PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Game Day Thread Official Pats at Bills Playoff Pregame Discussion Thread

THIS IS OUR LIVE GAME DAY THREAD:

This is where we gather to follow things on Game Day. Obviously, emotions tend to be high so if anyone gets a little crazy, the use of the “Mute” button is encouraged on anyone who may be annoying to you to control your experience and to allow the moderators to also enjoy the game.

At the same time, please take a deep breath before over-reacting for the sake of making this a pleasant experience for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lack of speed mostly.

There are many factors. The QB scramble is very frustrating because the secondary has done their job and the defense still gives up the 1st down. If the secondary is playing man-to-man their backs are facing the QB, with maybe the exception of the deep safeties, so man versus zone makes a big difference. If the pass rush stays in their lanes, it is much harder for the QB to escape, but then it is also harder to sack the QB. We used a spy (Van Noy) against Miami, which partially worked, but it is difficult for the spy to play both sides of the field. Speed helps for sure, but it is not the issue "mostly". Van Noy would be a better spy this week because Allen is stronger, but less shifty, than Tua. Uche would be a great spy too, size and speed, but I am not sure his "feel" for the game is great, like when to delay blitz, how to shadow versus rush, etc.

That little gift could potentially set up a return by the Conference Championship - but that would require two playoff wins. I've enjoyed the ride but that feels like a long-shot at this point so for now, I'm going to enjoy whatever games we have while it lasts. Otherwise, I'm just hoping for them to make it insanely competitive and if they could at least knock out Buffalo this weekend, that would be amazing.
No matter what happens it's been a good year qand I could never count them out. I overheard the cashier at the market this morning saying that she didn't like their chances. When my turn came I let her know that she was wrong. The retiree bagging the groceries agreed with me. :)

I'm a big fan of the running game, have been forever, so a repeat performance from our last shuffle off to Buffalo suits me just fine. Having already won up there should help their confidence.

Once again, the most amazing part of all is that, for the first time in years, both the Ravens and Colts are out of the playoffs and the Pats are in with a rookie QB. Deflate that my fellow Pats fans.

Yep. The LB corps is in desperate need for an upgrade in speed. Main reason why Bill has Phillips and Dugger out there at the same time and why he picked up Jamie. Jamie isn't as nimble as he used to but he brings more mobility and quickness to the position than High and KVN as they have different strengths. Bentley is a serviaable, gap plugger/downhill LB. Smaller Brandon Spikes.

It's pretty clear BB sees it the same way. Signing McMillan. Drafting McGrone. Drafting a in the box hitter like Bledsoe.

Agreed. Drafting Uche as well who ran down Tua last week. And letting JMac go.

I am curious about Bledsoe, interesting guy, they brought him off IR to practice with the team, and he played in the SEC and covered some of the faster WRs too, like the Alabama guys. Not sure Bledsoe is strictly an "in the box hitter". It seems like he has a good feel for the game, unlike Uche, so I am hopeful he can play more of a free safety. He does not have "younger McCourty speed", but knowing where to be can make up for that.

Reactions: Ian
Agreed. Drafting Uche as well who ran down Tua last week. And letting JMac go.

I am curious about Bledsoe, interesting guy, they brought him off IR to practice with the team, and he played in the SEC and covered some of the faster WRs too, like the Alabama guys. Not sure Bledsoe is strictly an "in the box hitter". It seems like he has a good feel for the game, unlike Uche, so I am hopeful he can play more of a free safety. He does not have "younger McCourty speed", but knowing where to be can make up for that.
Scouting reports seemed to think Bledsoe was more of a Chung type (box but can cover in short distances) so if he can do more i'm all for it.

The Pats need to do some things that the are good at on offense that the Bills won't be expecting. The Bills are going to sell out to stop the run and force Jones to throw. This will be the perfect time to use the play action far more. Jones is very good play action QB, but McDaniels rarely utilizes that skill. Time to use it. They did some in the second half against Miami with some pretty good results. Need to do it more.

Also, I will repeat, they need to get Bourne and Henry more involved in the offense (and not just the red zone for Henry). They are the Pats' two best receiver, but are used sparingly in favor of Meyers and Agholor. You get the ball in Bourne's hands and he can do dynamic things. On a play that the Bills sell outs on the run, do a play action quick pass to Bourne and watch him pick up an extra 10-15 or more yards easy.

If you start to pick apart their defense with the play action, they cannot sell out against the run anymore. They eight or nine in the box anymore. They have to drop a player or two into coverage. So then Harris, Stevenson, and Bolden can eat yards on the ground.

On defense, they have to be aggressive right off the bat. In the last game, they played a soft zone with a four man rush. The rush didn't work and Allen had 4-5 seconds to throw consistently. They can play zone, but they need to play more press zone. Bump his receivers off the line. And they have to manufacture more of pass rush. They need to mix it up more. A delayed blitz. A stunt. Disguise rushes. Move guys on and off the line presnap. Something. If they had the pass rush, the soft zone would work against Allen. But you give any QB 4-5 seconds to throw against a zone and someone is going to get open.

If the Pats are going to win, the Pats will need to outcoach the Bills. Vanilla zone defenses aren't going to cut it. I think just running the ball 30-40 will definitely get yards and get points, but I am not sure it will be enough to win. The Pats need to throw the Bills a curveball.
The Pats don't need to overthink things and can win by outplaying them, just as they did the last time they were there.

Allen is a great QB but has done more damage running than he should. His passes don't look as accurate as in the past and if the Pats stopped letting him run free, or punished him when he did, they could have success.

Go Pats !!!

2° at 9 pm, 20mph wind gusts, RealFeel® -10°

This will be worse than the playoff game against the Titans.

Zach Piller went from, "The Patriots suck, I'd be embarrassed to lose to that collection of no-talents" to "I'm freaking out, I can't feel my feet."
Is that who that was? It was pretty funny.

The truth is that no game in Buffalo should be played on any night. The same is true for night games in KC, but here we are with both of those games coming at night.

There are many factors. The QB scramble is very frustrating because the secondary has done their job and the defense still gives up the 1st down. If the secondary is playing man-to-man their backs are facing the QB, with maybe the exception of the deep safeties, so man versus zone makes a big difference. If the pass rush stays in their lanes, it is much harder for the QB to escape, but then it is also harder to sack the QB. We used a spy (Van Noy) against Miami, which partially worked, but it is difficult for the spy to play both sides of the field. Speed helps for sure, but it is not the issue "mostly". Van Noy would be a better spy this week because Allen is stronger, but less shifty, than Tua. Uche would be a great spy too, size and speed, but I am not sure his "feel" for the game is great, like when to delay blitz, how to shadow versus rush, etc.
Rush lane integrity is a problem but I think the Pats now play mostly zone, not man, so I’m not sure that’s an issue.

You’ve got to be kidding me?! That the dumbest question I’ve ever seen posted. “If our rookie starting QB struggles in the first few series of his first playoff game, do you want to destroy his confidence forever and completely give up on the guy and look for another QB in year 2, and instead give Brian Hoyer a chance, a guy who has a proven track record of requiring a diaper during playoff games?”
I suppose that's one way of letting me know what an ignored poster is saying.

My feeling is that our rookie QB may struggle in his first playoff game, but the Bills aren't that strong and can be beaten in spite of that possibility.

Scouting reports seemed to think Bledsoe was more of a Chung type (box but can cover in short distances) so if he can do more i'm all for it.

Not to get too excited about a 6th round pick, but if you read more I think the Pats might be thinking about playing Bledsoe at Free Safety.

Bledsoe was a 3-year starter at free safety in Ryan Walters’ 4-2-5 scheme. He spent plenty of time lining up in the slot as well.

Not to get too excited about a 6th round pick, but if you read more I think the Pats might be thinking about playing Bledsoe at Free Safety.

Bledsoe was a 3-year starter at free safety in Ryan Walters’ 4-2-5 scheme. He spent plenty of time lining up in the slot as well.
Yea he lined up all over place. Let's hope!

Rush lane integrity is a problem but I think the Pats now play mostly zone, not man, so I’m not sure that’s an issue.
Yep. Run lane discipline and lack of lateral quickness has been a major issue off the ball,

Understood. I legit don’t know the answer to this : but has Brown played any snaps at LT this season ? I don’t recall any. And if he did : it’s limited.
He has not, in games

Tickets as low as $28 on stub hub, WOW

My gut says they go with Herron, but I REALLY hope it's Brown and Onwenu at tackle.
Given that Brown has played a season as a LT in our system, I'd hope it would be feasible enough to get him back to it in a week of prep. He did play next to Thuney rather than Karras, but I would just hope there's some way for us to get our best guys out there.

Id like to se LT Brown RT Onwenu as well (since Wynn looks like a no go). The reason for LT Herron is not only about not touching established positions but to have Onwenu as jumbo monster (on both sides) which in this freezing run heavy game (like the first one) could be a game changer.

If you look at other jumbo options (incl Herron) - there's just not another decent run blocker there. I hoped Durant could at least be that but he looked beyond bad. Also unfortunately Pats dont have decent inline run blocking TE. If somebody like Gronk, Bennett or Allen were on the roster that would be another story.

One should prob first maximise run blocking on every down so i think LT Brown RT Onwenu is/was def in play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents