PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL GAME DAY DISCUSSION Official 2023 Free Agency Thread

Day one of free agency has been disappointing but there are still a lot of players left that could make free agency a success.

Tackle- Orlando Brown Jr., Caleb McGary, maybe Donovan Smith.

cb- Bradbury

safety- Poyer, John Johnson III

Linebacker- LaVonte David, Vanderbilt-Esch, Tranquill.

Receiver- Meyers, OBJ, Juju, Chark, Hopkins or Jeudy via trade.

Please respond with any players you would like on day two of free agency so I can add to my list of targets I’d be happy with on day two.

Wow, can't even sign one mid tier free agent LB, Safety, OT, nothing, re-signing JJ for 2 years and dumping finally Patricia is great though......

I wouldn't touch any of these FA wr's .......Thielen maybe on a 2-3 mil year deal........or Landry....we're pretty much screwed on WR, hopefully we draft Njigba, AT Perry and Charlie Jones, Bobo maybe....man good luck..............sign Giseki maybe

I'd be calling Tranquill LB, or big heart Lavonte, maybe splurge big on a great tackle if any are left.....heck may as well go get Dorsett as an WR4-5, don't see many good ones out there, still waiting to get a new Welker/Edelman

I would add Michael Thomas as a potential trade target. Maybe we can deal him for a 2024 conditional dependent on performance/games played. I would also draft a wr in April so I’m bringing in 2 to add to Parker/Thornton/Bourne.

I know it’s day one but damn, team has holes to fill and plenty of cap space this and next year. Thought they’d make some kind of
Move today.
You have been around for awhile. You know better than that.

If a team is serious about OL, Elu is a nice backup (of 4 positions). Thats his value.
I agree. Is your point that our backups are all better than Elu?
We have 4 starters and 6 backups. Of course, we'll add more before Training
Camp.

BACKUPS
Steuber, Ferentz, Hussey, Hines, McDermott, and Cajuste.

There was a lot more o line off the market other than Mike.
You gotta pay someone and these players contribute the difference between winning and losing.
The very best value where we pick in the draft is at OT; so no, we don't have to pay a huge amound of money for an OT. We could even draft a corner at 14 and trade back up into the first for our starting OT (choosing a player better able to start than Cajuste or McDermott).

The very best value where we pick in the draft is at OT; so no, we don't have to pay a huge amound of money for an OT. We could even draft a corner at 14 and trade back up into the first for our starting OT (choosing a player better able to start than Cajuste or McDermott).
The only OT I'd want at 14 are Paris Johnson and Broderick Jones. I think Skoronski will ultimately end up at guard.

I would add Michael Thomas as a potential trade target. Maybe we can deal him for a 2024 conditional dependent on performance/games played. I would also draft a wr in April so I’m bringing in 2 to add to Parker/Thornton/Bourne.
IIRC, Thomas will most likely be released by tomorrow night.

I do not mind if we grab Lavonte David, Orlando Brown from the list given above.
CJ Gardner-Johnson would also bolster our DB group in the face of DMac's retirement. He was a very good last season in Eagles.

The only guy I was interested in was Jessie Bates. Not a great FA class this year and none of those remaining, apart from Jakobi, whet the appetite.

On to the draft!

You're criticizing Bill for not giving the highest contract in history for a linebacker who can't make the Pro Bowl.

Belichick gave the highest contract in NFL history to a CB -- Stephon Gilmore -- who was an All-Pro. He's not afraid to give top contracts.

What are we doing here people? Complaining about not signing a merely good player to the top contract at his position?
Gilmore wasn't an All-Pro when the Patriots gave him the bag. He had made one Pro-Bowl as an alternate in 5 years in Buffalo at that point. Edmunds has made two.

I agree. Is your point that our backups are all better than Elu?
We have 4 starters and 6 backups. Of course, we'll add more before Training
Camp.

BACKUPS
Steuber, Ferentz, Hussey, Hines, McDermott, and Cajuste.

Id be ok with Elu back on a backup deal. Even a solid backup deal. More than ok, its on my list.

Id have a hard time calling the rest of the lot serious backups.
They are PS players in my book except probably Hines and possibly Cajuste IF healthy.

This is NE starting lineup:

LT - lazy Brown w weight incentives / penalty machine / injury waiting to happen
LG - Strange - promising sophomore w learning, weight lifting ahead
C - Andrews - aging & undersized w serious illness history - great in every other aspect - and i love him
RG - Onwenu - stud
RT - NOBODY

If one thinks rookies (mediocre class at that) or FA leftovers can turn this pathetic situation around in 2023 one is delusional.

The way they were going about OL after Dante doesnt put either Mac or the team in best position to succeed. Period.

-.-

Last edited:

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes