PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Post Game Day Thread- Pats beat the Jets

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

They called it all the time with Zappe. Why wouldn't they with Mac? My guess is his pocket awareness and blitz recognition is terrible. They are trying to give him as good a view of the field as they can. He's just not processing that well.

If he's under shotgun he sees the defense the entire time. Under center he has to take a mental snapshot, then turn around and immediately reconfirm what he thought he saw. I dont think he's doing that well and the coaches know that. The problem is, he's not throwing well enough or playing well enough to overcome the huge benefit you get from PA

Many of us have been asking why they have been calling different plays for Zappe rather than Jones all week. But Jones did very with play action last year. And play action under center.

You’d have to ask Patricia why he doesnt run it more. Today it could be the Jets have such a fast pass rush and the o-line struggled and they didn’t want Mac to turn his back to the defense on passing plays because of it.

Jones had a poor first half. Props to him for the toughness to get up after that hit, though.

The second half was better from him. The timing was better, rhythm was better. Unfortunately in longer yardage situations and when under pressure, he still seems to not operate well in the pocket and not see the field well, miss open guys, square his hips and drop his eyes. The turnovers and being turnover prone continues to be an issue, too.

That said, the OL was pretty rough. T play was better but still not great. Ferentz actually held up alright. Strange had some struggles. The OL was not good, although I'm not sure if it was quite as bad as it was against Chicago.

It still just seems to me - questionable OL play aside - that Zappe does a better job of feeling the angles/leverage pass-rushers are taking and playing off of that to create time/space while keeping his eyes downfield, whereas Jones seems to drop his eyes and run himself into more pressure.

Above all else, I'm glad the team came out with a win. Wilson didn't hurt, but big props to the defense and special teams. Run defense was much better. Physical, hard hitting. Jabrill Peppers had a fantastic game; he had an EPIC block on Jones' big punt return.

Never a bad day when the Patriots beat the Jets.

What's weird is that I remember an announcer from an earlier game said that Zappe had to really practice playing under center in camp and preseason because he rarely did it in college, but I wonder if I'm misremembering that.
Zappe is almost better at Mac for everything they do in this offense so far from live games. But they have to give their 1st rd pick a chance I guess

Not to bring some optimism to this thread, but I thought that drive in the third period where thePats picked up the pace was a thing of beauty. More of that, please.

Many of us have been asking why they have been calling different plays for Zappe rather than Jones all week. But Jones did very with play action last year. And play action under center.

You’d have to ask Patricia why he doesnt run it more. Today it could be the Jets have such a fast pass rush and the o-line struggled and they didn’t want Mac to turn his back to the defense on passing plays because of it.
Mac hasn't been running it all year, not just today. I haven't charted the plays, but I'm betting bad things happen when Mac is under center this year

OK... so maybe we'll go back to the draft and get lucky, where the vast majority of teams haven't.

When I said look at the other QBs, I meant it.

Wilson, 3 INTs. Lawrence, 2 INTs.
What do they have to do with Mac. They’re playing like crap too then, and?

Mac needs to go.
I think that's too precipitous a view. I myself think Zappe has by ANY reasonable measure outplayed Mac this year, and I would have started Zappe today. But they do have an investment in Mac, and I think they need a little more evidence (not much, tbh) before responsibly discarding him as a bust.

Don’t be mad bro, he suxks it is what it is. I like him his attitude but he’s not a good qb.

Not mad, "bro," you just have no clue what you're looking at. BTW, New England WON today, thanks largely to a Jones clutch scoring pass on fourth down. But wow, that must "suck."

What do they have to do with Mac. They’re playing like crap too then, and?
Young Qbs, ALL OF THEM THROWING LOTS OF INGTS AND PLAYING CRAPPY. Ours at least is accurate.

By the way, I didn't list one or two other guys, but at least 10 of them.

The guys playing really well are vets in this league.

Mac hasn't been running it all year, not just today. I haven't charted the plays, but I'm betting bad things happen when Mac is under center this year

Then that is on Patricia because his completion percentage went up 10% points when he did play action and had a near perfect passer rating. He literally completed over 77% of his passes last year in play action.

The Krafts need to be making plans. When this season's over Bill gets called in and and gets the word - HIRE SOME GD PROFESSIONAL COACHES! If He says " I keep my coaches or I walk" they need to be in a position to show him the door.
The fact that you think you're being smart by saying that Patricia and Judge aren't "professional coaches" when they've part a part of NUMEROUS Patriots SB runs shows how ridiculous you are.

Now, I'm not saying that Patricia and Judge are in the right coaching positions. I don't believe they are. I wanted someone else to take over the Pats Oline because Yates with (Bricillo) didn't do a great job last year and Patricia hadn't coached O-line in over a decade.

Judge excelled as the Special Teams coach. He does have experience on offense though it was in college and only as the back-up. He should have spent a year as an understudy, IMHO.

I'd much rather see Nick Caley calling plays.

Mac can't get all the blame for this. He wasn't great, he made 2 bad throws, but him having to take 6 sacks and throw 20 laterals for WR screens that did nothing is not his fault. The OL sucked. The play calling only proved that Patricia is either schizophrenic or anti-Mac.
And a lot of blame to put on BB too. The decision to just 3&out the entire 4th qtr trying play safe is ridiculous. We won't win another game if that's the offensive game plan.

A sliver of hope remains. The difference in this game was that pick6 taken off the board. Mac easily could have been the qb throwing desperation interceptions late in the game. Mac really needs to get it together. I honestly believe Mac currently is the worst qb on our team and is probably playing worse than what even Hoyer could give us if he were available.

Special teams were much better this week. Folk was money and the punts weren't short.

Lastly, I hope Parker is fine but I honestly think it was a blessing he didn't play. This was a tight game for awhile and I feel Mac would have floated an interception in Parker's direction at some point.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back