PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official (not rumors) 2013 NFL Free Agency Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope BB isn't confident in dowling..no reason to be

I'd have to think that he certainly isn't basing the potential success of the secondary on Dowling (or any other one player for that matter), but it's certainly not unreasonable to think that he already has the players to fill certain spots, and that Dowling will almost certainly be in that mix.

His overall talent and skillset isn't remotely the question, it's the fact that he was hurt. That said, I'm sure Belichick has seen these kinds of instances many times before and is very much in touch with the training staff and his own personal assessment.

The bottom line is that he may feel that we already have the bodies to compete and have depth at certain positions, where we as fans would have brought in a guy like Asomugah. He may see it as a pointless waste of money and resources though, and as much of a debate as it'd be we have to trust his opinion for roster and cap managing purposes.

It appears as though Belichick is confident that one/both of Dennard and Dowling will be able to start opposite of Talib, and that isn't even getting into the fact that Talib hasn't finished any of his past 3 seasons.

And/or he may be planning to take someone in the draft also.

There's always the possibility of course, that he just isn't too hot on Asomugah too, which may be the main reason, although I would've taken a chance on him at 3 million dollars myself.

There is absolutely no chance that Dennard does time during the season. I find it unlikely he will serve anytime at all but even if he had to they would allow him so surrender himself following the season.

I hope BB isn't confident in dowling..no reason to be

I think that this type of statement can really only be made if you have a full understanding of what is going on behind the scenes. If he is in Foxboro fully rehabbed and doing what it takes to be an NFL player then BB could very well be comfortable in going into the season with him in the top 4.

Last season moving McCourty back to CB despite Bedard saying they didn't want to makes me think Dowling entered camp injured with limited confidence from the coaches I think a lot of what we've done this offseason speaks to things being different (so far).

There is absolutely no chance that Dennard does time during the season. I find it unlikely he will serve anytime at all but even if he had to they would allow him so surrender himself following the season.

I'm certainly well aware of his sentencing guidelines etc which are next to nothing for a first time offender with a F3 count. The district attorney himself stated that Dennard would most likely see anything between no jail time and about 90 days (only 1/2 of which would be served).

Yes, reporting at the end of the season is certainly something they may allow him to do, as it the prospect of serving a month or so before minis and TC, if the sentence were 60 days or less.

Either way, he's definitely not missing seasonal time due to this matter.

I think that this type of statement can really only be made if you have a full understanding of what is going on behind the scenes. If he is in Foxboro fully rehabbed and doing what it takes to be an NFL player then BB could very well be comfortable in going into the season with him in the top 4.

Last season moving McCourty back to CB despite Bedard saying they didn't want to makes me think Dowling entered camp injured with limited confidence from the coaches I think a lot of what we've done this offseason speaks to things being different (so far).

I agree. For what it's worth Bedard's response to me was that it was the nagging injury concern that made them leery about keeping DMcC at FS (Dowling's uncertainty added to the overall lack of adequate depth at CB), so that likely goes hand in hand with your statement of "limited confidence." I don't however, think it had anything at all to do with his skillset or talent level, which seems to be excellent.

That sucks I really wanted him in NE

I would have thought that we may have added 1-2 DL players by now, as that and WR are obviously the two biggest weaknesses and question marks due to needing a talent/depth upgrade and contractual obligations which speak towards needed youth.

All of Ninkovich, Love, Pryor, Deaderick, Cunningham are due to become FA's at the end of the year, while Wilfork has another year after that. I can't see any scenario where we wouldn't see a DL and WR pick in 2 of our first 3-4 selections.

Belichick usually brings in a hefty handful of vets at both of these positions, but I thought he'd have pursued the DL with at least 1-2 players by now.

I would have thought that we may have added 1-2 DL players by now, as that and WR are obviously the two biggest weaknesses and question marks due to needing a talent/depth upgrade and contractual obligations which speak towards needed youth.

All of Ninkovich, Love, Pryor, Deaderick, Cunningham are due to become FA's at the end of the year, while Wilfork has another year after that. I can't see any scenario where we wouldn't see a DL and WR pick in 2 of our first 3-4 selections.

