PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Thread- Pats beat Arizona

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

Did everyone hear Troy Aikman's assessment of the Patriots?... "not a playoff team." Well, they may actually be, but he has a point if he's referring to the 7th playoff team in general... this season it's likely to setup a couple of really uncompetitive wild card matchups.
I feel like that's every year where there are division leaders and some wildcards that are just bad. Very rarely does anyone say that wildcard weekend feature the best football. That's usually the following weekend.

People like Ashley are getting giddy over Uche. Great player when we have the lead and the other team needs to pass. He can use his elite speed to get after the QB.

How many more times does this scenario come to fruition this season? With our red zone weak offense?

It also helped that the Cardinals did not trot out a formidable offensive line. The unit looked lifeless and listless as the game wore on.

But to make plays in the running game or in pass coverage. You know, where a football IQ is required. Well, his play is a lot less impactful.

There's just never going to be someone who comes uncovered down there in the red zone. Most often, the QB steps up and fires it into a small window, in an area where it can't be intercepted. This was a prime opportunity for that kind of chance.

RedZone play took a dip maybe a year or two back, league wide it had seemed. Mac has to get comfortable with small windows, which necessitates a higher velocity on the ball. There just has to be trust there, you have to believe your receiver is going to know where you're throwing it. I dunno if it's secondaries got better in the EZ, if defensive scheming changed a bit for the EZ, but it seems more difficult to score via pass the closer you get to the goal line these days.

People like Ashley are getting giddy over Uche. Great player when we have the lead and the other team needs to pass. He can use his elite speed to get after the QB.

How many more times does this scenario come to fruition this season? With our red zone weak offense?

It also helped that the Cardinals did not trot out a formidable offensive line. The unit looked lifeless and listless as the game wore on.

But to make plays in the running game or in pass coverage. You know, where a football IQ is required. Well, his play is a lot less impactful.
I guess we're even we've been trotting out one one all year. :whistle:

Did everyone hear Troy Aikman's assessment of the Patriots?... "not a playoff team." Well, they may actually be, but he has a point if he's referring to the 7th playoff team in general... this season it's likely to setup a couple of really uncompetitive wild card matchups.
7th seed travels to KC or BUF. LAC lost to KC by combined 6 pts in 2 games. They can be competitive because their offense can put up points.

Pats would be blown out by KC or BUF. Not sure the Jets wouldn't at least put up a fight, but fail, against those two.

Aikman is correct, this isn't a playoff caliber team. I doubt they get in. Need to win 3 out of remaining 4. I just don't see that happening. We can forget about MIA or BUF not going all in since they both will be playing for seeding. MIA has 3 division games. BUF has 2. Jets have 2 gimmes against DET & JAX. Chargers have Colts, Broncos & Rams, 3 of the 4 worse scoring teams in the NFL. LAC should win 3 out of their remaining 4.

7th seed travels to KC or BUF. LAC lost to KC by combined 6 pts in 2 games. They can be competitive because their offense can put up points.

Pats would be blown out by KC or BUF. Not sure the Jets wouldn't at least put up a fight, but fail, against those two.

Aikman is correct, this isn't a playoff caliber team. I doubt they get in. Need to win 3 out of remaining 4. I just don't see that happening. We can forget about MIA or BUF not going all in since they both will be playing for seeding. MIA has 3 division games. BUF has 2. Jets have 2 gimmes against DET & JAX. Chargers have Colts, Broncos & Rams, 3 of the 4 worse scoring teams in the NFL. LAC should win 3 out of their remaining 4.
Let's hope winning is contagious trust our D. I think we are going to surprise and this Offense could get better. IF we can somehow win the next three we are in business. :cool:

RedZone play took a dip maybe a year or two back, league wide it had seemed. Mac has to get comfortable with small windows, which necessitates a higher velocity on the ball. There just has to be trust there, you have to believe your receiver is going to know where you're throwing it. I dunno if it's secondaries got better in the EZ, if defensive scheming changed a bit for the EZ, but it seems more difficult to score via pass the closer you get to the goal line these days.
I had to look this up. Too lazy to find the overall stats, but it seems like it's been easier (2021 did have a dip which is what you probably have noticed). Red Zone conversions (TD only) for the Pats:

2022: 38.89% (Dead Last - would be 2nd worst over the last 6 years)
2021: 63.08% (7th)
2020: 54.17% (24th)
2019: 49.21% (26th)
2018: 62.86% (12th)
2017: 62.65% (3rd)
----
2007: 70.24% (only 2nd!?)

