PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Official Draft Day LIVE Discussion Thread - Night 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have no problem with any of the picks, just somewhat confused on why they feel the need to trade up for these guys...

images
When BB does that it means the player is high or highest on his board
I don't recall Olszewski doing anything of note. Then again, tough to go from D3 to the NFL at a position you didn't even play in college. I suspect they probably think more highly of him than we do.

When Gunner was returning punts, our Punt Return DVOA was 6th in the league, up from 17th in 2018. After he got hurt, we finished the year at 12th. All that without Gunner ever quite breaking a long one -- although it looked like he was as likely to break himself as a breaking long return.

I wouldn't sleep on Meyers or even Gunner for that matter. Not dominant by any means but both showed they are ballers.

When Gunner was gone (IR - edited @Clonamery ) so was Pats punt return that was a weapon.

No punt return, no trusted kicker, no FB, no TE was a lot to overcome for an offense predicated on running game/play action..

edit/ps:

One interesting “pattern“ thing to monitor: with new QB it will be interesting to see if young receivers will get more chance to make plays..

Not discounting Meyers or Gunner but decided to stick with the top 3 for WR and RB because those are as close you will get to roster locks.

I think there are enough toys for McDaniels to put together an above average offense with the QB's play being a multiplier on top of that. In which direction will be up to Stid/Hoyer.

In the Pats system all new receivers have a huge hill to climb. It isn’t really plug and play. In fact, at most positions you need to be there a year before you know enough to be a real contributor.

A huge hill to climb when Brady was in charge, because of his mastery of the intricacy of the EP system we use.

I think it'll be different with Stidham. His grasp of the EP is only one year old.

Who knows if that was partly with Brady as QB icing certain players out. I have a feeling Meyer will have a decent year.

You won’t get an argument from me on Brady. Idk about Meyers. Hard to tell.

I don't recall Olszewski doing anything of note. Then again, tough to go from D3 to the NFL at a position you didn't even play in college. I suspect they probably think more highly of him than we do.

There was a great article about him recently. He flat out stated he was shocked at how much stronger he needed to get. Football strong is what he said and that he is working on it very hard. So I have high hopes.

When did Sanu **** up his ankle, was it during the Ravens game?

I think we’ll try to move up the board today as well. Give a 5th & 6th to move up into the 4th, then a 6th & 7th to move up to the 5th. I think that still leaves us with 2 6ths.

We'll see about that this upcoming season in Tampa. Prepare to eat your words.

I am not cheering for him to win a ring (unless the Bucs play a team in the SB that I can’t stand) but I wish him well.

We’ll see who is right and who is wrong. I didn’t see physical deterioration from Brady related to age. Did you?

I saw a QB who could not get in synch with two rookie receivers, literal trash at TE and spent most of the season behind a backup LT who was woefully unprepared to protect his blindside. I think it was circumstances far more than a physical decline. But if you noticed a physical decline I’d love to hear your analysis. I’ve yet to see anyone provide any evidence of a decline.
Over the final 8 games last year brady completed 55% of his passes for less than 6 yards an attempt and a QB rating under 80.

Over the final 8 games last year brady completed 55% of his passes for less than 6 yards an attempt and a QB rating under 80.

Yeah, I don't think it was just the receivers or line or whatever. The line was perfectly fine after Wynn returned. Brady missed passes he used to make. Time started creeping up on him in 2018 (witness the Super Bowl) and came at him with a vengeance last year.

I am not cheering for him to win a ring (unless the Bucs play a team in the SB that I can’t stand) but I wish him well.

The GOAT should retire. He has great receivers but he doesn’t have a LT in Tampa and he only has Wirfs on the right side. He’s in slight decline mentally and physically and that won’t get better. Probably the most durable QB ever, but it wouldn’t shock me if he got seriously injured given his age.

Yeah, I don't think it was just the receivers or line or whatever. The line was perfectly fine after Wynn returned. Brady missed passes he used to make. Time started creeping up on him in 2018 (witness the Super Bowl) and came at him with a vengeance last year.
Whatever other reason you want to blame the fact is that he has never played like that in his career. Not in 06 not in 13 not in 15 when the while offense was injured.
And he’s 43. I love brady as much as it more than anyone. He is unquestionably the GOAT and is probably never going to lose that title. But he is 43. It’s just not realistic to think he can still be what he was at 38.

In the Pats system all new receivers have a huge hill to climb. It isn’t really plug and play. In fact, at most positions you need to be there a year before you know enough to be a real contributor.

I'm not really sure about this. Most of the guys who have been successful as Patriots receivers or tight ends have at least showed something in their first year with the team, even if there's a process of acclimation. The best free agents have integrated immediately. Hernandez and Gronk started displaying signs of dominance. Branch was really good until he got hurt. Even Edelman had 37 catches his rookie season. Of the notable Patriots receivers of the last two decades, only David Givens was a homegrown guy who did nothing (other than drop a pass that would have gotten them into the playoffs probably) his rookie year.

That's not to say it's impossible. Especially this year. For the first time in a lifetime we've got a brand new starting QB week 1. Things are going to be different.

The GOAT should retire. He has great receivers but he doesn’t have a LT in Tampa and he only has Wirfs on the right side. He’s in slight decline mentally and physically and that won’t get better. Probably the most durable QB ever, but it wouldn’t shock me if he got seriously injured given his age.

He's a proud guy. He's been criticized as a "system QB" for years, so this is his chance to show everyone he can do it under 2 different coaches. I have no doubt that if BB retired years ago and the Pats won another Super Bowl under a new coach that Brady would have just retired.

He's a proud guy. He's been criticized as a "system QB" for years, so this is his chance to show everyone he can do it under 2 different coaches. I have no doubt that if BB retired years ago and the Pats won another Super Bowl under a new coach that Brady would have just retired.

Maybe. I think it’s s bit of an unfair criticism for someone to say he proved he’s just a system QB if he struggles in Tampa at 43 years old.

And BB preferred them to others who were available. Such as Trautman.
For what it's worth, the Packers also passed on Trautman, picking Degura who CBS had ranked 307

Last edited:
Maybe. I think it’s s bit of an unfair criticism for someone to say he proved he’s just a system QB if he struggles in Tampa at 43 years old.

I agree, but you saw in 2018 how personally he takes media criticism. He was playing the "I'm too old" card throughout the playoffs. Sensitivity to what others think has been a driving force for him throughout his career, ever since he was overlooked at Michigan and how so many teams passed on him in the 2000 draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots