PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Post Game Thread- Chiefs beat the Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
The dude could have thrown 3 picks in less than a half’s worth of work and people are still defending him. It’s pretty crazy.
Like I said in another post, every team that doesn’t have a rock solid elite QB has at one point or another famously had some prospect on the bench that people irrationally believed in because of no other reason than he was signed with the team and had a hard time letting go of the dream on until it was beyond argument that he was never going to be that guy.

Stidham had one good throw and multiple disaster our throws. Stidham finished with a worse passer rating, a worse completion percentage, a worse average, more interceptions despite being bailed out of one and a slightly (4 points) higher QBR than Hoyer. Combine that with the fact that Stidham has been on this team for over a year and can’t beat our a guy who is universally considered to be at best a back up.

why are you guys arguing this play when the biggest game changing play happened when the moron ref called "in the grasp" on that fumble by Mahomes? A Pats defender picked it up and had a clear path to the end zone and an easy score. THAT ridiculous call changed the course of the game right there. The Edelman non catch came way later in the game when the pressure was ramped up and Hoyer was replaced. Sure it would have been nice if Edelman made the play but it pales in comparison to the absolute rip job the screwy ref pulled on the Pats WAY earlier.

Not going to lie, talking about our future QB is kinda fun and this is very new to me. I forgot bad QB play was a thing...

Like I said in another post, every team that doesn’t have a rock solid elite QB has at one point or another famously had some prospect on the bench that people irrationally believed in because of no other reason than he was signed with the team and had a hard time letting go of the dream on until it was beyond argument that he was never going to be that guy.

Stidham had one good throw and multiple disaster our throws. Stidham finished with a worse passer rating, a worse completion percentage, a worse average, more interceptions despite being bailed out of one and a slightly (4 points) higher QBR than Hoyer. Combine that with the fact that Stidham has been on this team for over a year and can’t beat our a guy who is universally considered to be at best a back up.

for example Stidham had a QBR 21 points higher than Cam against the raiders. The guy had almost no reps for a month and Bill put him in the game basically saying go ahead save us. From what I understand to qualified Stidham as ok he has to put Brady’s level number.

I will wait for him to play at least one full game before judging if he sucks or if he is ok.

Matthieu was a good 5 yards away from Edelman when the ball was thrown and barely at arm's reach when the ball got there. We've seen Edeam break tackles like that time and time again. If he catches it cleanly he has a chance to break it and get 5-8 yards on the play, I think that's why he was trying to cut inside while making the catch
I don’t think you realize that you’re making my point for me. Do you have any idea how quickly a five yard gap closes in the NFL? Especially for a talent like Matthieu, who had already shut Edelman down throughout the contest? Furthermore, why would Stidham take full blame for the play if it’s a ball that should have been thrown in the first place?

for example Stidham had a QBR 21 points higher than Cam against the raiders. The guy had almost no reps for a month and Bill put him in the game basically saying go ahead save us. From what I understand to qualified Stidham as ok he has to put Brady’s level number.

I will wait for him to play at least one full game before judging if he sucks or if he is ok.
QBR is and has always been a **** stat.

Cam vs the Raiders had a higher completion percentage, a passer rating that was was 73.8 compared to Stidham’s 39.4,a higher average per throw, and rushed 27 yards which included a major first down that basically iced the game.

why are you guys arguing this play when the biggest game changing play happened when the moron ref called "in the grasp" on that fumble by Mahomes? A Pats defender picked it up and had a clear path to the end zone and an easy score. THAT ridiculous call changed the course of the game right there. The Edelman non catch came way later in the game when the pressure was ramped up and Hoyer was replaced. Sure it would have been nice if Edelman made the play but it pales in comparison to the absolute rip job the screwy ref pulled on the Pats WAY earlier.
No doubt. We got ****ed on that one. Even considering that, we at least didn’t get blown out. I thought for sure we would given the lack of practice and our two, uh, “options” at QB. Defense looked great until they were gassed.

This loss could be a blessing in disguise. Shows for certainty that Hoyer/maybe even Stid can't get us deep enough this or maybe even next season. If I'm Kraft/Belichick, i'm hoping Cam stays healthy and we can agree on an extension.

Not going to lie, talking about our future QB is kinda fun and this is very new to me. I forgot bad QB play was a thing...
It’s not fun when you realize these are the same conversations nearly half the league has and it almost always goes the same way

like Stidham would say in a press conference that it was 100% Edelman’s fault. It is like a poster using Bill saying he started Hoyer because it was best for the team in a press conference to justify Hoyer starting. That’s crazy. Stidham said what a good leader should say.
Stidham could have just as easily said something like “we need to improve on our communication. We’ll go back and look at the tape.” Something that Brady and other Patriots have historically said. He had no need to take the blame for that. He did because he knew the INT was on him.

Stidham could have just as easily said something like “we need to improve on our communication. We’ll go back and look at the tape.” Something that Brady and other Patriots have historically said. He had no need to take the blame for that. He did because he knew the INT was on him.
If Brady didn’t think he made a bad throw he wouldn’t have specifically blamed himself or explicitly called out the ball placement. He wouldn’t have thrown Edelman under the bus, but you are right, he would have given a non answer

I don’t think you realize that you’re making my point for me. Do you have any idea how quickly a five yard gap closes in the NFL? Especially for a talent like Matthieu, who had already shut Edelman down throughout the contest? Furthermore, why would Stidham take full blame for the play if it’s a ball that should have been thrown in the first place?
Because he's trying to be a leader and take the blame even when it's not his fault lol

You're saying he shouldn't have even thrown the ball, and he's saying he should have thrown it, just better. My opinion is I'm ok with the throw, ok with where it was, not ok with Edelman failing to catch it while getting two hands on the ball and tipping it to the defender. He tried to give his WR a chance to make a play, and he didn't. **** happens

It’s not fun when you realize these are the same conversations nearly half the league has and it almost always goes the same way
I've been gifted an amazing 13 years. Started watching in mid 2007. Never experienced under 10 losses, 6 superbowl appearances, 3 wins and many AFCCGs. No sport fan deserves to be given this much success immediately. I will always be grateful and I can deal with some losing seasons/unknown situations like QB for a while. I'll always wish for wins, but man... this doesn't even feel natural seeing us win this much. I love this team

What is more important:

Having a #2 QB who knows the system?
or
Having a #2 QB who can complete passes in a game?

If I was the owner, I’d rather pay Hoyer assistant coach wages than a #2 QB salary given his inability to be a game day QB.

The pick-6 was on Edelman. Clear as day. If Edelman can make that catch circus catch against the Fail-cons, he damn sure can catch a routine flat route. Stop making excuses for him.

Because he's trying to be a leader and take the blame even when it's not his fault lol

You're saying he shouldn't have even thrown the ball, and he's saying he should have thrown it, just better. My opinion is I'm ok with the throw, ok with where it was, not ok with Edelman failing to catch it while getting two hands on the ball and tipping it to the defender. He tried to give his WR a chance to make a play, and he didn't. **** happens
He could have just given a non-answer if he wanted to be a leader. He specifically took the blame. And no, you don’t make that throw with the Rover in the area and easily able to break on the ball. Better placement probably means a loss on the play vs a turnover.

What is more important:

Having a #2 QB who knows the system?
or
Having a #2 QB who can complete passes in a game?

If I was the owner, I’d rather pay Hoyer assistant coach wages than a #2 QB salary given his inability to be a game day QB.
This is everything!
I been pounding this point home give him a headset and and have him develop QB talent.
Some people can and those who can’t coach.

I’d say my preference would probably be Hoyer.

It kind of seems the choices are decision paralysis and inaccuracy vs interceptions - at least that's how I see it. Hoyer is supposed to be game manager personified - low/no risk, but not so much so that there's likewise no way to score which is basically what happened last night. Stidham is the (essentially) rookie that frankly is going to make mistakes some of them pretty boneheaded (because no one else is the GOAT which greatly colors our perceptions and expectations round here).

It's a Hobson's choice, got it, but one that has to be made. I guess I'm more of a risk taker as the kind of inaction I saw tonight from Hoyer to me is way worse than making the attempt. First read not there, throw the ball twenty feet over the head of somebody in the back of the end zone.

I'll take seeing a guy wide open on the post and missing the throw while getting hit over that going into the Denver game. (we simply disagree on the Jules INT and see it differently hence using the other example).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back