PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official Pats/Dolphins Post Game Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could it be a confidence thing? Ever since choking that Colts game, this team has played very poorly. Even in the Jets game...the only reason we won that was because of Sancehz's 4 gift INT's.

Maybe not making the playoffs again would be a good thing for the team. Perhaps that will show BB that major changes need to be made. We NEED a pass rush, and if we aren't going to have one we NEED a shutdown CB. But then again, even if we had a shutdown CB he would play 10 yards off the WR for the quick completion.

I'm just frustrated. My eyes are telling me something and either BB doesn't see it or he is thinking it will fix itself. I KNOW he's not dumb enough to not see it, so...

IMO its a confidence thing. from the coaching staff down...they are are all searching for the right identity and rhythm for this team and cant find one...

trying not to be negative. we still have a one game lead on the division with four to play. Carolina is up next. personally, I would not want to make playoffs... retool this defense and take it from there.

The secondary has already been revamped. You don't want to replace Warren or Wilfork, and 2/3 of the linebackers are 2nd year players.

This notion that the defense needs to be retooled is just a way of excusing the current level of team play. The team actually brought in someone who's been pretty good at getting outside pressure, in TBC. The problem is that the team shipped out the only D-lineman that could be counted on to get pressure and draw consistent double teams.

It's not about retooling at this point. It's about avoiding stupid moves like the Seymour trade going forward and making up for those mistakes which have already been made.

whoever called that "stretch play!!!" to Maroney late in the 4th quarter needs to be summarily lined up against a wall and shot by firing squad.

other than that...why complain

I have never said anything like this before, but enough is enough. My eyes don't lie, this team isn't playing up to its potential and Ultimately it falls on BB. He apparently thought he could get by with no real OC, and a team without a pass rush he was wrong.

We went the entirety of 2005 without an OC. The difference is that Brady wasn't coming back from a major injury AND trying to acclimate to a new coach.

As for not having a pass rush. The team could only do so much.. It was a calculated risk that he took, yes, when he traded Seymour. But reality is that Seymour is not the same player as a 4-3 DE as he is in the 3-4. He doesn't have Dwight Freeney speed to come off the ends..

On defense, I see two issues.

1) Still lacking 2 quality well-rounded LBers to put on the field in the 3-4 as OLBs or in the 4-3 as DEs.

2) The lack of experience on defense.

On offense:

1) Lack of consistent blocking by the O-line
2) A QB Coach that Brady has confidence in.
3) Lack of confidence in the running game even though its shown an ability to get the job done.

The secondary has already been revamped. You don't want to replace Warren or Wilfork, and 2/3 of the linebackers are 2nd year players.

This notion that the defense needs to be retooled is just a way of excusing the current level of team play. The team actually brought in someone who's been pretty good at getting outside pressure, in TBC. The problem is that the team shipped out the only D-lineman that could be counted on to get pressure and draw consistent double teams.

It's not about retooling at this point. It's about avoiding stupid moves like the Seymour trade going forward and making up for those mistakes which have already been made.

There is only one player who is getting consistent pressure and that is TBC. Burgess is long in the tooth. and the priority is Mankins and Wilfork as far as our FA's are concerned.

We went the entirety of 2005 without an OC. The difference is that Brady wasn't coming back from a major injury AND trying to acclimate to a new coach.

As for not having a pass rush. The team could only do so much.. It was a calculated risk that he took, yes, when he traded Seymour. But reality is that Seymour is not the same player as a 4-3 DE as he is in the 3-4. He doesn't have Dwight Freeney speed to come off the ends..

On defense, I see two issues.

1) Still lacking 2 quality well-rounded LBers to put on the field in the 3-4 as OLBs or in the 4-3 as DEs.

2) The lack of experience on defense.

On offense:

1) Lack of consistent blocking by the O-line
2) A QB Coach that Brady has confidence in.
3) Lack of confidence in the running game even though its shown an ability to get the job done.

I agree with you on the running game the most. Maroney runs the ball pretty effectively and then is taken out of the game.. I just don't understand the logic..

Wow. Hate to have to use the ignore function but this one's tipped me over the edge. Hard to be remotely positive after a loss like that obviously but some of the overreaction, disrespect, outright negativity and plain stupidity on display is ridiculous.

Not much to say about the performance that hasn't already been said. This team's in a really tough spot, with seemingly an ever-lengthening list of problems or faults. The refrain all season has been about how they'll get back in the groove or they'll learn, but things seem to be going in the opposite direction if anything.

