PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PostGame Thread Official Post Game Thread- Cowboys beat the Pats

Immediate Postgame Reactions
I don't think so.

The cover talent on the back end is not there.

JC is a CB2
Green Goblin is a CB4
DMC is 34
JJ is good but in the slot only
Phillips and Dug are big nickel and liabilities in coverage

Without a pass rush it's ugly and that's what we saw last night.

Regarding the Bolden run, Mac admitted to checking into running plays last week when he shouldn't have. Why are you assuming that was the call

It's not the run that bothers me it's using bolden when you have Harris and Stevenson. Bolden is not good.

4th and short you need to go with one of those guys if you are running

Seems like every week Mac a rookie QB needs to put the team on his back to get a win or make it a game.
Disagree. You can't claim he hasn't had good work turned in performances around him. The defense played great this week until they ran out of gas, something the final score didn't do justice to.

I love what we've got in him but this is a team sport. He is doing great for what he's doing and the stage of development he's in. But you don't get to say he put the team on his back when he throws 2 TDs, a pick six, and some decent but not standout yardage. Now, I'm not attacking him, and I'm fully aware that there is an idiot brigade programmed by your local sports media, looking for someone to lynch... and they've settled on, at different times, Josh, Belichick Sr., and Belichick Jr.

I don't think apportioning blame is how you fix problems, and I don't think the smartest guy in the room is the loudest- and foulest-mouthed blamethrower. Not talking about you, talking about some of our "fans."

I think that this team has been put in a position to win, and/but has lost. They're on the cusp, which is a terrible, disgraceful, worst position to be in ever blah blah blah until you realize there's something much worse, i.e., not being on the cusp and having no shot.

Now, allow Mac himself to be responsible for, for example, the pick 6, and things look a little different. I don't say that to slam him. That ball should have been caught, but it's not like it was a perfect ball either. But it's also his 2nd pick 6. Okay, maybe the cake's not totally baked yet with this guy. More work to do.

But nah, he's not steering some rudderless ship without backup on O or D. The run game was hitting when used. To listen to some of our "fans" we focused our run attack on Bolden, who got 1 carry all night. Truth, Harris and Dre ran for 5.6 and 4.6 ypc respectively, for 101 yards and 23 yards, respectively, oh and don't forget, 2 TD. So no, it wasn't all Mac on offense either.

He's being asked to play the usual role of a QB, and yeah, it blows my mind when I see young QBs come out and succeed. The most pressure I had at that age was pressure to actually plot a career rather than go to a bar, pressure that within a mere 20 years I bore up to just fine. Point being, these guys come out and at age 22 or 23 have to be able to be the focus of local media, elite athletes, all that stuff. Just very impressive.

But nah he's not being thrown to the wolves with nobody else doing anything to win, he's just having to be a QB right away & he is doing so great at that, that everybody wants to put MORE on his shoulders. :D

It's not the run that bothers me it's using bolden when you have Harris and Stevenson. Bolden is not good.

So, Bolden got one run all night.

Dre got 4, Harris got 18.

How often do you see a box score where only one or even two backs in a New England backfield carry the football?

???

Gronk/Bennett
2016?

Gronk missed more than half the year and when they were both healthy ..they didn't compliment one another. They both were never really both big points of the offense. That was much more us being lucky to have Bennett as the next guy up vs having 2 dynamic tightends producing at the same time.

McDaniels is not the OC you want to lead a double TE offense. Not based on his resume.

Jonnu Smith our #1 FA signing on offense is playing the Dwayne Allen role...I'll give some weight to the fact they likely need him to due to awful oline play

Last edited:
The Cowboys are 2nd all time in yards per game, 7th in PPG & their 6.6 yards per play is right there with the most explosive offensives ever such as the 2018 Chiefs, 2016 Falcons, etc. The focus should be how do we score more points rather than hold this type of offense in the low 20s IMO.

Last edited:

Bolden is better than either of them in pass pro, which makes me think it was supposed to be a pass

2016?

Gronk missed more than half the year and when they were both healthy ..they didn't compliment one another. They both were never really both big points of the offense. That was much more us being lucky to have Bennett as the next guy up vs having 2 dynamic tightends producing at the same time.

McDaniels is not the OC you want to lead a double TE offense. Not based on his resume.

Jonnu Smith our #1 FA signing on offense is playing the Dwayne Allen role...I'll give some weight to the fact they likely need him to due to awful oline play
McDaniels was OC for the best double TE offense I've ever seen. Gronk and he-who-will-not-be-named. That 2012 offense was one of the best offenses in NFL history. Their point total was astronomical.

McDaniels was OC for the best double TE offense I've ever seen. Gronk and he-who-will-not-be-named. That 2012 offense was one of the best offenses in NFL history. Their point total was astronomical.
He took the offense that Billy O' B created..he never bothered to replicate or recreate that offense past 2012.

Alright, someone needs to explain me how is this a thing. Its all becaming more and more bizarre with these press-conferences

We get 2 TEs to be able to run these packages. We run a system where we can plug pieces in different position players in similar plays with the EP system

Im gonna even add: We are one of the few teams with FB on the roster. We even have (or had) 2, counting PS players. We had 5 (Five) Rbs on the roster at one point.

And we have 7 plays on this formation? Like, no man, if this was the Jets doing this stuff we would be laughing, this pathetic, unless Im missing something. ****ing all pre-season was for ****ing what? TC? OffSeason? 5 games before?

Last edited:
I may steal that gem for my avatar.
Anyone who has ever been on an upper before recognizes that face. My guess would be Adderall since I doubt he was blowing lines on the sideline without being seen.

He took the offense that Billy O' B created..he never bothered to replicate or recreate that offense past 2012.

Huh? What? Bill O'Brien came after McD's first stint and he learned his stuff from McD. Bill O'B didn't create anything in New England. I actually blame Bill's idiocy for the 2011 Super Bowl loss.

After 2012, we went away from the two TE offense because one TE was injured and the other one was in jail. You can't have a 2 TE offense if you don't have a TE, never mind 2.

Alright, someone needs to explain me how is this a thing. Its all becaming more and more bizarre with these press-conferences

We get 2 TEs to be able to run these packages. We run a system where we can plug pieces in different position players in similar plays with the EP system

And we have 7 plays on this formation? Like, no man, if this was the Jets doing this stuff we would be laughing, this pathetic, unless Im missing something. ****ing all pre-season was for ****ing what? TC? OffSeason? 5 games before?

It’s worse than i thought. That’s way to close to Jets level for my liking

At least all the beat reporters that I follow seem to indicate that they are kinda perplexed with these comments as well.

I’m still baffled anyone can fault our defense for that loss. Dallas would have hung 50+ on us with a lesser defense today.

I agree. Giving up 35 points and over 550 yards of offense was a great performance by our defense yesterday. As fans, we should consider ourselves lucky that Dallas didn't score 50 and have 700 yards of total offense.

I don't think so.

The cover talent on the back end is not there.

JC is a CB2
Green Goblin is a CB4
DMC is 34
JJ is good but in the slot only
Phillips and Dug are big nickel and liabilities in coverage

Without a pass rush it's ugly and that's what we saw last night.
I think we need better quality players on defense across the board. Barmore looks like a player to me but Dugger and Uche aren't where I hoped they would be at this point. We need young talent badly on D.

Uh...isn't that also an argument to go for it? I mean you hadn't stopped Dak at all previously.

I agree with punting it in OT. However, we were hamstrung on that drive by a dropped pass by Agolar and a bad play call on 3rd down to the sideline. Frankly, Mac doesn't have much to work with either from a coaching perspective or talent on the field.

Excuse the bad visual on the 3rd and 25. If Prescott had hit Lamb in stride it’s a first down and possibly even a touchdown. The pass caused him to stop and come up a yard short. I have no idea what the defense is doing here.

View attachment 36716
According to McCourty they planned on taking away his 1st two progressions and didn't have enough personnel to cover that play because he had too much time in the pocket. Sounds baffling they were playing to cover shorter passes. Nvm the fact Mills was trailing CeeDee badly.

One positive - we might have found the OL that works. After the disaster of Wynn and occasional whifs by Cajuste,
it seems Herron is our LT, and Onwenu at RT going forward. Ferentz filled in well, but I see Karras as LG and Mason as RG.
I'd like to see this for the foreseeable future: Herron - Karras - Andrews - Mason - Onwenu
*unless Mason struggles or has nagging injury

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back