PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PostGame Thread Official Post Game Thread- Cowboys beat the Pats

Immediate Postgame Reactions
I liked McCarthy’s aggressiveness on fourth down and goal line. They didn’t work out and maybe the wrong play selection, but those are good calls statistically. I didn’t like the 50 yard FG attempt late in the game on 4th and 1, but maybe that’s from all the short yardage failures earlier.

People scream "Analytics! Too conservative!" when coaches don't go for it. People scream "Bad play call" or "You're an idiot for going for it", when coaches go for it and it doesn't work out.

I'm not sure how next year is going to be some kind of massive leap in the talent of this team, it's going to be pretty much the same team with a few minor additions.

Mac is already playing average quarterbacking unless you're expecting him to jump and become a top 10 QB in one off season i just don't see some kind of massive upgrade of talent coming for the 2022 Patriots.

You've also got a few key veterans who probably won't be back like McCourty and Hightower.
Thank you

This is the most important draft in the Belichick era, probably. We already filled the cap in free agency, so we NEED to hit it off

The thing that's so frustrating about the team so far is probably what makes it strangely enjoyable. They've been in every single game - even the Saints game they were down 7 with a couple of minutes left to go. This year like the last may end up being a Shakespearean tragedy, but I'll be eating my popcorn, nonetheless, as I still have a 5 year grace period post SB win (although I don't think Bill Simmons even follows his own rules anymore as a lot of Boston/New England fans have long past turned into Veruca Salt).

-------

Not sure I agree with it but throwing it out there:

"Team owners think they need marquee names or slick stadiums to prosper, but research... suggests that fans want something far simpler: suspense."

Not a criticism of the team because I think the draft is full of luck and hindsight, but just saying it’s too bad the Patriots didn’t pick Trevon Diggs last year. Cowboys drafted him at #50. I wonder if the Patriots had him rated highly considering:
  • They have famously picked so many defensive backs in round two. They picked a DB in round 2 in 2018, 2019, and 2020.
  • Their first and second round pick in 2021 are from Alabama; their third round pick in 2020 was from Alabama; their third round pick in 2019 was from Alabama.
  • They picked Cyrus Jones, defensive back from Alabama, in round 2 in 2016.

If Pittsburgh wins tonight, the Patriots will be either 11th or 12th in the conference, based upon current tiebreakers with the Colts.
They're #11 right now. I don't see any team from AFCE or AFCS getting a WC. There'll be several from AFCN & AFCW.

The Patriots offense is close. A healthy Oline and a stud wideout is what they need.

No catches today by N’Keal Harry, a first-rounder who is on his way to being traded or even released.

imagine a CeeDee Lamb opening the field vertically for Mac.

we had a choice between deebo Samuel, Aj Brown, di Metcalf, diontae Johnson, Terry McLaurin, and NKeal Harry.

You could always stick dynamite in your modem and delete all ability to use the internet if it bothers you that much
Blowing up my modem won't do anything since the internet is a series of tubes.

Just to show how stupid ESPN “analytics” are and why no one should ever cite them in these field goal/fourth down discussions.

After the Diggs pick 6 and failed two point conversion, the Cowboys kicked off leading 26-21 with 2:21 remaining. ESPN’s win probability gave them a 98.2% chance of winning. The Patriots already had 3 TDs and would score another on the next play.

1634532819547.png

The same Meyers and Bourne who also had key drops that cost the Patriots. One killing a drive and the other leading to a pick six.
Agholor also had a big catches earlier in the game that extended a drive.

The Pats have attempted to draft "top notch" Wide Receivers. They've not had success. BB focuses his 1st round picks mostly on the LINES and LB. With a pretty high success rate. Before you start yammering on about the Steelers or Metcalf, it's been talked about ad nauseum, here and the Patriots have won 6 SBs without that "DIVA" WR. Maybe they'll need to change, but currently there are other issues on Both Lines that need to be addressed.

so all elite WRs are “Divas?” what A ridiculous statement

I think so, but it’ll take a while as there are a lot of guys who’ll be on the ballot at the same time who’ll be considered more deserving. But he’ll get there; huge piece of the last 3 SB.
Feels like the second dynasty’s Rodney to me

The Cowboys OL is supposed to be good enough to put the ball in the endzone when they have 4 downs to do it.
Maybe, but running the ball 4 times in a row down the middle seems dumb AF, especially when they stuffed you the first 3 times. Everyone was expecting the run, why not try something different.

I’d like to know when the Lord Bill obsession started. It’s bizarre he’s protected the way he is.

I’ll never understand it. It started with the famous group text chain started by luuked recruiting BB fan boys and listening to Chatham podcast slobfests about BB. Then the mods here really picked up the slack when that group dissipated

The talent gap between Dallas and the Pats is considerable. This is a rebuilding team with a rookie QB. Playoffs would be shocking.
The 2022 draft and I'm grabbing a tackle and then going D in round 2,3,4,5.
I thought the DC, whoever that is, had a terrible game. The OC wasn't great, either. When you coach not to lose, you rarely win.

who does Mac throw to? Himself?

so all elite WRs are “Divas?” what A ridiculous statement

The divide on this forum actually began before Brady left. It was when the team released AB and a bizarre cult emerged talking about how No TeAm EvEr WiNs WiTh DiVaS and making asses out of themselves by trying to rewrite history, ignore reality, and cite the early 2000s Patriots with incredible bias. All the postseason losses were due to a DiVa and all the wins were due to scrappy WRs. That’s what ultimately led to the wider schism. Every cultist who wasn’t just anti-AB but saw success through a weird prism of not having a #1 WR became Team Bill when Brady left. They blamed Brady for wanting pro level WRs and ”deciding to sulk” when he had incredible options like Harry, Sanu, Dorsett, Izzo, and Lacosse.

Last edited:
Maybe, but running the ball 4 times in a row down the middle seems dumb AF, especially when they stuffed you the first 3 times. Everyone was expecting the run, why not try something different.
And, if they'd tried a pass, and it worked, the complaint would be that they gave up on the run, and "No way could the Patriots have stopped the run 4 times in a row...".

I’m still baffled anyone can fault our defense for that loss. Dallas would have hung 50+ on us with a lesser defense today.

all I heard before the season from the Belichick club was how last year didn’t count and the team would win 10-11 games and make the playoffs this year

now we get to hear excuse after excuse. this moral victory crap after losses is the same thing we made fun of the rest of the afc east fans doing for 20 years. 0-4 at home now. Belichick’s bad drafting and baffling decision to blow money in free agency on mostly mediocre players is rearing its ugly head

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back