It's not the end of the world. Due criticism is entirely fair but now's not the time to be dismissing Brady as past-it, uninterested or second-tier, now's not the time to dismiss BB as devoid of his marbles or finished. Perspective needed.

If the focus is an AFC East title- yes.

Not sure what your point is, crowell....:confused:

Sorry. What I meant was, with literally zero (0) wins at an opponents stadium all season, and zero wins all season against teams with a winning record, its hard for me to think about the playoffs.

There is only one player who is getting consistent pressure and that is TBC. Burgess is long in the tooth. and the priority is Mankins and Wilfork as far as our FA's are concerned.

I understand that, and it's why the Seymour trade was such a poor decision. This team is 'set' with

Wilfork
Warren
Mayo
Guyton
Bodden/Wilhite/Butler/Wheatley/Springs
Meriweather/McGowan/Chung/Sanders

which only leaves 1-2 linebacker spots and 1-2 DL spots, depending on which formation is the base.

The problem isn't a need for retooling, because the retooling was done. The problem was poor trade choices (Vrabel [fairly well overcome by TBC, but that wasn't enough], Seymour, Burgess) and player inexperience, compounded by Taylor's decision to go to Miami, the decision not to bring in other linebackers and to switch to the 4-3, and the injuries to the round 3 linebackers.

At least, that's how I see it.

lot of times its brady...more than once he changed the play at the line to go deep to moss..

Thats where a good OC/coaching/play-calling can get Brady back on that path to good decision-making and a rythem going. He did throw for 350+ yards....

Clearly, Brady has the experience to recognize where the favorable matchups are and make the proper read accordingly. Obviously, he made some awful throws today. For example, the Moss end-zone throw was putrid. But what was the actual play? Did he change it or run it-as-called by O'Brien.

I just wish I knew what the root-cause is to their difficulties- especially in the 2nd 1/2.

Last edited:
Sorry. What I meant was, with literally zero (0) wins at an opponents stadium all season, and zero wins all season against teams with a winning record, its hard for me to think about the playoffs.

Yea I'm with you on that. It certainly is disconcerting and tough to be optomistic with what happened today...

I think BB is a great coach, trying to do to much. I think he needs a little help. The OC needs to go.

BB is the defacto OC, though he's letting O'Brien call the Offensive plays.

Again, I stated in a thread earlier in the week that I didn't think Brady was 100% (I never stated whether I meant physically or mentally, yet there was a plethora of assumption making people) and I think we saw it again today. And I believe that his not having a QB coach who he is comfortable with (this is O'Brien's 1st year as QB coach) has truly had an ill-affect on Brady. He needs to get ahold of his HS coach and get his head back in the game..

I'm starting to think the string of bad losses and bad luck stemming back from the Super Bowl loss have mentally drained the veterans on this team -- no fire, no confidence, no focus -- and the young players don't have any leadership among their ranks to focus around in lieu of it.

I think Brady, Moss and Belichick are all dealing with PTSD of a sort, and the team is in shambles because of it.

I'm really, really depressed in saying this, but I'm thinking the Giants and Pollard may very well have killed the dynasty. :(

I'm starting to think the string of bad losses and bad luck stemming back from the Super Bowl loss have mentally drained the veterans on this team -- no fire, no confidence, no focus -- and the young players don't have any leadership among their ranks to focus around in lieu of it.

I think Brady, Moss and Belichick are all dealing with PTSD of a sort, and the team is in shambles because of it.

I'm really, really depressed in saying this, but I'm thinking the Giants and Pollard may very well have killed the dynasty. :(

It's a little early for this kind of thing. Look at what is happening to the defending champions this year. Things happen. Its difficult to be the best team every year.

Somebody needs to be cut ... to wake up the team ... may I recommend:

kaczur.jpg

Somebody needs to be cut ... to wake up the team ... may I recommend:

kaczur.jpg

The RT didn't decide to give the ball to the upback on 4th and less than a yard, and the RT wasn't the player who failed to get enough push on that play to make up for the poor play call.

If you want to vent about 'firing' someone, fire the non-existent OC for not giving the ball to Maroney with a fullback again on that play, and fire Mankins for not getting enough movement on the line for the runner to gain the first down.

Last edited:
Yeah the 4th and 1 call looms large as a serious head scratcher to me. That was your biggest mistake, IMO.

Great game guys! We always seem to play such close games!!! My heart cant take these, lol...

What are your guys thoughts on Henne. Any of you guys think this kid can be a good one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe