PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Thread- Pats beat the Chargers

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

I’m guessing ESPN or KFFL. ESPN had some pretty good message boards back in the day. Also made it easy to navigate to other teams boards to see what they are talking about.

Regarding Zampese, he was a scapegoat for the Pats troubles, but he was a pretty damn bland OC. He was living off of his Dallas Cowboys days.

Just like any OC if he has good talent around him he'll look good. If they don't, he won't.

The 1998 and 1999 NEP offense sucked. Martin left. Glenn was always hurt. Coats was wearing down. Drew was sliding. Bad times. By then he was done.

Larry Keenan also lacked creativity. Pom-Pom had no idea what he was doing.

He did well in SD, LA and DAL though because they had talent.

Zampese was a practitioner in the Gilman-Coryell offense, but I don't know if he really had G-C personnel here anyway, especially at QB... Matters seemed to grow worse as time went on, culminating in the collapse of '99...

Last edited:
None of this diahhrea text above, shows any understanding for why the OLine has looked REALLY GOOD and done a total 180 the last 2 weeks. Keep saying dumb things about Onwenu not being a right tackle or how Karras is supposedly bad even though he's played excellent. The OLine was pure garbage the first 5-6 weeks. I don't need a fake expert construction guy to make up 10 crappy reasons why the OLine the first 5 weeks should have theoretically worked, when it clearly did not. I am all about results. Even a total moron can reverse justify results but the real bad morons keep digging a hole and refuse to admit they are wrong. Face it bgc has been wrong about Onwenu, Karras, Mac, Barmore, a lot more if I care to spend a minute to think about it. Imagine thinking you're a football geek but none of your analysis is actually accurate, and you're actually just an often 100% wrong construction guy who lives vicariously on an online discussion board.

What do you do for a living ?

Miami must win one more game this year.

I do lot want them to finish 1 and 16 and the one win be against us!

This thread has become very meta.

Pretty much in agreement and have been saying for years: most coordinators are neutral overall. Call 60 plays a game, win a few big ones, lose a few big ones, and 90% of the time the players/chance decide the outcome. Not a Josh fan, but he pretty much fits that mold.
Agreed but I'd say he's been a + asset overall. A little better than the norm overall in terms of calling plays. Plus in terms of the guy you want next to the QB all year round. I think he was a great sounding board, listener and overall asset for Brady. He's not going to overhaul your team or pull anything out a hat but he's a good OC imo. I would never hire him as a HC. Don't want him here as a HC but can appreciate what he's done he here for 15 years.
Unless they changed out the whole system to something much different (like McVay/LaFleur/Shanahan) they could bring in the next guy and he’d have similar results as McDaniels.
Personally I might only say McVay here. Shanahan is really good at what he does. Not sure I'd say he's really reinventing anything. I see him as his "daddy's son" in that regard and is more just an extension of Mike without the regular boys haircut and old spice cologne. Like if Mike "lived a little" but the old man was great.

Not sure Mcvay is either really but I love what he did with condensed sets in the passing game. He went against the norm there when every one else is getting spread happy he's going tight. Getting his WR's free releases while making them an extension of the run game at the end of the line. I love watching a team play together and every one on that offense is a fist most of the time so to speak. Like at times every one except the QB is a blocker. Utilizing Gurley in the passing game (obviously didn't reinvent anything but utilized his best player and didn't ignore the obvious). I think you could point to him as a very good play caller but again that's subjective and I'm sure the Rams have a DKF that thinks McVay sux.
If McDaniels is in fact dictating the team’s personnel decisions, scouting, draft, due to his own beliefs, then sure, get him out of here….trying to lowball and shy away from physical talent at WR doesn’t work without Brady, and wasn’t working anymore with him. But I doubt Josh has that power…I think it’s Bill who makes all those calls.
I tend to believe most of draft stuff is on Nick with Bill having a final say. I haven't seen or heard anything saying Josh had a big influence or really any real influence at all in that respect. Again I'm sure he's dropping names of who he'd like and letting it be known what type of player he likes but I'm not seeing anything credible pointing to him pulling the strings.
Not so complicated to see that with the Patriots personnel this year you’re looking to take advantage of “competent skill player depth” and must switch up personnel often because without creating positional mismatches, the unit will struggle. Lots of good players; no great ones.
Yup. This is why I don't mind 10 "trick or gimmick" plays a game. People want "explosive" plays, I do too but where are the explosive playmakers?? Just like on defense, when you don't have that talent to win straight up you have to manufacture it.

Expanding on this ... I wasn't surprised by no moves bc this year is really all about assessment. What can Mac do with the current group. What they can achieve as a whole. Guys like HT, Wino, Uche, Williams, Harry. I think we tinker a good deal next year and make a decent size push around 2023 if things work out.
If you want to see a scheme that actually makes a big difference, watch the Saints. They’ve been an outlier for 4-5 years, but few paid attention because Brees was there. In reality, Brees had been very limited for a long time. They brought in Bridgewater and reeled off five wins. Brees hurt? Winston does fine. Taysom Hill gives you a chance. All injured? Ehhh..let’s just have Siemien run it. Michael Thomas injured for two years? Whatever. Offense is a masterpiece. They’ll ultimately fail because the QB talent gap catches up to everyone eventually, but what they’ve done for so long deserve tremendous praise.
Yea SP is a cut above in that respect.

And AOL...that's how far back it went.
I was an AOLe for the start of the Pats dynasty. The worst opposing fans were the Rams fans. They were way too dismissive of other teams.

I also remember an Indiot fan who came there in 2002, thinking that the Pats were a flash in the pan and Manning would take over. Boy did he take a beating.

The saddest case was Richard, a former Pats fan who followed Parcells and Martin to the Jete. Talk about bad timing.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back