PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PostGame Thread Official Post Game Thread- Cowboys beat the Pats

Immediate Postgame Reactions
They have been competitive and had a chance to win most of the games, but so did the 2000 patriots.

And the patriots went on to win the super bowl the following year...I think we all need to step back and realize that this team is not going to win the super bowl this year or even make a deep playoff run. The focus should be on Mac getting better and by that measure he has done very well.

Pretty much.

Lol at the guy saying how the Patriots not only made a solid value signing with Smith but also mitigated risk because they avoided void years, etc. His contract is backloaded and even in 2023, they’d still take a 13.75M cap hit if they cut him. Yeah…simply because “the cap goes up every year” doesn’t mean this contract isn’t a gigantic blunder. Smith could play twice as well as he’s played so far and it’s still a horrible deal.

1634522207127.png

And the patriots went on to win the super bowl the following year...I think we all need to step back and realize that this team is not going to win the super bowl this year or even make a deep playoff run. The focus should be on Mac getting better and by that measure he has done very well.
So because they probably won't win a Super Bowl, that gives them an excuse to lose fumbles every game, give up almost 600 yards of total offense, get ANOTHER punt blocked, get called for a key penalty that cost them a TD, lose another winnable game, and have the coaching staff choke away every 4th and short by being too chicken bleep to go for it?

I don't think so.

Excuses are for losers, and I'm hearing a ton of them.
We gave up over 550 yards of total offense, had a punt blocked, a TD called back because of a penalty, couldn't stop them on a key 3rd and 15, couldn't even get the play in on offense on multiple occasions, lost another fumble, coached the game way too conservatively, we weren't good enough on 3rd down on offense, didn't get near enough pressure on Prescott, had a key drop by Agholor, and lost (another) winnable game.
LYING is for losers. Your claim that they couldn't get the play in multiple times is complete BS. Never happened. The one delay of game call has nothing to do with getting the play in and everything with the players getting lined up correctly. Which is on the players and Jones.

Agholor, Bourne and Meyers ALL had drops.

Great job not giving Gregory ANY credit for the hit on Jones that knocked it lose. Newsflash. Happened DOZENS of times to Brady over the years.

You're another one who doesn't know what being aggressive actually is. You ignore the aggressive plays that the Players failed to execute.
Why is N'Kheal Harry still on this team? He is the absolute worst wide receiver that I've ever seen play for the Patriots. But at least we didn't waste a key 1st round pick on him and we didn't end up losing the best player to ever play the game as a partial result of drafting him... oh wait- we did.
Yep.. So bad that he drew a 15 yard penalty. And you clearly have squat for experience watching Patriots receivers.
How is it that we spent all this money and have so little team speed?

Why does this defense look like Patricia is coaching them? For that matter why did we bring him back in the first place?

Why did TEs only get 4 targets in this game?

We are getting close to the point that Bill should no longer be getting the benefit of the doubt, because his teams have not been producing for too long.

You're another one who has ZERO idea how much money was actually spent and what they're getting for it. Judon, Henry, Smith, Mills, and Agholor are getting 12M in salary and Roster bonus this year. Judon has been a stud. Henry has come on with 3TDs in the last 3 weeks. Prior to his injury, Mills was our 2nd best DB. Agholor and Smith are works in progress who should get better as they learn the offense.

Maybe it's YOUR expectations that are the issue? You ever stop and think of that?

The team has plenty of speed. You clearly aren't paying attention.

Why are you mentioning Patricia? Is it because you're grasping for straws? Nothing about the Defense is close to any of the Patricia defenses.

Since you weren't paying attention, the O-line was having issues with the Dallas D-Line. So they used the TEs to block. Imagine that.

The fact that you think we're remotely close to Bill not receiving the benefit of the doubt during a rebuilding year is pretty laughable.

Umm.. Not producing for too long? SB win in 2019 (part of the 2018 season). And that was the 3rd in 5 years. They would have had a 4th if the refs had called the illegal formation on Philly in the SB when Foles lined up illegally on his TD reception.

and have the coaching staff choke away every 4th and short by being too chicken bleep to go for it?

People need to stop with that line of complaint. The Chargers took the "We're going for it on 4th down!" approach against the Ravens. How much did the Chargers win by?

They need to figure it out because he cost way too much $$ to be frozen out 5 games in. I haven’t looked at the contract details but I can’t imagine he’s cutable at a reason cap hit until 2023.

I like Jonnu and he looked good on the Titans who knew how to use him. But it never made sense to sign 2 expensive tight ends when you know the oc has zero clue how to use 2 TEs and has zero idea where to put Jonnu. Jonnu is playing like a FB bc the oc has zero idea what a 2nd TE should be doing and never looked at the Pats 2010-2011 tape under O'Brien.

LYING is for losers. Your claim that they couldn't get the play in multiple times is complete BS. Never happened. The one delay of game call has nothing to do with getting the play in and everything with the players getting lined up correctly. Which is on the players and Jones.

Agholor, Bourne and Meyers ALL had drops.

Great job not giving Gregory ANY credit for the hit on Jones that knocked it lose. Newsflash. Happened DOZENS of times to Brady over the years.

You're another one who doesn't know what being aggressive actually is. You ignore the aggressive plays that the Players failed to execute.

Yep.. So bad that he drew a 15 yard penalty. And you clearly have squat for experience watching Patriots receivers.

You're another one who has ZERO idea how much money was actually spent and what they're getting for it. Judon, Henry, Smith, Mills, and Agholor are getting 12M in salary and Roster bonus this year. Judon has been a stud. Henry has come on with 3TDs in the last 3 weeks. Prior to his injury, Mills was our 2nd best DB. Agholor and Smith are works in progress who should get better as they learn the offense.

Maybe it's YOUR expectations that are the issue? You ever stop and think of that?

Why are you mentioning Patricia? Is it because you're grasping for straws? Nothing about the Defense is close to any of the Patricia defenses.

Since you weren't paying attention, the O-line was having issues with the Dallas D-Line. So they used the TEs to block. Imagine that.

The fact that you think we're remotely close to Bill not receiving the benefit of the doubt during a rebuilding year is pretty laughable.

Umm.. Not producing for too long? SB win in 2019 (part of the 2018 season). And that was the 3rd in 5 years. They would have had a 4th if the refs had called the illegal formation on Philly in the SB when Foles lined up illegally on his TD reception.

Lol…

The 2 units I was at one point very excited for have been dissapointing : Oline and Linebackers. I love Hightower one of my favorite pats all time but it's over. He's more Bryan Cox than Bruschi right now. Should have a reduced role and be there for mentorship and leadership purposes.

I hope McGrone and McMillian bring something next year.

Oline is just a mess..a little health related but Wynn needs to go and Trent Brown isn't a long term solution (or much of a solution at all so far).. an influx of talent is needed. It is very much the #1 reason why we are struggling and probably holds most of the weight as to why we are 2-4. This includes coaching.

I think the offensive line is a bigger problem than what most folks think and it's dictating the way we call plays..the conservative play call and keeping the tightends back to help tackles are all due to the oline play. Outside of maybe Owenu and Mason ...I don't think there is a lock to hold their spot in 2022.

I thought the defensive gameplan was solid. That Cowboys offense is stacked with a great scheme. They avoided getting beat for big scoring plays and played great red zone defense.

The yardage numbers just looks so skewed because the Pats offense only got I think one first down for 5 straight possessions in 2+ quarters. The defense got left out to dry.

Would be great to see that kind of turnaround next year (not even a super bowl but an 11 win season would provide much hope). 2000 was more understandable for that type of season though, the resources that went into this year you expect a winning record and a playoff berth . So thats a bit of a disappointment.

They couldn't get the play off in time. Your excuses don't change that. That's unacceptable for an NFL team. Period.

You can't punt the ball away time after time after time on 4th and short when your defense can't stop anyone. That's being conservative and it probably cost them the game today.

I defy you to name 1 Patriot receiver in the Belichick era that played for the team for this long and gave us less.

Right they are doing so great that the team is 2-4.

No I never thought of that.

Please. We have no team speed and everyone knows it.

I said its getting to that point, not that we are there yet. If this continues, we will be.

The main problem with the team is the O-Line. Everything starts and ends with them. I do believe that Mac would be able to throw deeper if they could hold their blocks for a few more seconds. Mac is probably so afraid of being leveled that he hurries some throws that result in INT 's or incompletions. The o-line is also directly responsible for the D not making the plays at the end of the game. They are so incompetent for much of the games that the O always stalls and puts the D back on the field immediately so they are gassed by the second half. Today the D stopped Dallas on 4th and 1, got an INT in the end zone, held Dallas to a FG. You can't ask more from them but if the O is going to go 3 and out every drive to start the second half it is to be expected that the defense will not be able to make stops down the stretch.
The team has a few other issues like receivers dropping balls , but every receiver drops balls. If Mac had more time I do believe we would see him play much better. (I am still happy with his progress ). If the O-line isn't getting Mac killed, they are killing drives by stupid penalties and mistakes . Fix the da mn O-line and this team will win more than they will lose !

Lol at the guy saying how the Patriots not only made a solid value signing with Smith but also mitigated risk because they avoided void years, etc. His contract is backloaded and even in 2023, they’d still take a 13.75M cap hit if they cut him. Yeah…simply because “the cap goes up every year” doesn’t mean this contract isn’t a gigantic blunder. Smith could play twice as well as he’s played so far and it’s still a horrible deal.

View attachment 36705

I was just wondering the other day what his contract actually looked like and how easy it was to get out of. That kinda hurts. Guess we're stuck with him 2 more years after this season. Last season looks like a 'dummy year' at least where we can cut ties.

I thought the defensive gameplan was solid. That Cowboys offense is stacked with a great scheme. They avoided getting beat for big scoring plays and played great red zone defense.

The yardage numbers just looks so skewed because the Pats offense only got I think one first down for 5 straight possessions in 2+ quarters. The defense got left out to dry.

Yeah I'm looking at it trying to figure it out. Held the Cowboys to only 10 points in the 1st half which is fantastic. Somehow gave up 445 passing yards the most BB has ever given up. Is it as simple as saying Mills was torched all game? I hated the DBacks started playing off the line of scrimmage, brings back dean pees PTSD for me.

I was just wondering the other day what his contract actually looked like and how easy it was to get out of. That kinda hurts. Guess we're stuck with him 2 more years after this season. Last season looks like a 'dummy year' at least where we can cut ties.

That’s the problem with huge FA splurges. The effects aren’t usually apparent because people think “did we get better now?” answers the question.

It’s 2-3 years down the road when teams have huge amounts of (a) overpaid, underperforming players, and (b) tons of dead cap hits from releasing/trading players from category a.

I know Harry works hard and all, but his great contribution can easily be replace by Wilkenson and perhaps more. What is Wilkenson doing in practice that is keeping him locked up on the practice squad?

Harry is a bust. This should no longer be a debate.

The main problem with the team is the O-Line. Everything starts and ends with them. I do believe that Mac would be able to throw deeper if they could hold their blocks for a few more seconds. Mac is probably so afraid of being leveled that he hurries some throws that result in INT 's or incompletions. The o-line is also directly responsible for the D not making the plays at the end of the game. They are so incompetent for much of the games that the O always stalls and puts the D back on the field immediately so they are gassed by the second half. Today the D stopped Dallas on 4th and 1, got an INT in the end zone, held Dallas to a FG. You can't ask more from them but if the O is going to go 3 and out every drive to start the second half it is to be expected that the defense will not be able to make stops down the stretch.
The team has a few other issues like receivers dropping balls , but every receiver drops balls. If Mac had more time I do believe we would see him play much better. (I am still happy with his progress ). If the O-line isn't getting Mac killed, they are killing drives by stupid penalties and mistakes . Fix the da mn O-line and this team will win more than they will lose !

Mason and Brown need to get off their fat ***es and get back on the field…

We have become a fan base of if so and so happens we win the game. There is no if we either win or lose. Right now we are 2-4 plenty of time left to get better, but we a below average football team record wise

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back