PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Pats at Bills Playoff Pregame Discussion Thread

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
2° at 9 pm, 20mph wind gusts, RealFeel® -10°

This will be worse than the playoff game against the Titans.

Zach Piller went from, "The Patriots suck, I'd be embarrassed to lose to that collection of no-talents" to "I'm freaking out, I can't feel my feet."
Sounds like a good day for the league to measure some ball PSI data and let us know what they found. :)

Yeah I think people just have a negative reaction to Eagle because he was paired with Fouts for so long, and Fouts was absolutely horrible. Eagle was rarely the problem. Now that he's on with Charles Davis, it's a big improvement. While I don't think the Eagle/Davis combo is particularly great overall, it is certainly bearable and they don't actively irritate me.
Eagle needs to pronounce his name properly, it weirdly bugs the hell out of me lol. I-in is a not a name.

I took a lot of criticism for suggesting it in the game one Bills thread, but I still believe BB has saved his best strategies for this third game.

Specifically on defense you saw it on the last play of the game in Buffalo.

Everyone screaming that they did not pressure Josh Allen enough in game 2 will be happy. The surprises planned on offense can be discussed in the Josh McDaniels is too conservative thread.

It's a marathon, not a sprint.

This is absolutely stupid as shi.t. Yes let’s NOT win the division and throw away at least one home game on the off chance we see the Bills again if the seeding falls just right.

With sub-freezing temps, the gameplan will likely be like the first matchup. This will be about toughness in the trenches.
If our OL can dominate their DL, we can run, control the clock, and use the pass to loosen them up and have some big strikes downfield.
If Dugger and Phillips can scare the WR's with some big hits early, and same when Allen scrambles - we'll get the mental advantage.
It's really all about containing Allen in the run game.

First playoff game in 2 yrs and this is the excitement level of the fan board?
Ive been to funerals with more kick.

And it doesnt even require optimism to say Pats have every chance to take the Bills...

This is absolutely stupid as shi.t. Yes let’s NOT win the division and throw away at least one home game on the off chance we see the Bills again if the seeding falls just right.

It's not throw away any game.

Bill has shown over the years that he believes if the team can't beat a division opponent multiple ways, they are going to fall short when it counts the most. Especially when you don't have the best card, Tom Brady.

And it doesnt even require optimism to say Pats have every chance to take the Bills...
You make a very good point and hopefully the game plan this time will be better than the last meeting.

weather update for Saturday night.... stay tuned as things can change fast:

I saw this on social media and don't know if it is true, but it SOUNDS true:

The Patriots defense is 4th worst in the NFL in the 1st quarter. They are 2nd best in the NFL the rest of the game.

How can we avoid the crappy "feeling out" conservative starts?

Agree completely, not surprised by this They start off like sh.t way too often, but once they have a sense of what the offensive game plan is they settle in and play very well. I’m not sure what they can do about it but I’m sure Belichick is trying to figure out what he can do.

I just hope we throw the ball down the field more and let Mac Jones sling it. Frustrating to watch that we only open it up when we are down double digits.

You can only throw it downfield if receivers are beating their defenders immediately, and if the OL is holding up in pass protection, unfortunately neither has happened by with B enough consistency this season.

You can only throw it downfield if receivers are beating their defenders immediately, and if the OL is holding up in pass protection, unfortunately neither has happened by with B enough consistency this season.
Let's hope this is the game the offense gets it together.

I took a lot of criticism for suggesting it in the game one Bills thread, but I still believe BB has saved his best strategies for this third game.

Specifically on defense you saw it on the last play of the game in Buffalo.

Everyone screaming that they did not pressure Josh Allen enough in game 2 will be happy. The surprises planned on offense can be discussed in the Josh McDaniels is too conservative thread.

It's a marathon, not a sprint.
So they blew their chance at a division title because they're saving their best plays for a playoff game that may or may not happen?

Reiss does not sound that optimistic that Barmore will play on Saturday night :(

Reiss also thought that Barmore had an injury that not only would end his season, but affect his offseason. Not sure I would listen to him.

That said. I am betting on Barmore not playing on Saturday. Just a wild guess is that he has a bone bruise or a bruised knee that may be too much pain to play.

In the freezing cold at Buffalo, Pats win, defeat the Bills.
Mac suspended 4 games for deflating footballs.
Kravitz already has his tweet up and ready to click send when Kensil says so. :D

So they blew their chance at a division title because they're saving their best plays for a playoff game that may or may not happen?

Maybe. It's like running the ball up the middle on third and one.

You have to win most games straight up to win a title (added: especially with a rookie QB).

With sub-freezing temps, the gameplan will likely be like the first matchup. This will be about toughness in the trenches.
Freezing cold won’t affect the offensive game plan like extremely wet or windy conditions would. While it’s not fun to throw and catch the ball in those conditions, it isn’t actually much harder to do. Whereas if the conditions are wet or windy, it actually is harder to.

Multiple reason. Some or all may apply

1. The team is staggering into the playoffs
2. Expectations are low
3. A good part of the fan base demographic are pink hats
4. Their hero is in Tampa
5. New Englanders are a pessimistic bunch to begin with

You make a very good point and hopefully the game plan this time will be better than the last meeting.

1. This is the elimination game so in itself it would be very much different than the 1st 2 games.
2. Pats are getting Agholor back in re to 2nd BUF game, also Bourne who did not practice and entered the game late, most importantly - they get MONDRE back. Im all for next man up but this affects the game plan.
3. Harris is a different player on shared workload (c. 20 carries) esp. playing through some hammy issues - so bringing Mondre back also gives you better Harris and better chance to game plan to teams strengths.

4. On D they are getting HT back. He is not the same player as 2019 and had his ups and downs BUT he is still a very important player for how this D operates, how they design personnel packages, leadership on the field etc. You dont want to see Collins playing ILB again f.e. ;)
5. One key Q on D to me is not so much Barmore (as great as he was they have options there) but the availability of DUGGER. If he can go and at close to 100% id be feeling much better. They are very thin at DB and he is a KEY player both in run and pass game. And esp could be a key player containing ALLEN.
6. The other D question is slot CB. Bryant had some great moments but he was also exposed as matchup liability (TEN, 2.BUF). If they dont fix that it will be a long night..

Finally - the biggest disappointment of the year imo - Special teams. Dec/Jan was the worst NE ST stretch in a very long time. And it is across the board (except Folk). It was impossible for BB to play the complementary football game bc STs gave him nothing and only set him back. It is under the radar key issue for bad team performance lately. Bill was visibly frustrated with ST coach on several occasions. Hopefully St. Matthew pulls the groups together and they step up. So much is invested in this group so they better show up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick