PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PostGame Thread Official Post Game Thread- Cowboys beat the Pats

Immediate Postgame Reactions
What are you talking about? Bill has been criticized all year...I can think of maybe one poster, DaBruinz, who constantly defends him but that's about it.
I like BB. I don’t think he’s the reason the team is 2-4 rather than 4-2. He’s an excellent coach.

Going into the 4th quarter Mac had attempted 13 passes. There is some insane reason why this coaching staff does not trust him. I have no idea what it is. But we aren't winning any game with him attempting 13 passes going into the 4th quarter.

One reason may be because he was hit so hard by Gregory...he wasn't the same for much of the 3rd quarter.

Agreed. But was it a coaching issue or a player issue? Did the Safety not move over the way he should have? Or was it a bad call by S. Belichick? The All-22 might tell us.

Not having the depth at DB is definitely the one coaching issue I have. They only have 3 true CBs on the Roster in Jackson, Jones and Wade. And Wade is currently in the concussion protocol and they've not brought Ross up from the PS. They need to address this.
Several issues but to me the big one is you cannot call a D that has little chance against a play Dak can run with ease. I don’t understand selling out for the run there. McCourty said they were in a bad D for that call. Coach not putting players in position to succeed. See if the tape shows different. Maybe it was an aggressive call because he thinks he can’t win on personnel ?

Last edited:
McDaniels has a clear track record of now 5+ seasons as either a HC or OC without Brady as the quarterback and it's 5 seasons of awful offensive playcalling and production.

I don't get blaming the coaches, coaches that have won multiple super bowls now suck. Players play, coaches can only do so much.
I guess I understand, as fans we're really passionate and want wins and when we don't we get frustrated and the coaches get blamed...hence, why so many get fired year after year. Hopefully, we can bounce back and get on a winning streak. I am always the optimist, but crazier things have happened. (Comeback against Atlanta, Seattle Sb) lol

The talent gap between Dallas and the Pats is considerable. This is a rebuilding team with a rookie QB. Playoffs would be shocking.
The 2022 draft and I'm grabbing a tackle and then going D in round 2,3,4,5.
I thought the DC, whoever that is, had a terrible game. The OC wasn't great, either. When you coach not to lose, you rarely win.

The one thing I can't get out of my mind is the clashing between Mac Jones and McDumb on the last several drives. You could see Mac just throw up his hands and his body language was shouting "just let me take over the game!"

No idea why McDumb continues to insist on micromanaging the offense for Mac when Mac clearly shows that he has a superb command of it, even to the point of ripping Harry for not lining up properly, for forgetting to motion, and then getting the ball snapped before the play clock expired.

Going into the 4th quarter Mac had attempted 13 passes. There is some insane reason why this coaching staff does not trust him. I have no idea what it is. But we aren't winning any game with him attempting 13 passes going into the 4th quarter.
I’m amazed he threw just 21 passes in a game that went to OT. Has that ever happened before?

And maybe going D in all rounds and using the $ from Hightower and McCourty for the Oline.

I think the more talented team won based on talent alone. Our team had shortcomings but Mad Mike McCarthy absolutely BLOWS and tried everything to give us the game.

However...individual efforts by Dak and Cee Dee Lamb late in the game got Cowboys the W.

I'm confident one day Mac will delivering those nail in the coffin throws late in games but I'm not sure we have the receiver who will be his "cee dee lamb" in those situations on the team right now.

A big step back? From where? Reminder: he’s a guy whose best season ever was 450 yards receiving and was never a good blocker. He’s worse now because of expectations. This was a free agent signing with roughly a 1% chance of being a good one. They paid Travis Kelce money for a change of pace tight end who can only be used in a few special packages. If you listened to the criticism about this signing rather than screaming SIX RINGS, you’d know exactly wtf is going on.

In the movie Top Gun remember at the beginning where Cougar lost all confidence after dealing with that MiG? I think that’s what happened with Smith during the Saints game. An average TE who now has no confidence. Not a good combo to have.

McDaniels has a clear track record of now 5+ seasons as either a HC or OC without Brady as the quarterback and it's 5 seasons of awful offensive playcalling and production.
This team is developing a quarterback, and it's chosen to do so by keeping the QB from becoming the problem. And it sure looks a lot better than 3 of the 4 alternative methods being used on the other 2021 first round QB draftees.

People crying about the Patriots offensive playcalling should first be taking a good long look at how the Jets (Wilson), Bears (Fields), and 49ers (Lance) are doing offensively with their shiny new toys.

Run defense was good, but we couldn't get any pressure all night against that OL. Tough to take. Maybe didn't deserve it, but could have had this one. Real shame.
Agreed, thought Judon got held a couple of times, especially on the last drive right in front of the ref, but Dak had all day. Good have gambled a little at the end.

The talent gap between Dallas and the Pats is considerable.
The 2022 draft and I'm grabbing a tackle and then going D in round 2,3,4,5.
Yes, OT and secondary have to be the two top priorities. Maybe throw in another WR.

I guess I understand, as fans we're really passionate and want wins and when we don't we get frustrated and the coaches get blamed...hence, why so many get fired year after year. Hopefully, we can bounce back and get on a winning streak. I am always the optimist, but crazier things have happened. (Comeback against Atlanta, Seattle Sb) lol
Correct.

Tom Brady was QB.

What are you talking about? Bill has been criticized all year...I can think of maybe one poster, DaBruinz, who constantly defends him but that's about it.
Nah there’s plenty of Team Bill posters. The only criticism comes from the pro Brady posters like myself.

Here's what I've seen. A team with a rookie QB that has gone toe to toe with some of the best teams in the league. Losing on a thin margin.

Mac - He is still getting command of this offense. There were a lot of procedural issues today, he was definitely confused by the Dallas D quite a bit and it took him a while to decipher his pre snap reads. He also made some big time throws and made you believe that in time, he's going to really tear this league up.

Coaches - They are balancing being aggressive with throwing the game away. I get it, it's frustrating, it sucks, but it's better than taking the approach these other teams are with their rookies falling into a terrible team black hole.

This season is probably going to next us some higher picks unless Mac goes on a run, which I wouldn't mind if they got it together and won the last 9 or 10 of their remaining 11 games. It would show a team ready to compete next year

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
Back