PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Official Draft Day LIVE Discussion Thread - Night 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to bed after Uche given the time difference to where I am at and woke up to two TEs appearing out of nowhere.

I guess I should have learned long ago not to look for patterns beyond "whats on the board is on the board" right @long distance ? So a big fat "L" for me on that. I still think @primetime's point about mismatches and not specifically about positions stands but at least there is some developmental talent in the pipeline now.

That being said.. happy to have jinxed it because I really like both of the TEs we picked. Hell, I like all picks to be honest.

Could they have added more on offense ? I guess but there are only so many skill position players that can be on the field at the same time and with Edelman/Sanu/Harry and Michel/White/Harris the WR and RB spots are firmly set for 2020. You add two TEs to the equation, some UDFAs plus the odd bargain signings and McDaniels will have enough flexibility to do many things. I doubt any one specific player would elevate this unit significantly. What will make or break it will be Stidham's ability to execute.

At the same time we have had a pretty good defense for a while and rejuvenating there will have a big impact on our ability to stay competitive in the next 2-3 years as various members of the 2010 Pats (e.g. DMac, Chung, HT) will slowly fade.

It will be fascinating to see how a COVID affected and presumably shortened (pre) season will affect the development of the class of 2020.

Last edited:
At least of these 3 WRs today, pretty please.

Proche (SMU)
Peoples-Jones (Michigan)
Watkins (Southern Miss)

This season is going to be HUGE for McDaniels.. No Scar. No Brady. The offense will all be on him..

An O-line of Wynn, Thuney, Andrews, Mason, Cannon should really improve the run game.. I wouldn't be surprised to see Michel in the 2018 Play-off form immediately.

The camp battle between Hoyer and Stidham is what will be interesting.

I really like our receivers in Edelman, Sanu, Meyers, and Harry. (I've not added Lee because the Patriots haven't announced the signing) Oszlewski is a dark horse, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him make the team again.. The kid has that "IT" factor, imho.. He reminds me so much of Edelman.

With the Patriots still having 6 picks the only "NEEDS" I see them having is at NT and Kicker. Everything else is "icing". That being said, I wouldn't be surprised to see an OC/OG and OT as well.

Half of the team that will play in December isnt even on the roster yet ;)

Went to bed after Uche given the time difference to where I am at and woke up to two TEs appearing out of nowhere.

I guess I should have learned long ago not to look for patterns beyond "whats on the board is on the board" right @long distance ? So a big fat "L" for me on that. I still think @primetime's point about it being about mismatches not not specifically about positions stands but at least there is some developmental talent in the pipeline now.

That being said.. happy to have jinxed it because I really like both of the TEs we picked. Hell, I like all picks to be honest.

Could they have added more on offense ? I guess but there are only so many skill position players that can be on the field at the same time and with Edelman/Sanu/Harry and Michel/White/Harris the WR and RB spots are firmly set for 2020. You add two TEs to the equation, some UDFAs plus the odd bargain signings and McDaniels will have enough flexibility to do many things. I doubt any one specific player would elevate this unit significantly. What will make or break it will be Stidham's ability to execute.

At the same time we have had a pretty good defense for a while and rejuvenating there will have a big impact on our ability to stay competitive in the next 2-3 years as various members of the 2010 Pats (e.g. DMac, Chung, HT) will slowly fade.

It will be fascinating to see how a COVID affected and presumably shortened (pre) season will affect the development of the class of 2020.

I actually liked both tight ends they selected as later round guys, both were on my shots worth taking list. This isn't Gronk and Hernandez, but they've got upside.

Grab a IOL (Sternberg, Lemieux are my favorites), kicker, and speedy receiver or two (Davis, Peoples-Jones, Mooney, Hightower, Reed, Gandy-Golden, Coulter, Mack) in later rounds and call it a good draft.

Last edited:
As FightingIrish said, he played all last year after wrecking his knee 2 yrs ago. So it looks good right now.
Sony is in a make or break season.

It makes no sense to keep him of he struggles like last season.

I guess I should have learned long ago not to look for patterns beyond "whats on the board is on the board" right @long distance ? So a big fat "L" for me on that. I still think @primetime's point about mismatches and not specifically about positions stands but at least there is some developmental talent in the pipeline now.

I wouldn't sleep on Meyers or even Gunner for that matter. Not dominant by any means but both showed they are ballers.

When Gunner was gone (IR - edited @Clonamery ) so was Pats punt return that was a weapon.

No punt return, no trusted kicker, no FB, no TE was a lot to overcome for an offense predicated on running game/play action..

edit/ps:

One interesting “pattern“ thing to monitor: with new QB it will be interesting to see if young receivers will get more chance to make plays..

Last edited:
I wouldn't sleep on Meyers or even Gunner for that matter. Not dominant by any means but both showed they are ballers.

When Gunner was waived, so was Pats punt return that was a weapon.

No punt return, no trusted kicker, no FB, no TE was a lot to overcome for an offense predicated on running game/play action..
Gunner wasn’t waived, he was IR’d in mid November.

People were saying its a wr deep draft. Deep enough to get a decent one in the 5th?

When Gunner was gone (IR - edited @Clonamery ) so was Pats punt return that was a weapon.

edit/ps:

One interesting “pattern“ thing to monitor: with new QB it will be interesting to see if young receivers will get more chance to make plays..

I don't recall Olszewski doing anything of note. Then again, tough to go from D3 to the NFL at a position you didn't even play in college. I suspect they probably think more highly of him than we do.

People were saying its a wr deep draft. Deep enough to get a decent one in the 5th?

Yeah, there are about five or six guys left who might have been late 2nds or 3rds if they were in last year's draft.

I don't recall Olszewski doing anything of note. Then again, tough to go from D3 to the NFL at a position you didn't even play in college. I suspect they probably think more highly of him than we do.
He was top 10 in PR ave. He was more than holding his own.

I actually liked both tight ends they selected as later round guys, both were on my shots worth taking list. This isn't Gronk and Hernandez, but they've got upside.

Grab a IOL (Sternberg, Lemieux are my favorites), kicker, and speedy receiver or two (Davis, Peoples-Jones, Mooney, Hightower, Reed, Gandy-Golden, Coulter, Mack) in later rounds and call it a good draft.

OL - I like Pollard, the Clemson C, as a 6-7 round pick or UDFA. Has potential to play all 5 positions and a lot of what is wrong with him can be fixed/improved.

It looks like they will throw a pick at the WR position, but Im done hoping for miracle.

Best chance for the Pats to add WR talent is going to be players who are the victims of roster cut downs.

In the Pats system all new receivers have a huge hill to climb. It isn’t really plug and play. In fact, at most positions you need to be there a year before you know enough to be a real contributor.

I like Gunner's moxy but if he gets hurt for a long time again or fumbles another punt his career is done.

In the Pats system all new receivers have a huge hill to climb. It isn’t really plug and play. In fact, at most positions you need to be there a year before you know enough to be a real contributor.

Who knows if that was partly with Brady as QB icing certain players out. I have a feeling Meyer will have a decent year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST