PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PostGame Thread Official Post Game Thread- Cowboys beat the Pats

Immediate Postgame Reactions
Question:
Was Anyone confident in the defense on 4th and 25? At the game I could hear the oh no whispers.

Observation:
In my 33 years with season tickets I’ve never seen more opposing fans at a home game than I did last night.

Excuse the bad visual on the 3rd and 25. If Prescott had hit Lamb in stride it’s a first down and possibly even a touchdown. The pass caused him to stop and come up a yard short. I have no idea what the defense is doing here.

View attachment 36716

McCourty on that play:

“We’ll watch it, but we’re banged up, it’s tough. You would want more DBs in but you guys could see, it was tough. [Jonathan] Jones was in and out, [Adrian Phillips] went down for a second, [Justin Bethel] went down for a second, it was just tough. A play we try to practice just wasn’t executed well enough. That play was tough though.”

Sounds like excuses.

McCourty on that play:

“We’ll watch it, but we’re banged up, it’s tough. You would want more DBs in but you guys could see, it was tough. [Jonathan] Jones was in and out, [Adrian Phillips] went down for a second, [Justin Bethel] went down for a second, it was just tough. A play we try to practice just wasn’t executed well enough. That play was tough though.”

Sounds like excuses.

The New Patriot Way

According to McCourty they planned on taking away his 1st two progressions and didn't have enough personnel to cover that play because he had too much time in the pocket. Sounds baffling they were playing to cover shorter passes. Nvm the fact Mills was trailing CeeDee badly.
Sorry, those were McCourty's comments about the game winning play.

“We were in a tough call for the route they ran. They dialed up a good play for what we tried to do, kind of situational football. What they like to do, we tried to take it away. Dak [Prescott] was able to hold it for another second. We kind of took the first two reads, the two tight ends to the flat on our left side, but an extended play, he got to kind of get back to the middle. That’s where we were kind of light at and that was it.”

Uh...isn't that also an argument to go for it? I mean you hadn't stopped Dak at all previously.

Yeah he's kind of contradicting himself there.

I mean your D is gassed. You haven't really stopped them. You acknowledge their kicker has a big leg.

Wouldn't that mean you don't want to give the ball back to them?

You punt and lose either way. They just need a FG. It's about a 95% chance of a loss.

Or...you go for it.

I wasn't really impressed with Dallas. I'd be stunned if they reach the NFC title game. Their pass D and coaching is suspect.

They aren't better than Arizona, Rams, Bucs, or Packers imo.

Sorry, those were McCourty's comments about the game winning play.

“We were in a tough call for the route they ran. They dialed up a good play for what we tried to do, kind of situational football. What they like to do, we tried to take it away. Dak [Prescott] was able to hold it for another second. We kind of took the first two reads, the two tight ends to the flat on our left side, but an extended play, he got to kind of get back to the middle. That’s where we were kind of light at and that was it.”

Lol

And honestly it makes the first quote even worse that it’s about the game winning play in OT. Apparently so banged up and injured, you can’t even compete, and yet they punted on 4th and 3.

McCourty on that play:

Sounds like excuses.
I'm sure some will disagree with me, but I think it's time to move on from McCourty- speaking strictly of the football player. He's been a good football player for this team, albeit unspectacular... but all good things must come to an end.

Lol

And honestly it makes the first quote even worse that it’s about the game winning play in OT. Apparently so banged up and injured, you can’t even compete, and yet they punted on 4th and 3.
They also had no plan there. What they could have done, which we've seen them do in the past, is try a run, smoke route, or WR quick screen. If you get the 1st down, great... but in all likelihood the worst that happens is that you set yourself up for a 4th and short.

The core problem is this -
BB is coaching as if he has the early 2000's team. He's being safe, playing the numbers, hoping to outlast less-disciplined teams.

The issue is - this a younger/newer team. They aren't grissled and congealed as one yet. They need to play the emotion and the momentum, keeping the foot on the gas. And the coaches are restricting that.

This team needs to learn how to play from the lead.

Huh? What? Bill O'Brien came after McD's first stint and he learned his stuff from McD. Bill O'B didn't create anything in New England. I actually blame Bill's idiocy for the 2011 Super Bowl loss.

After 2012, we went away from the two TE offense because one TE was injured and the other one was in jail. You can't have a 2 TE offense if you don't have a TE, never mind 2.
Agree to disagree.

McDaniels offense rarely feature tightends unless his name is Gronk, nevermind 2 (Could be wrong by before gronk his best TE night of been Watson). Billy came in and changed things in the offense when McDaniels left...one of the most notable was using and featuring both tightends. McDaniels came back and got away from that. At no point after the murders and gronks repeated injuries did they attempt to restock the cubbard. Trading for 1 year of Bennett maybe being the best attempt. We were content to go forward with out.

Go see McDaniels offense elsewhere in the NFL and even before he left the first time here. He does not utilize the 2 TE set - I'm not making this up. I don't dislike McDaniels ..but Tightends outside of maybe the goat...are not usually impressive on a McDaniels offense.

Last edited:
The 2011 offense was the peak of 2 TE even though they didn't score as many points as the 2012 team. In 2012 Gronk only played 11 games and Hernandez only 10. It was 16 and 14 in 2011. I can only imagine 2012 with them not missing so many games.

Yeah he's kind of contradicting himself there.

I mean your D is gassed. You haven't really stopped them. You acknowledge their kicker has a big leg.

Wouldn't that mean you don't want to give the ball back to them?

You punt and lose either way. They just need a FG. It's about a 95% chance of a loss.

Or...you go for it.
Exactly, the only way for the Patriots to really win in OT was to retain possession. Zuerlin can kick 49 yarders in his sleep. BB lost his balls he just doesn't even realize it, which is the sadder part of all this.

Alright, someone needs to explain me how is this a thing. Its all becaming more and more bizarre with these press-conferences

We get 2 TEs to be able to run these packages. We run a system where we can plug pieces in different position players in similar plays with the EP system

Im gonna even add: We are one of the few teams with FB on the roster. We even have (or had) 2, counting PS players. We had 5 (Five) Rbs on the roster at one point.

And we have 7 plays on this formation? Like, no man, if this was the Jets doing this stuff we would be laughing, this pathetic, unless Im missing something. ****ing all pre-season was for ****ing what? TC? OffSeason? 5 games before?

”The most prepared team in football”

Bill should retire…it’s humiliating. He’s going to bulldoze his legacy.

Said this was an 8-9 team during the Jets game and that is looking far too generous. Only thing left to hope for this year is the growth of Mac Jones and a top 5-10 pick. 9-13 post Brady while he won the Super Bowl and is 5-1 on his way to another NFC title game at minimum. People on here love to defend Bill, but the dynasty was all about Tom.

Dak threw for 445 yards. Most ever allowed by a belichick team and so far the most amount of yards thrown by the QB in one game this season.

Dak is a good QB but he threw for 200 more yards yesterday than his season average of 241 yards.

Add Mills to the list. Averaged 119 yards before the pats game threw for 312 yards that game.

The defense is a concern even though I'm being told on here the defense is good.

Last edited:
Dak threw for 445 yards. Most ever allowed by a belichick team and so far the most amount of yards thrown by the QB in one game this season.

Dak is a good QB but he threw for 200 more yards yesterday than his season average of 241 yards.

Add Mills to the list. Averaged 119 yards before the pats game threw for 312 yards that game.

The defense is a concern even though I'm being told on here The defense is good.
Yup. If anyone bothered to watch film instead of going by the tv broadcast, they would realize the secondary is not what they think they are. It is what it is.

Agree to disagree.

McDaniels offense rarely feature tightends unless his name is Gronk, nevermind 2 (Could be wrong by before gronk his best TE night of been Watson). Billy came in and changed things in the offense when McDaniels left...one of the most notable was using and featuring both tightends. McDaniels came back and got away from that. At no point after the murders and gronks repeated injuries did they attempt to restock the cubbard. Trading for 1 year of Bennett maybe being the best attempt. We were content to go forward with out.

Go see McDaniels offense elsewhere in the NFL and even before he left the first time here. He does not utilize the 2 TE set - I'm not making this up. I don't dislike McDaniels ..but Tightends outside of maybe the goat...are not usually impressive on a McDaniels offense.
This is really an impossible conversation since we only had those 3 years of the dual TE and they overlapped with BOB and McDaniels's tenures, and outside of that we didn't see 2 great TEs either with the Patriots prior to 2010 or after 2013 or in Houston with the Texans. Both teams in recent years have expended a lot of resources to find TEs, and Jordan Akins may be a good one, as Jonnu Smith and Hunter Henry may be for New England, but we just don't see a concerted effort to reproduce what New England had between 2010-2013 either before or after that.

Last edited:
This is really an impossible conversation since we only had those 3 years of the duel TE and they overlapped with BOB and McDaniels's tenures, and outside of that we didn't see 2 great TEs either with the Patriots prior to 2010 or after 2013 or in Houston with the Texans. Both teams in recent years have expended a lot of resources to find TEs, and Jordan Akins may be a good one, as Jonnu Smith and Hunter Henry may be for New England, but we just don't see a concerted effort to reproduce what New England had between 2010-2013 either before or after that.

I think it's hard to find one good dual threat TE, so team's just aren't going to plan on having two to build their gameplan around week to week. And if a TE isn't good at receiving AND blocking, you really don't get the mismatches that make the two-TE offense the most dangerous it can be.

Exactly, the only way for the Patriots to really win in OT was to retain possession. Zuerlin can kick 49 yarders in his sleep. BB lost his balls he just doesn't even realize it, which is the sadder part of all this.
BB losing his balls is something nobody could've anticipated.

This is the same coach who once went for it on 4th down in his own territory so Peyton Manning wouldn't get the ball back. A correct decision by Bill btw.

He once (Albeit incorrectly) kicked off instead of receiving in OT. But he still had the guts to do it. I'm referencing 2015 Jets game.

He tried an onside kick in a playoff game against the Jets.

He wanted to go for it on 4th down against the Rams in the SB. Though Brady talked him out of it. Already up 7. He didn't fear Goff at all.

He's been accused of many things. But being a "Chicken ****" has never been one of them.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back