PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Thread- Pats beat the Steelers

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

I agree that Mac has had a rough start to the season. BUT... he's still 2nd year. Most good QBs in this league don't put it all together until the 3rd year. Again my concern is his mechanics. I don't know why they are so bad.
Especially learning a new offensive scheme

Last edited:
The missed helmet-to-helmet call was the worst. That was an obvious & easy call to make. You could hear the helmets hit. I'd even bet that the league fines the Steeler player who made that hit because it was so obvious.

Theres too many for me to even mention. Nothing super horrible, but lots of wtf calls and it seemed like literally EVERY borderline call went their way. Great resilience by the team to battle through and triumph on the road

Hard to see from the angle we got, but I felt the Meyers hold on the Stevenson run was pretty weak too. Didn't matter as they got the first down two plays later, but that had the potential to be another ticky tack drive killer.
Nah it wasn't weak or ticky tack. It was complete and total bs.

Great game.. ugly but end with a win.

Positives -
  • Matt Patricia and offensive play calling
  • Defense
  • Offensive line
  • Special teams
  • Agholor and Meyers
Negatives

Mac Jones
Parker
QB coach
Tight ends
Injuries.

Hope Mac steps up more next week and it's probably the sore back pulling him down this week.

Quick thoughts:

Offensive Pros:

OL played well, aside from the false starts.
Ran well when they needed to ice the game.
Agholor earned his snaps this week.
Meyers is super dependable.

Offensive Cons:

Still trouble finishing drives.
No one stepped up as a good pass catching back consistently.
No TE involvement.
Parker did NOT earn his snaps (with an assist here to Mac, who needs to not chuck it up to him near the other team's best DB anymore).

Defensive Pros:

Turned the ball over.
Controlled the run game.
Tackled much better this week.
Good coverage overall, outside of some really soft zones leading to catches that looked too easy.
Very few penalties (if any?)

Defensive Cons:

3rd and 17 conversions make me a sad panda.
Responding TD drive by Pittsburgh after the Harris TD was too easy. Wanna see them make a statement on those kind of drives.

Great game.. ugly but end with a win.

Positives -
  • Matt Patricia and offensive play calling
  • Defense
  • Offensive line
  • Special teams
  • Agholor and Meyers
Negatives

Mac Jones
Parker
QB coach
Tight ends
Injuries.

Hope Mac steps up more next week and it's probably the sore back pulling him down this week.

I still don’t think mac has had a really great game on the road yet. The 3 fifty burgers last year and the 36 pts against tennessee were all at home. This game today was pretty bad overall i agree. But came through big on some key 3rd downs

Glad for the win - but Mac looks pretty bad at times..as does Parker although I dont know if it's all his fault.
On the D side - does Bryant really have to play?

Again, more competent defense and mediocre offense.

This is a team void of playmakers so it needs to play smart and somewhat error free football, and hope the other team makes some mistakes. That’s what happened today and they got the W

Crazy

If the Safety actually stood early in the game the final score could have been NE 17 - Pitt 16 plus the 2 points via Vegas. Pitt wins.

Glad for the win - but Mac looks pretty bad at times..as does Parker although I dont know if it's all his fault.
On the D side - does Bryant really have to play?

Aside from the brain fart on the punt return and a catch by Johnson where he was clearly outmatched, I don't remember Bryant getting picked on all that much.

I think they need to try to get Agholor, Meyers and Bourne with Henry at TE.

Get the playmakers on the field and let Mac cook.
Like those three WRs with Thornton hopefully back week 5 or 6. Parker failed to make any impact this week or last. He now has to fight and claw his way back onto the field but Bourne should replace him in 3 WR sets.

To the miserable, no-sex-getting haters here….how did Strange and Agholor play today?

View attachment 45474

Does self-gratification count as sex? If not, I am generally miserable so I can answer.

Agholar bailed out Mac. Excellent game.

Strange 69 had a good game....strange 69?

Gotta go. Be back in a few.

Like those three WRs with Thornton hopefully back week 5 or 6. Parker failed to make any impact this week or last. He now has to fight and claw his way back onto the field but Bourne should replace him in 3 WR sets.

Get Parker some play designs in the red zone where the passes can be high bullets and he can use his size. But between the 20's, we clearly need more speed and versatility. Bourne should be better in that role, all other things being equal.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Back