Belichick usually brings in a hefty handful of vets at both of these positions, but I thought he'd have pursued the DL with at least 1-2 players by now.

The cut Mosley lose today in Jacksonville wouldn't mind kicking his tires.

I agree. For what it's worth Bedard's response to me was that it was the nagging injury concern that made them leery about keeping DMcC at FS (Dowling's uncertainty added to the overall lack of adequate depth at CB), so that likely goes hand in hand with your statement of "limited confidence." I don't however, think it had anything at all to do with his skillset or talent level, which seems to be excellent.

His 2012 reminds me a lot of Cunningham's 2011 came in injured BB gave him a short leash and then IR'ed him.

I would have loved for the Pats to get Asomugh for what the 49ers gave him. Even for a fair bit more to entice him to come up north.

Armstead says hi.

Certainly debatable, but it would appear that Belichick may tend to agree with you.

I think that Love is an excellent rotational/depth player, but I feel as though Deaderick can be improved upon for sure. Either player should be seeing as much action as they do in my opinion, yet the only way to make that happen is to draft and/or bring in better competition. The lack of FA interest would lead one to believe that it will be targeted in the draft, possibly higher than many expect.

Oh, I absolutely agree. I think Love is a great rotational guy and Deaderick is a take him or leave him type. But I think the potential upgrades are either on the roster (Armstead, maybe Cunningham) or in the draft.

I would have loved for the Pats to get Asomugh for what the 49ers gave him. Even for a fair bit more to entice him to come up north.

Same here, even if Dennard is back for the season we still really could've used Asomugha. At full strength I think we're okay at CB but Talib and Dennard are never a sure thing, and Dowling is even less reliable. Really not sure why BB didn't jump at this but perhaps we'll find out.

Perhaps Arena players are next. Seriously, Armstead could be a great contributor. He also may not make the team. I think of him as an UDFA or a late round draft pick.

Armstead says hi.

Same here, even if Dennard is back for the season we still really could've used Asomugha. At full strength I think we're okay at CB but Talib and Dennard are never a sure thing, and Dowling is even less reliable. Really not sure why BB didn't jump at this but perhaps we'll find out.

It's possible he chose San Fran over New England for a variety of reasons. Still you'd think an extra million would have convinced him and that'd still be a good deal for one year. I would have liked the extra competition, but oh well. Maybe his dropoff in Philly was a fluke, maybe it was a sign of things to come. We'll see.

Perhaps Arena players are next. Seriously, Armstead could be a great contributor. He also may not make the team. I think of him as an UDFA or a late round draft pick.

I look at Armstead like Cannon. A mid round prospect who had a reason for not going higher. But I wasn't really trying to get in a debate about his skill level rather just pointing out that BB has at least done something to try and improve the position. Supafly said she thought we would have added one or two DLs and I thought it worth noting that we have and I feel its silly that no one seems to include Armstead in the discussion of our free agency this year.

OK

We indeed have Armstead, Vega, and Pryor as possible additions to the roster.

I don't think that it is silly not to include CFL and Arena league signings when discussing the nfl free agency process. CFL and Arena league players can be signed at any time and are not really part of the nfl free agency process.

Besides, Armstead was signed before the free agency period began.

I look at Armstead like Cannon. A mid round prospect who had a reason for not going higher. But I wasn't really trying to get in a debate about his skill level rather just pointing out that BB has at least done something to try and improve the position. Supafly said she thought we would have added one or two DLs and I thought it worth noting that we have and I feel its silly that no one seems to include Armstead in the discussion of our free agency this year.

OK

We indeed have Armstead, Vega, and Pryor as possible additions to the roster.

I don't think that it is silly not to include CFL and Arena league signings when discussing the nfl free agency process. CFL and Arena league players can be signed at any time and are not really part of the nfl free agency process.

Besides, Armstead was signed before the free agency period began.

Or rugby players. Or wrestling players. Or track stars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down