PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PostGame Thread Official Post-Game Thread: Patriots Lose to Commanders 20-17

Immediate Postgame Reactions
When you're putting together a team, you make decisions.

Such as, do I take a stud CB like Gonzalez or a WR like Zay Flowers?

Do I take a guard like Cole Strange or a WR like Treylon Burks?

These are either/or situations.

I prefer taking the stud potential Pro Bowler over the run of the mill player even if that weakens me at some positions. In the thought that I will need a good player at those weak positions eventually if I am to ever win at all. This is why I've always said, the Patriots need a #1 WR. But I'm not going to cry that we took Gonzalez over Zay Flowers.

They were right to take Gonzalez because he was a potential All Pro player who should have gone in the top ten and dropped to them.

But I haven't looked, but I am sure you could find receivers worth taking over Cole Strange or instead of trading down that year they could have traded up a handful of spots and beaten out the Commanders for Jahan Dotson. Or they could have been really aggressive and traded up to the top 10 and got Chris Olave or Garrett Wilson.

This year, instead of Marte Mapu, Josh Downs was still on the board.

But you cannot say that Strange is a "stud potential Pro Bowler". Gonzalez? Yes. Strange? No. Not yet.

They were right to take Gonzalez because he was a potential All Pro player who should have gone in the top ten and dropped to them.

But I haven't looked, but I am sure you could find receivers worth taking over Cole Strange or instead of trading down that year they could have traded up a handful of spots and beaten out the Commanders for Jahan Dotson. Or they could have been really aggressive and traded up to the top 10 and got Chris Olave or Garrett Wilson.
You should look.

At the point the Patriots were supposed to pick, the 1st 2 rounds from the Strange draft were an absolute crudshow for WRs. 7 busts including Treylon Burks and then a guy in Pickens who his teammates hate.

Good point about Downs and Mapu though. If you could do a search on here with my post and "Robert Downs" you'd see that I thought he was one of the top WRs in the draft. Patriots wanted to trade totally out of the 3rd round but no one would give them anything.

Look. This isn't that hard.

The results are abysmal.

Bill deserves the heat and he's definitely on track to getting fired.

All the stuff you're saying sounds excuse making.
So you can't answer

Kirk is getting paid $18 million a year. That is average #1 WR money. This year, he is the 15th highest paid WR. He is an 1,100 yard WR. He is getting paid his money. The Pats gave Agholor $11 million a year. If Agholor is worth that, they could have ponied up for Kirk.

AJ Brown is overtly on the record he wanted to play for the Patriots. He cried he didn't. He probably didn't think the Patriots ever would trade for him and that may be why he talked about playing with his best friend. But most players' dream is to play for the team they grew up rooting for. I doubt Brown is any different.

How about Amari Cooper? The Browns got him for next to nothing.

And let's face it. The cap, at least for the time being, is pretty much crap. If you want to sign someone, you do so by adding a bunch of voidable years. Belichick refuses to play that game except for McCourty. Most other teams do. There isn't a WR I mentioned that Pats couldn't have easily paid and fit under the cap.
Look at the total average and the guarantees. We all know teams can lower the cap hit in any given year. I'm talking about the average. That's the number to look at.

And Algholor got a 2 year, which is different than a $37m guarantee plus $72m for 4 yrs.

I don't know how many times I have to say this: Aj Brown said that in college. This was back when Brady was still a member of the Patriots. Sitting next to him was his best friend Jalen Hurts. Hurts wasn't even in the league yet. This is a preposterous argument. He wasn't leaving Tenn. to go play with Mac Jones in an anemic offense. He was going to play for his best friend.

Cooper was discussed here, he's on his 7th team. He's good. But a journeyman. How is he on his 7th team?

In the past Belichick has expended resources in trades for WRs. And I'm not referring to Randy Moss. A second for Welker, a 1st for Brandin Cooks, 2nd for Sanu. I don't think they are worried about the cost of top WRs and if they can get them, they try to do it.

Not sure I said anything about the cap or about being handcuffed. I didn't say any of that. I believe the opposite. I think they have money. If Aj Brown wanted to play with Mac, then great! Pay him. But he doesn't

I’d go OT. But given the choice, I’d go WR.
Absolutely, if we pick where we're currently slotted there's going to be an elite OT or WR. It HAS to be one of those 2 positions. Bolster the offense, let Mac play out his rookie deal, and if he's as terrible as half of pats nation thinks, start with a new qb who isn't set up to fail in 2025.

Absolutely, if we pick where we're currently slotted there's going to be an elite OT or WR. It HAS to be one of those 2 positions. Bolster the offense, let Mac play out his rookie deal, and if he's as terrible as half of pats nation thinks, start with a new qb who isn't set up to fail in 2025.
I’d even be ok with a vet QB for two years - at affordable dollars - and move on from Mac. In fact, that might be my preference.

But, « yes to all » you are saying above.

So you can't answer

I'm not gonna answer a question I already seen Rob hand you.

No one is more responsible for what you're watching than Bill.

Clearly you don't agree with that and I think that's enough for me to know what I need to know.

Easy Mark, he's lined up in the neutral zone. Look at where the line judge who's looking down the LOS. Balls at the 27, 3's head is clearly over the ball. Even Zo agreed with this call.

Belichick implied he wasn't sure of the call - said something along the lines of not every line judge would call that. If it was indeed a clear infringement he would surely have been spitting mad.

Not defending Mack here - even if there is very a low chance of a penalty it can't possibly be worth it for the few inches you gain.

I want to hold him accountable for the results.

He put this team together. He coached this team.

Doesn't really feel like alot to ask.
How would you judge his results since arriving?

Look. This isn't that hard.

The results are abysmal.

Bill deserves the heat and he's definitely on track to getting fired.

All the stuff you're saying sounds excuse making.
What is your expectation of, starting from 2020 how long it should take a team to be back as a legitimate post season threat before you say, that’s way too long, many other teams did it faster?

What is your expectation of, starting from 2020 how long it should take a team to be back as a legitimate post season threat before you say, that’s way too long, many other teams did it faster?

They're getting worse. Each year.

I know you've noticed it.

Judge Bill on what he's done without the GOAT and you have your answers.

I would think you'd be tired of parroting the same thing over and over and at some point would accept the results as they are.

Bill is the sole proprietor of what this team has been post Brady.

Look at the total average and the guarantees. We all know teams can lower the cap hit in any given year. I'm talking about the average. That's the number to look at.

And Algholor got a 2 year, which is different than a $37m guarantee plus $72m for 4 yrs.

I don't know how many times I have to say this: Aj Brown said that in college. This was back when Brady was still a member of the Patriots. Sitting next to him was his best friend Jalen Hurts. Hurts wasn't even in the league yet. This is a preposterous argument. He wasn't leaving Tenn. to go play with Mac Jones in an anemic offense. He was going to play for his best friend.

Cooper was discussed here, he's on his 7th team. He's good. But a journeyman. How is he on his 7th team?

In the past Belichick has expended resources in trades for WRs. And I'm not referring to Randy Moss. A second for Welker, a 1st for Brandin Cooks, 2nd for Sanu. I don't think they are worried about the cost of top WRs and if they can get them, they try to do it.

Not sure I said anything about the cap or about being handcuffed. I didn't say any of that. I believe the opposite. I think they have money. If Aj Brown wanted to play with Mac, then great! Pay him. But he doesn't

Again, AJ Brown grew up a Patriots fan. He may have loved Brady, but he also loved the Patriots. Most Pats fans remained Pats fans even after Brady left. You are just making up that he was a Brady fan and not a Patriots fan. The guy was drafted in 2019. Do you really think he thought he was going to play his entire career with a 40 something Brady if the Pats drafted him?

You are the one making the preposterous argument because Brown probably would have gone to whatever team paid him the most whether it was the Eagles with Hurts or his favorite team in Brady. Playing with Hurts was a bonus for him and probably not a requirement.

Where do you get that Cooper is on his seventh team? He is on his third team. You know what? Randy Moss broke the TD record on his third team. And Cooper had had five 1,000 yard seasons. He had an 1,100 yard, 9 TD season last year and on track for a north of 1,200 yards this season. Some journeyman.

Algohor is the journeyman you are looking for and he was paid like a good starter at the time of his contract with the Patriots.

Welker was acquired way back in 2007. Belichick also let Welker walk rather than pay him the $6 million a year he got with the Broncos even though Welker was coming off a 1,354 yard, 6 TD season.

And he let Edelman walk rather than giving him big money and was just lucky Edelman decided to come back rather than take an offer from the Eagles.

Cooks was traded away after one year rather than pay him a competitive salary. Sanu was a desperation move for a washed up player because the Pats had no WRs in 2019.

Last edited:
They're getting worse. Each year.

I know you've noticed it.

Judge Bill on what he's done without the GOAT and you have your answers.

I would think you'd be tired of parroting the same thing over and over and at some point would accept the results as they are.

Bill is the sole proprietor of what this team has been post Brady.
Why would you judge the guy who win more SBs for this team than anyone ever has by eliminating 20 of his 24 years?

You didn’t answer the question.
Are you saying not being a playoff contender doesn’t matter you just want to be 9-8?

It’s an easy question. From where the team was 2020 what would be an unacceptable timeframe to not be back as a serious contending playoff team? How long would it be before you said, that’s bad other teams rebuild faster than that?

Sow is one of the lone bright spots on this team. He's 6th/88th in pass block efficiency has given up 0 sacks, 0 hits & 2 hurries since he started in week 6.

Onwenu is also 7th among tackles. The OL may not need an overhaul atleast.

Why would you judge the guy who win more SBs for this team than anyone ever has by eliminating 20 of his 24 years?

You didn’t answer the question.
Are you saying not being a playoff contender doesn’t matter you just want to be 9-8?

It’s an easy question. From where the team was 2020 what would be an unacceptable timeframe to not be back as a serious contending playoff team? How long would it be before you said, that’s bad other teams rebuild faster than that?

The Bengals went from worst team in the league to a defensive snap away from the Superbowl win 2 seasons later.

Not sure why you're trying to frame the NFL as a really hard league to make the jump. It's the easiest of the 4 major sports for a team to make a turnaround.

Not sure why you wanna give Bill all the credit for those Superbowl teams and not hold him accountable for the past 4 seasons.

He's the reason they are in rebuild mode. You know that right? He picks the players. You're aware of that ya?

You don't want to hold him accountable for the results when they suck but quick to say how great he was in those 6 Superbowl winning seasons.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back