Looking through the list since 2003, last year was historically good for the Pats (not sure why my memory doesn't jive with it...)
Funny that Cam with way worse receivers got it done better than the GOAT the year before.

EDIT: Note that this doesn't include last night's game, I'm guessing, as Pats were 2 for 4 in the AZ RZ for TDs, with one of the attempts the kneel down drive at the very end of the game. I wonder if that gets included in the official stats.

Last edited:
At worse if he dumps it to Harris here, there's a 5 yard pick up for a 3rd and 5 instead of a 3rd and 10. But you can see Mac's not set and he's already panicking. Missed opportunity.

View attachment 48230
Yeah the RB was open on the Delay I hit that play in Madden in my sleep.

Pretty good pass rusher when they’re losing too.

Last edited:
The beat a terrible cardinals team that lost their starting qb on the first drive.

It’s pretty much par for the course this year. Beating bad teams and losing to good teams. A treadmill team.

Credit to Judon and Uche taking over the game.

I had to look this up. Too lazy to find the overall stats, but it seems like it's been easier (2021 did have a dip which is what you probably have noticed). Red Zone conversions (TD only) for the Pats:

2022: 38.89% (Dead Last - would be 2nd worst over the last 6 years)
2021: 63.08% (7th)
2020: 54.17% (24th)
2019: 49.21% (26th)
2018: 62.86% (12th)
2017: 62.65% (3rd)
----
2007: 70.24% (only 2nd!?)

Looking through the list since 2003, last year was historically good for the Pats (not sure why my memory doesn't jive with it...)
Funny that Cam with way worse receivers got it done better than the GOAT the year before.

they ran a ****load of TD with a good run blocking OL at that time, but passing TD in RZ was horrible since a few years now despite having some big receivers and TEs nowadays, last year was even very good considering this year and 2020 season with Cam

For some context in seasons prior to expanded playoffs one of the teams in this matchup would get a bye week and the other typically lost out on tie breakers and/or blew their chance at the playoffs.
The trick will be getting in and being better than the 7th seed.

they ran a ****load of TD with a good run blocking OL at that time, but passing TD in RZ was horrible since a few years now despite having some big receivers and TEs nowadays, last year was even very good considering this year and 2020 season with Cam
Just to clarify - which "at that time" were you talking about? 2021?

I think people definitely overrate what it means to be a "playoff caliber" team. Nearly every season going back to when the NFL introduced the 6 seed playoff format has had one or multiple teams who qualified for the playoffs that were up and down 9-7 type teams that did just barely enough to get in. There's a distinct difference between being a playoff caliber team and legitimate contending team. The Patriots may end up a playoff caliber team, but aren't a Super Bowl contending team. I don't think anyone had us being a SB contender before the season started anyway, so making the playoffs would be a nice accomplishment if you ask me.

If Mac had stepped up he would have had more time and somebody would have sprung loose. No D can hold coverage for that long he messed up the protection by his errant movement we have seen that too many times this year. I hope he learns from it could be the difference between coming away with 7 or 3 points.
Hope he is getting that coaching...I am skeptical though

I did not hear many complaints about the officials this game......was this crew one of the better ones ??

At worse if he dumps it to Harris here, there's a 5 yard pick up for a 3rd and 5 instead of a 3rd and 10. But you can see Mac's not set and he's already panicking. Missed opportunity.

View attachment 48230
This is probably the one play I watched last night where I felt Mac was really bad...it really showed how much the pass rush has affected him over the course of the year. He needs to stand tall here and throw it instead of look at the rush

I did not hear many complaints about the officials this game......was this crew one of the better ones ??
Keiran Lee Reaction GIF

For both sides.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes