anyone yet.

Yesterday, if you were a Texans fan, I'm sure you could point to numerous plays, decisions, "flukes" etc and claim you "should have won" the game too. The bottom line is, win or lose, when it comes down to the final minutes and a field goal or a final possession, both teams have plenty of factors where they can claim that, if they played again or if things were normal and not some fluke, they'd win. And both are wrong because they don't account for the fact that both teams make plenty of mistakes, and if they played it again, they'd probably make other mistakes which, though different, are of the same magnitude.

I 100% agree they're not a bottom 5 roster by any means; I think they're closer to average. And as such, we're going to see a lot of closely contested games this season...but just like last season, when the team wasn't "almost 10-6" this team isn't "almost 4-1." If they reflected an .800 team, these games wouldn't be close and their point differential would be a lot higher. 2-3, or 3-2, is reflective of who they are right now.

I’d say that’s a “phew” but then again we heard that Brown would be back three weeks ago.

Yup, long way to go before he plays this Sunday, but that's at least more encouraging than having broken ribs like the ones keeping Gronk out right now.

The OL coach spent NINE years coaching OL at Youngstown State was was recruited to the patriots where he assisted under Scarnecchia. Coaching is coaching, a college coach is not inferior to an NFL coach, an in fact, especially on the offensive side of the ball many teams are pulling coaches from college to enhance what they do and expand their offense.

Coaching NINE years at a crappy college OLine , before joining the Patriots to lead them to one of the worst 4 weeks of OLine play in team history? Wow. Tell me more about the next hot candidate coming out of the high school ranks too, I'm all ears.

Agree...Bill takes a lot of grief with some of his recent selections and rightly so, but he also deserves credit for moves like this...Barmore has been quite impressive so far.

Drafts have been WAY better with Eliot Wolf here and also Groh elevated. Pats get in trouble when they have too many subpar people making decisions who used to be college roommates together in ohio (2013-2019, 2005-2008).

Yeah there were some questionable decisions but also some hits. Dugger Uche Onwenu Herron and Asiasi are looking like keepers at least for Backup Roles out of the 2020 draft. The 2021 draft looks promising for the first few rounds. Let's hope this trend continues.
I LOLd At your mention of “Asiasi” as a keeper

I LOLd At your mention of “Asiasi” as a keeper
Back up as it looks right now. I guess he will be a good Number 3 solid Number 2 maybe which is better than nothing.

Back up as it looks right now. I guess he will be a good Number 3 solid Number 2 maybe which is better than nothing.
given his high draft position, I would be highly disappointed if he ends up a backup who doesn’t survive his second contract. If you are using asiasi to defend bills drafting, something is wrong

True, but is there anyone on the Pats that resemble Keenan Allen or Mike Williams as far as ability or talent ? Hunter helped both rookie QBs, but he’s on pace for more catches and TDs than last year because he’s Jones’ security blanket, and that’s just smart. TEs are great security blankets for rookie QBs.

I wouldn’t say Mac has been “great”, but I will say he’s been really good considering the weapons he has and considering how poorly the line has played, he’s been really good. No run game like we thought they’d have. So they have to depend on Mac under pressure to complete passes. He’s already broken some records for accuracy.

Still waiting for that breakout game, like the games he used to have in Alabama. Time to take the shackles off and let him sling it. He also needs to cut down on the INTs. But he’s the least of the Pat’s issues, it’s Oline, lack of a running game due to the poor Oline play, and the defense has not been clutch at all. During the loses, Whenever we climb back into a game, they give up TDs.

what makes you think belichick will ever draft weapons like Mike Williams and Keenan Allen for Mac Jones? BB gave 40 million to the chargers 4th wheel to be Macs only weapon

If you are really gonna deny that there has been a coaching brain drain from this organization for a number of years now you are literally ignoring reality.

And it’s fortunate that everyone forgets that Bill offered GREG SCHIANO the defensive coordinator job before the 2019 season. He hires friends, kids of friends, and his own kids. Outside of that he hires back old assistants that flamed out somewhere else and now come on the cheap.

nepotism at its finest.

given his high draft position, I would be highly disappointed if he ends up a backup who doesn’t survive his second contract. If you are using asiasi to defend bills drafting, something is wrong
No there were other examples, Asiasi was more that you can't nail a starter with most picks, you need some cheap backup contributors as well

It wasn't pretty, that's for sure...but I'll take the win!! This team showed heart in coming back.....

Hunter Henry, Folk, Mac, Judon all played great!!!! The O-line was good and the defense played better in the 2nd half.

The fumbles and turnovers are a worry though.....Harris being injured is a worry, but I'll take the win!!!! now 2-3

Let's discuss!!!!
It wasn’t pretty but with a rookie QB and all the new free agents, it’s a building year.

From that perspective, I’m happy with what I’m seeing despite the lack of discipline.
We will get better in time…end of story!

In the very close games, they're now 1-2. I can understand someone saying they're a few plays away from being 3-2, citing point differential as an indicator that 3-2 better reflects their level of play and expectations going forward, but they're never going to win every close game. Same argument was made last year and was ridiculous; all of their close wins are "wins" but all of their close losses were "could have wons". In addition, if the Patriots were playing a team whose only wins were against the Jets and Texans, the obvious perception would be that they haven't beaten anyone yet.

Yesterday, if you were a Texans fan, I'm sure you could point to numerous plays, decisions, "flukes" etc and claim you "should have won" the game too. The bottom line is, win or lose, when it comes down to the final minutes and a field goal or a final possession, both teams have plenty of factors where they can claim that, if they played again or if things were normal and not some fluke, they'd win. And both are wrong because they don't account for the fact that both teams make plenty of mistakes, and if they played it again, they'd probably make other mistakes which, though different, are of the same magnitude.

I 100% agree they're not a bottom 5 roster by any means; I think they're closer to average. And as such, we're going to see a lot of closely contested games this season...but just like last season, when the team wasn't "almost 10-6" this team isn't "almost 4-1." If they reflected an .800 team, these games wouldn't be close and their point differential would be a lot higher. 2-3, or 3-2, is reflective of who they are right now.
Irrelevant to what I was answering. They dominated Miami and lost on a Harris fumble - if he doesn't fumble there, who wins that game? Which team played better?

They played the SB champs to a tipped-third-down pass and a ding off a goalpost - a game that YOU KNOW Brady wanted badly, so badly.

It is what t is. They're 2-3, could well be 1-4. But to say they've got little talent to me is just plain whiny silliness.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back