PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PostGame Thread Official Post Game Thread- Cowboys beat the Pats

Immediate Postgame Reactions
I know Harry works hard and all, but his great contribution can easily be replace by Wilkenson and perhaps more. What is Wilkenson doing in practice that is keeping him locked up on the practice squad?

He is great at posting instagram workout clips but I am not actually sure he works hard at the skills required to be a good NFL wide receiver.

I know Harry works hard and all, but his great contribution can easily be replace by Wilkenson and perhaps more. What is Wilkenson doing in practice that is keeping him locked up on the practice squad?
He's terrible, always has been terrible, and asked for a trade- get him out of here. Again, can anyone name a Belichick era WR that gave us less that played for us for more than 1 year?

The moment our td was nullified and Mac fumbled the following play is when our offense died. They lost faith in the oline right after that play and tried putting in Wynn when they should've stuck with the starting line. We just needed more from our offense today and for our wrs to make those catches in the fourth/ot.

I give props to our short yardage and redzone defense but outside of that was not good. Barmore and Judon did an admirable job but everyone else was pretty ineffective. All of our linebackers struggle to get off of blocks and just tackling in general. I miss the Hightower that used to be a difference maker. Hightower used to be an elite blitzer but he can't even do that anymore.

Yes it was an entertaining game, but make no mistake about it: we were dominated. The refs kept us in this game. I would say the refs were our friend if they didn't remove Meyer's td. Did Meyers make a deal with the devil for success but in the fine print said no tds? This is getting ridiculous. How many more losses until we are eliminated from playoff contention? We are playing with training wheels as if we have games to spare. Unleash our offense. If Mac gets hurt than resign Cam. Cam is capable of losing just as much but without style points.
The refs kept us in the game by calling back a long TD and by missing a clear PI/Facemask n third down in OT?

Well, okayyyyyy, then.

We have become a fan base of if so and so happens we win the game. There is no if we either win or lose. Right now we are 2-4 plenty of time left to get better, but we a below average football team record wise

It depends on whether you are analyzing or cheerleading, IMO. If you're analyzing, and you say something like "That fumble with 2 minutes left cost the team the game" in appropriate context and understanding, that's fine. What we're getting too much of is "But they were just one play away!" when the opponent can say something like "We were just a couple of blown opportunities away from absolutely wiping that team out" with as much, or more, legitimacy.

Why did it take a Harry injury for Meyers to finally get playing time last year?

Why is Bourne not getting more touches?

Why is Henry not getting more touches?

Why is Bolden getting carries in critical downs?

It depends on whether you are analyzing or cheerleading, IMO. If you're analyzing, and you say something like "That fumble with 2 minutes left cost the team the game" in appropriate context and understanding, that's fine. What we're getting too much of is "But they were just one play away!" when the opponent can say something like "We were just a couple of blown opportunities away from absolutely wiping that team out" with as much, or more, legitimacy.
Amen.

Bequette apparently gave Harry the BB blackmail photos.

Does that mean that Harry will be running for Senator in a few years too?

That’s the problem with huge FA splurges. The effects aren’t usually apparent because people think “did we get better now?” answers the question.

It’s 2-3 years down the road when teams have huge amounts of (a) overpaid, underperforming players, and (b) tons of dead cap hits from releasing/trading players from category a.

Agreed, so far though I think Jonnu's is really the only contract that is gonna hurt in a few years. I think Godchaux's is only a 2 year deal. It would be a shame if the team in 2-3 years is affected alot by contracts signed to win for this year and next.

Why did it take a Harry injury for Meyers to finally get playing time last year?

Why is Bourne not getting more touches?

Why is Henry not getting more touches?

Why is Bolden getting carries in critical downs?

It's a clear pattern of an offensive staff/oc that has zero clue on evaluating talent. It all makes sense when you realize it's the same oc who thought Tim Tebow, Chad Jackson, Laurence Maroney were worth 1st round picks.

Jonnu is an elite YAC tight end who would kill blitzers on screen plays, who plays....FB in this offense.
Onwenu is a RT.
Trent Brown is a LT.
Why did Karras sit for 4 weeks, why did Durant play for 4 weeks.

Meyers was a 1000 yd receiver who didn't get a chance until injuries.

Not to mention that the Pats have proven that they can't stop anyone.
What do you mean? Holding a team to a FG is not the best a defense can hope to do on any series?

Fat Matt the problem on D?

Besides the weird game last week, defense hasn’t been the problem. I’m pretty optimistic about them overall. Wish they’d close out games better but they’ve been gassed at the end too many times due to the offense going 3 and out or otherwise just having short possessions. As BB would say, poor complementary football. The struggles are definitely offensive.

Fat Matt the problem on D?

Pats Defense held the Cowboys to 10 points in the first half which was fantastic. I think the Pats offense going 3 and out, 5 straight times after halftime, totally gassed the Pats defense.

That just means backs are getting to the second level way too easily. The DTs are not getting the job done.
Thank you for pointing that out man.

very true.

Up to 6m in the 1st and he’s looking agressive? Does he suck?

Top 10 pick. Here we come!

If I’m Kraft, BB is coming to my office to explain why I just spent record $$$ on free agents he said we needed only to be winless at home and 2-4.

Mills…woof.
I love how they paid a bunch of average at best FA’s but refused to pay Brady and many other great players.

TB12 covered up these problems with his IQ and skill set.

Brady covered BB and JM mistakes. BB can’t draft so has to try and find FA’s every year.

I do like Mac, he’s going to be great.

The Pats just went to overtime with a top-5 team in the league despite losing the turnover differential -2, and effectively giving up two pick-6s (Diggs' actual pick-6, and the Meyers TD that was called back, which promptly turned into a turnover, a 7 point swing). If they had recovered the muffed punt, they likely win that game in regulation despite losing the turnover battle -1 (-2 in actuality, but -1 hypothetically had they recovered that muff) to the best offensive team in football. I say this not to argue that this was a moral victory, but I say this to demonstrate that there isn't some fatal, fundamental flaw with this team. They're a good, not great, football team that can play with anyone in the league, but need to stop turning the ball over and be a bit a tougher in critical, late-game situations if they want to turn close losses into close wins.

My reaction is not one of: "man, this team is complete hot garbage, with a bad coach, bad players, and no future".
Instead my reaction is: "man, that was a close game. I'm frustrated this team can't make the critical plays late in games to come up with wins, and I'm really frustrated that they keep turning the ball over".

There isn't some fundamental flaw or "gotcha" issue. The coaching (particularly offensively) could be better in spots, I think McDaniels made some serious strategic errors today. The players need to make plays and execute better at times, they need to stop turning the damn ball over ... but they're not a bad team, with 3 of their 4 losses coming by a combined 9 points, two of those games being against top-5 teams in the league. They laid their once-per-season egg against New Orleans and played down to Houston.

They're still 1-3 years away from potentially being elite again (pending personnel decisions and Mac's progression). They need more talent in their defensive front-7, and Jones needs time to grow physically and gain experience, but they're not a bad team in their current iteration; they're a pretty good, not great team, that can't stop turning the ball over. Outside of the Jets game, I believe this team's TO differential for the season is -9 (-5 including the Jets game). I don't care how good you are, you won't win many games when that's the case.

The defense was good enough today, but they weren't great. "Great" would've been a late turnover to seal the game. Am I disappointed in the defense given who they were playing? No. Do I want to see them take the next step towards being great, which is generating game-winning plays? Absolutely.

Am I happy they lost? Absolutely not. Are they immune from criticism? Nope. Were there coaching decisions that I would've liked to have seen approached differently, by both Belichick and McDaniels? 100%, yes.

Do I think Bill Belichick is some feeble, infirm, old man who has lost his grasp on the game, lost his edge, and lost the essence of winning football? Not at all. Do I still feel he's as good of a coach as you'll find in the league? Yes, certainly. Do I trust him leading this team through the next 4-5 years, should he choose to stick around for that length of time? There's no one else I'd rather have.

Football is such a game-to-game, matchup sport. Do I think it's likely they win the division? Not at all. But we've seen runs happen, teams get hot, wacky plays/bounces of the ball, etc, and I wouldn't be shocked if New England found some traction and ended up around 9-10 wins, while Buffalo loses their magic. Would I put money on it? Nope, not for a second. Will I hold out hope they turn things around? Yeah, for sure.

Division aside, I think they have a good chance of making the postseason as a wild-card. 2-4 looks bad ... 3-3, or 4-2 would feel much better, but ultimately 2-4 is only one or two games away from 3-3/4-2, and most of the league is sitting in the 2-4 to 4-2 bracket, with 11 games left to be played. Don't need to be a mathematician to realize the team's goal of making the postseason is still very much in front of them.

The most important thing is that this team recovers physically and emotionally in order to avoid a letdown against the Jets. If I was Belichick, I might give them an extra day off and let them recharge. After a tough, emotional loss like this, I think it's better to err on the side of less work, more time to mentally/physically reinvigorate, than run the guys into the ground and come out flat the following week.

Looking forward to the rest of this season: The schedule is somewhat frontloaded. Buffalo is a good team but those AFCE games are usually tight and we matchup well with them. Outside of those games against Buffalo, the toughest ones left are LAC, CLE, TEN, CAR - all of those games are played by the end of November and are winnable. If they can win 3-4 of those matchups and pull out at least one against Buffalo, I think they will get a wild card spot (and if they find their way in, no one is going to want to play them, IMO).

At the end of the day losing f*cking sucks. The difference between a nice autumn evening and a miserable one is a Pats win, and I miss the feeling of them pulling out a big win ... miss it a lot. That said, it’s hard to feel they’re a bad team after watching today’s game; they looked like a playoff team to me. They just can’t find the plays they need to win close games. Tough, but on the balance I feel relatively positive about watching them going forward (for the rest of this season, and beyond into future seasons).
If we win all 11 remaining games, this team could win 13 this season. Anything is possible.

Does that mean that Harry will be running for Senator in a few years too?
If he does, we know that he won't be able to separate from the pack...
th_coffee.gif

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back